Bios Password. Agggh!!!

Phimp

Gawd
HP Compaq d530 desktop pc.

Bios is password protected, I've tried every master password from every list i could find, and none worked.
I tried unplugging, and taking out the cmos battery for a few hours which usually works.
I even tried booting up a dos floppy and using KILLCMOS.COM which resets the password.. or is supposed to anyways, I've used it before and it's worked on other pc's.
but afterwards, all of the bios settings have reset, but it is still password protected.
And after doing that, now for some stupid reason, my hard drive is screwed up... it boots into windows WAAAYYY slow and it freezes at "Windows is starting up" or whatever, just before it gets to the desktop, i even have a mouse... but it never does anything.. haven't tried safe mode yet, but i dont really care about that, i just want to clear this damn bios password!

I even tried booting up a floppy and flashing a new/upgraded bios to the computer.... and before it completes, it asks for the damn bios password on the bios screen! wtf?!

My fellow [H]'ers, I need help!

reset the cmos jumper and remove the battery for about 30 minutes to a couple of hours, then you will get access, but you will then have to reconfigure the bios again.

just to add, move the jumper and leave it moved to its reset position, then remove the battery for a few hours, later replace jumper and then replace battery.

It could also be that their is a jumper that retains the password and until you reset that specific jumper the password wont change, depends on what board you have.

ya i tried that, twice now.
i may try it overnight since i'm running out of options.
i just tried the 3 most recommended utilities for cmos password hacking/resetting. one linux cd, and two dos floppies with hack programs on them and tried every password suggestion they spit out.

So I guess I'll set the cmos reset jumper (i think it's actually a button on this motherboard) and take out the battery and unplug the power overnight and hope for the best in the morning. After that I guess I can try contacting HP support?

:confused:

It could also be that their is a jumper that retains the password and until you reset that specific jumper the password wont change, depends on what board you have.

i think the longest they can last is about 3 days.

wait three days (unplugged and all) or get a magnifying glass and start reading the mobo for pswd res.

well... after checking over the entire motherboard for the millionth time, I found a jumper hiding underneath my ide cable.
it's labeled "PASSWORD ? JUMP"
It's 2 pins and they are already "jumped".
so i pulled the jumper off and turned it on.
the normally green led on the front of the pc flashed red and it turned off after a couple seconds.
but now i can't get it to even POST... it is always flashing red for a couple seconds then turns off. ive tried everything, resetting the cmos, jumping/unjumping the password pins, removing the battery & power cable for a minute...

this one has got me stumped.

alright, well after a few more dozen combinations of removing the battery, holding the cmos reset button, and powering the pc, i figured out that the "PASSWORD" basically does exactly what it sounds like... when it's jumped, there is a friggin unbreakable password. when the jumper was removed, and i booted, it went into the bios without asking for a password... but i had tried this previously and it didn't work?

anyways... glad i finally got it figured it.

now it's time for sleep :)

thanks for the help/suggestions guys.

Back