Bioshock 2 GFWL problems

spotpuff

Gawd
Well, I bought BS2 through Steam. I was a big fan of the first game, figured this would be great. GFWL is giving me the error message "cannot download your profile". I tried logging into GFWL through Windows and it works, but through Bioshock it isn't working. The first time I ran Bioshock it brought up a firewall warning (Win 7 64 bit) and I "allowed" it access to the net, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Long story short: I've tried for a couple hours to get the game working, and it still doesn't, and there is no solution posted anywhere about this. Can't believe I paid $45 and wasted 8gb (of a 60gb monthly cap). I have friends who pirated the game and are playing it and I'm stuck unable to play with no solution. I feel like an idiot for buying this game.

If anyone has any suggestions, they are appreciated, I just have no idea where to post. I'm at work so Steam/GFWL are blocked, but is this a 2K games problem? Steam issue? GFWL issue? My guess is they will all pass the buck and I can't get my money back for the purchase.

I'm in the exact same boat as you buddy.

For whatever reason, I can't log in to GFWL from the in-game client in Fallout 3, DoW 2 and GTAIV, but can log in properly in the stand alone client. The kicker is that it works fine when I boot into my XP partition. There are alot of fixes out there and none have worked for me so far but you may have better luck. You need to allow Steam, GFWL and Bioshock 2 to pass through Windows Firewall. Also, try launching the game as Administrator (right click -> launch as Administrator).

You will also need certain ports open and proper NAT and MTU settings. There is a MS support page that will let you test for compatability. There is also as Winsock / TCP/IP reset from an elevated command prompt that worked for a lot of people. Go to the GFWL main support forum for connection issues or just google the error message for lots of posts on various forums.

If any of the above is over your head (this is [H] so I'm not expecting it) you would be better off calling the Live support line. You need to go through the XBOX Live options to get to GFWL though.

Good luck, hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

I did run/try some "test" for GFWL and I passed everything (UPNP and "multiple connections" included). I didn't know I needed to set up more ports/firewall stuff in addition to that, since GFWL can log in fine on its own, I figured the "in-game" version would be ok as well.

I guess the most frustrating thing is I checked the steam forums and the GFWL forums and though a few people are having this issue, more are having the "Logging into GFWL crashes the game" problem, or corrupted saves problem, than this. There isn't a link to "help" with "couldn't download your profile" issues, which would be great to have IN the GFWL program instead of making me google everything.

It should NOT be this hard to get a game I paid for working.

When you get that error message check your network status.

For me it shows "IP address not signed in" and "UPnP not signed in". Is that what you have? If that's the case, there is a laundry list of potential fixes. I've heard everything from disabling your second LAN port to making sure your system clock is correct.

If you pass all of the tests you shouldn't need to open additional ports but it doesn't hurt to set them manually just in case. There are also known issues with some 3rd party anti-virus and firewall software so you may need to disable or even uninstall that.

For whatever reason GFWL is extremely finnicky with Windows 7 and I've been SOL for weeks. There are seriously so many possible fixes that I can't list them all here. If you can't solve it on your own, call them up and get on the phone with somebody that knows what they're doing.

Yeah that's what I get in the network status. I guess I will google more when I get home; if you have some links on what possible fixes there are that would help, but if there's a lot of options it indicates it's not an easy fix potentially. No 2nd LAN port and clock is ok I hope :)

I'm running MSE and the default windows firewall, so I don't think 3rd party is a huge issue for those types of software.

Thanks for the response. At least I know I'm not alone.

Just google stuff like "GFWL UPnP not signed in" and variations of that. At gamesforwindows.com you can navigate to the support forums that have some pretty comprehensive guides to pour over.

There was also a good thread about this issue on the Steam forums. Again, nothing wound up working for me so if it comes down to it set aside an hour or two and call in. Everyone that the basic fixes didn't work on seemed to find some back asswards solution from speaking to a live tech support guy. I haven't done it myself because I'm lazy and I have other games to play.

Good luck.

it's situations like this which is why I don't like shit like GFWL on my god damn PC when Steam is really all the DRM you need when you buy the game from Steam

Back