Bios says cpu is at 3.8 but start up screen says 3.0??

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
so i have a e8400 its usually clocked at 3.8 today when my comp loaded it said 3.0ghz so i went to the bios and the fsb is set to 423 and enabled yet every time i reset it goes back to 3.0 but the bios still says 423 fsb enabled. whats up with that?

Is the the BIOS boot screen that says it is 3.0... or is it in Windows that says it is 3.0?

did you disable all power saving features? If not, it is probably dropping the multiplier when the CPU isn't under any load in order to save power.

Also, Windows doesn't report the CPU speed properly when overclocked. You can get CPU-Z to see what it is really running at.

juss dl cpu z and it does say 3.0. on the start up it says 3.0 ghz, on the properties of my computer it says 3.o but in the bios it self it says 3.8 jus started doin this out of no where. i had it at 3.8 for years never touched anything.

ok messed with the bios again no matter what i do with the FSB it automatically says 333 even tho i enable it in the bios to go to 423 FSB. i can totally tell its at 3.0 playing sc2 now lags in large battles.

I think you might need to disable the power savings features. When I first booted my 930, CPU-Z read it as 1.8GHz until I turned the settings off.

Exactly! There are sooo many other ways to save power than
to worry about a silly throttle up and down feature. I don't know,
maybe cut a minute off your everyday hot shower. :D

I think you might need to disable the power savings features. When I first booted my 930, CPU-Z read it as 1.8GHz until I turned the settings off.

ok i seemed to have fixed it i reseted the cmos battery and put my ram on the other 2 slots. working so far.

ok well nm it stayed at its 3.8 but now is not stable urghh. i swapped out the cpu with my gfs same deal either is doesnt hold the clock or if it is oc at all it wont be stable. you guys think this is a mobo problem?

are you using a gigabyte motherboard? if so, this happens pretty regularly to some people.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

are you using a gigabyte motherboard? if so, this happens pretty regularly to some people.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yeah i have a gigabute ds2r g33 mobo. most likely a mobo problem im guessing? funny how this all started after i reformatted and swapped my 160 gb WD HDD for a 1 TB f3 Samsung.

Back