BIOS flash issues with 5770 - help?

buzzbomb

Gawd
I was attempting to raise the OC threshold on my HIS 5770 and the flash worked but now I only get a black screen off that card. The card was stable @ 960MHz so I used RBE to extract/edit the stock ROM and changed the upper limit to 1100MHz - the only change I made - and successfully flashed the card. Once I saw the black screen of death I switched out to an old 8600GT as primary and tried using ATIFLASH in DOS to reflash the stock BIOS ROM...it says the flash is successful and the card's info changes with the ROM but the card is still dead. I also tried going with an ASUS 5770 BIOS and it still says it's successful but black screen. I even tried the "blind flash" method with only the affected 5770 inserted and it doesn't respond. DOS and Windows recognize the card but it doesn't output video...how hosed in this card?

Sounds hosed to me! Did you back up the original bios on it or grab one from the internet?

I backed up the original from the card before flashing the modified BIOS. When I attempt to flash the original ROM it says it flashed successfully but the card still doesn't work.

Nothing, eh? I know it's only a 5770 and they are nearly disposable at this point, but many of us homeowning types don't have that much disposable income to throw around on new cards all the time.

Also - I posted in the general Video Cards forum thinking that it isn't really an ATI-specific issue, if that was a mistaken assumption can one of our helpful mods move the thread to the ATI forum?

Back