Bios problem, please help!

smithy1185

n00b
For some reason whenever I do a windows update and restart my computer, windows(and linux) cannot see my network adapters on the motherboard(see sig). Anyway, usually restarting it again will fix but sometimes not.

Today, I had this happen again so I decided to update the bios from 1305 to 2406 to see if this will fix this frustrating problem. Updated easily although when it restarted, it mentioned some cmos settings being off and I noticed that my cpu speed now reads 2.13Ghz instead of 2.4.

I reset the cmos but the cpu speed still isn't right. Can someone please help me with this?

Have you tried going back to the previous BIOS version?

Have you tried updated network drivers for the devices after a windows update?

I tried the version on the motherboard resource cd, but it said that it was an older version than the current. I have also tried installing the network drivers after a windows update but it usually doesn't work. Its weird because I can usually get it working if I reset the bios setting back to default and unplug the network cables.

Unfortunately I just read on the Asus forum that you are supposed to set the motherboard settings to default before updating the bios. I can't remember for sure since I kept setting it back to default but I might have set the ram at 6400 because by default the mobo says that it is 5300 even though the ram is not.

Would reseating the cpu fix it possibly?

probably not, wouldn't hurt to try though, could always try the BIOS reset switch on the board (normally in the manual as CLR CMOS jumper switch, and 98% of the time near the CMOS battery), normally you can go back to a previous bios, even though it says that it's older it should still give you the option of going ahead anyway. Especially as you already have the updated BIOS on disk somewhere if you had to put it back on there.

Got it fixed. Someone directed me to the Asus forums. Apparently the latest bios has a problem with the E6600 where it sets the multiplier down to 8. Manually setting it back up to 9 solved the problem.

Back