Bioshock lived up to the hype, and then some. Scores like 9.5/10, 10/10

I played system shock 2 for the first time a couple years ago and that experience has me pretty excited for this game. And, for those who never played system shock, I got it from home of the underdogs as abandonware. It looks like they've still got it up for download for anyone who wants to try it. So far as I know stuff on their site is legal but, if not, please correct me and I'll get this link out of here.

Sysemt Shock 2

As I recall, its a little tricky to get working as you have to uncompress some of the audio. There's also a patch and a high resolution texture pack out there for the game which makes it look a little better. If you're looking forward to Bioshock, give this a try first.

I played system shock 2 for the first time a couple years ago and that experience has me pretty excited for this game. And, for those who never played system shock, I got it from home of the underdogs as abandonware. It looks like they've still got it up for download for anyone who wants to try it. So far as I know stuff on their site is legal but, if not, please correct me and I'll get this link out of here.

Sysemt Shock 2

As I recall, its a little tricky to get working as you have to uncompress some of the audio. There's also a patch and a high resolution texture pack out there for the game which makes it look a little better. If you're looking forward to Bioshock, give this a try first.

Very little on their site is legal. Most abandoware is illegal. Unless the owner changes the license, in the USA, it's 75 years after the game was published.

You can, however, buy a legal copy at: http://www.gameswarehouse.com.au/longpage.asp?gameid=2950

Anyways, I'm looking forward to BioShock. While I will be buying Crysis and UT3, they have no chance at being a better game than BioShock, if we look at previous accomplishments. And multiplayer... Eh, extremely overrated.

I think you're wrong about UT3 and Crysis I think they have some cool new gameplay elements, which have never been done in that context before.

The nano suit in Crysis is going to massively change the way you can aproach each situation, outright stealth, stealth with silenced weapons (assassination), full on assault guns blazing, long range sniper attacks, predator style hand to hand beind able to jump on roofs and smash your way inside and attack with melee. Being able to switch between all those game types is quite unique the closest thing I can think of is maybe Deus Ex.

UT3 has a cool new game mode with maps which seamlessly transition into each other, altering how you start/end rounds, gameplay with hoverboards and being able to attach to vehicles is neat and innovative.

Bioshock looks to excel at story and graphics, it's gameplay doesn't look like what I'd call revolutionary. Most of the videos I've seen are just run and gun in tight close quater areas.

gameplay wise bioshock looks ten times more innovative than UT. I love UT don't get me wrong, but I think it's hilarious that you criticize bioshock for being "run and gun" as if that's not exactly what UT will be, and always has been.

gameplay wise bioshock looks ten times more innovative than UT. I love UT don't get me wrong, but I think it's hilarious that you criticize bioshock for being "run and gun" as if that's not exactly what UT will be, and always has been.

Run and gun is fun while innovation frequently breeds finnicky and gimmicky gameplay that breaks easily and leaves the gamer feeling like they are cornered by the choices that they make in a more open-ended game. That's how I felt playing STALKER, I had a constant sense of apprehension like I would do something that would screw up the game's storyline in such a way that I would have to start all over again (if I didn't have any recent saves). It left sort of a bad taste in my mouth with regard to the hybridization of story driven, open-ended RPG gameplay with heavy duty first person shooting that I can't help but think is going to be present in Bioshock.

Run and gun is fun while innovation frequently breeds finnicky and gimmicky gameplay that breaks easily and leaves the gamer feeling like they are cornered by the choices that they make in a more open-ended game. That's how I felt playing STALKER, I had a constant sense of apprehension like I would do something that would screw up the game's storyline in such a way that I would have to start all over again (if I didn't have any recent saves). It left sort of a bad taste in my mouth with regard to the hybridization of story driven, open-ended RPG gameplay with heavy duty first person shooting that I can't help but think is going to be present in Bioshock.

Score one for Krameriffic

I think we've all been somewhat mislead by all of this, a recent interview the with the lead developer revealed that gameplay was actually primarily aimed at run and gun shooting, that is what is the largest common denominator between players (no doubt this is due to pressure from publishers). With that as primary focus, the story telling and other methods of tackling your enemies become a secondary focus, to me it sounds like you can shoot your way through most battles without any real issue.

This is in stark contrast to the what was originally explained to us in developer diarys and such, where a careful blend of weapons/plasmids/adam was needed to get through the game and you would balance all 3 to stay alive.

Lets not turn this into a UT vs BS thread! This is a good time for gamers - so let us enjoy it.

Lets not turn this into a UT vs BS thread! This is a good time for gamers - so let us enjoy it.

By that you mean of course single player versus multiplayer. While we're at it, lets start a lamps versus chicken soup battle. They're just as unrelated but hey, at least it's got chicken.

I think we've all been somewhat mislead by all of this, a recent interview the with the lead developer revealed that gameplay was actually primarily aimed at run and gun shooting, that is what is the largest common denominator between players (no doubt this is due to pressure from publishers). With that as primary focus, the story telling and other methods of tackling your enemies become a secondary focus, to me it sounds like you can shoot your way through most battles without any real issue.

This is in stark contrast to the what was originally explained to us in developer diarys and such, where a careful blend of weapons/plasmids/adam was needed to get through the game and you would balance all 3 to stay alive.

If you've seen any of the most recent videos, they actually narrate as a developer enters a room, tries just shooting the shit out of everything, gets owned, then goes back two more times and wins the encounters with awesome combos of powers, hacking and such. I don't think you're following too much of this game if you think it'll be a shooter in the traditional mold.

And you still didn't answer how you think UT isn't run and gun.

If you've seen any of the most recent videos, they actually narrate as a developer enters a room, tries just shooting the shit out of everything, gets owned, then goes back two more times and wins the encounters with awesome combos of powers, hacking and such. I don't think you're following too much of this game if you think it'll be a shooter in the traditional mold.

And you still didn't answer how you think UT isn't run and gun.

Hah well, from what I've seen of the developers videos and their completely lame analogue strick console control that's clearly apparant in all of their videos, I'm surprised they can tackle one enemy much less several. I never claimed it was a "traditional shooter" I expect it will have some neat additional features, what I'm questioning is innovative gameplay.

Unreal Tournament IS run and gun, it's designed to be run and gun from the ground up, but it's advertised and marketed that way to the gamers, lets not forget that run and gun shooters can be innovative as well. Bioshock was presented to us as something deeper and more involved when in fact close to its release date we start getting told that's really not the case, that it's secondary to the gameplay and more or less optional for completing the game.

I got less excited about bioshock the more I saw of it. That said, if I remember right, H-L2 was highly-anticipated, got very high reviews and "lived up to the hype" and I never saw the appeal.

Maybe this "living up to the hype" is merely one's own anticipation building to the point where it's an amazing game for you to play regardless? As in, maybe if the same people reviewing it had never heard a word spoken of it before they played it, would they have enjoyed it as much?

I got less excited about bioshock the more I saw of it. That said, if I remember right, H-L2 was highly-anticipated, got very high reviews and "lived up to the hype" and I never saw the appeal.

Maybe this "living up to the hype" is merely one's own anticipation building to the point where it's an amazing game for you to play regardless? As in, maybe if the same people reviewing it had never heard a word spoken of it before they played it, would they have enjoyed it as much?

Single player FPS games have only ever had that much to offer unfortunately. There's just something much more interesting to shooting enemies that are controlled by other people instead of AI, no matter how advanced it gets.

Well, i'm talking about how much the reviews coincided with people's thoughts of earlier work done by well known developers, or having sequels to very well known games. Hell, I never heard of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape for Butcher Bay until I saw a review for it on Gamespot. It got like a 9(something) out of ten review, and i'm like, "Wow, must be good." SO I went right over to a retail store, picked it up, and loved every minute of it.

Half Life 2, I just knew was going to be good b/c I played the original Half Life when it came out, and absolutely loved it and thought it was revolutionary story telling in a FPS, and now Half Life 2's story telling with their physics engine, and their in-game facial expressions and being able to very accurately tell the story and show the emotions of NPCs without resorting to CGI. And also, it was a sequel to arguably one of the, if not the best FPSs of all time. So, it's different for everyone. But, a majority of people loved System Shock, and System Shock 2 (which I haven't played either), and when this game was announced as a "spiritual successor," everyone knew the game would be great b/c of the strong development team backing it, and the reviews given thus far.

But Like Butcher Bay proved, you don't have to over-hype, or over advertise anything to make a great game which was even in consideration for Game of the Year by Gamespot.

Sysemt Shock 2

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65259

I think this should be considered the final word on if it's abandoned or not....

"Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it"

they should bring System shock 2 to XBL like they just did with marathon.

System Shock 2? Buy it buy it buy it. Best, most immersive, most compelling singleplayer experience I've had in front of a computer. I still remember the first time a hybrid came lurching around the corner, swinging a pipe at me while whatever portion of it was still human begged me to "ruuuuNNNN...AAwwwaaaYY." As for getting it to work under XP....

The possibility that Bioshock is in anywhere near the same league has me giddy like a schoolgirl.

System Shock 2? Buy it buy it buy it. Best, most immersive, most compelling singleplayer experience I've had in front of a computer. I still remember the first time a hybrid came lurching around the corner, swinging a pipe at me while whatever portion of it was still human begged me to "ruuuuNNNN...AAwwwaaaYY." As for getting it to work under XP....

The possibility that Bioshock is in anywhere near the same league has me giddy like a schoolgirl.

Very much agreed. I install XP on a seperate HD just to play it...

Install System Shock 2
Install the official patch to the newest version
Apply this fix
Play in XP

Back