BIOS Detects CDROM but XP doesn't?

Specs:
A7V333
768mb crucial ram
1800+
generic 24X10X32 burner.
Shitty shitty PSU

I installed windows XP on this computer with a CD in the burner. As soon as xp came up, no cd rom was detected. It's still detected in the BIOS> All the 4-in-1's are installed and everything. ideas?

My win2k machine would reboot after trying to start a game after I moved. I figured I would bring it to work and reformat. As it turns out, I grabbed a thicker power cord (the one that actually came with my 550 Watt enermax) and the problem disappeared without a format. As it turns out, the extra power connector to the ATI card forced a reboot whenever trying to launch a game because there wasn't enough juice I guess.

Its possible your PSU is your problem. It may detect in the BIOS under low poWer conditions, but as more things tax the PSU it doesn't have enough juice that XP detects it properly. Regardless, you should replace that PSU as its a cheap, easy investment and a higher wattage PSU will transcend future upgrades and additions.

That happened to me to, but after I had had my computer running for a while. In my case I found out that if you uninstall certain versions of burning software, such as Roxio (used by XP), it will leave some weird registry keys that'll keep your CD drives from getting recognized. I hadn't uninstalled any software, but the fix was worth a shot. Google it if you need to. This is what I found off of the SiliconGuides forum, as posted by a guest.

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"
Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

Even if you remove these keys, your CD burning software should still work just fine, so don't worry.

Hope that helps! :D

Fezdog192 said:
That happened to me to, but after I had had my computer running for a while. In my case I found out that if you uninstall certain versions of burning software, such as Roxio (used by XP), it will leave some weird registry keys that'll keep your CD drives from getting recognized. I hadn't uninstalled any software, but the fix was worth a shot. Google it if you need to. This is what I found off of the SiliconGuides forum, as posted by a guest.

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"
Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

Even if you remove these keys, your CD burning software should still work just fine, so don't worry.

Hope that helps! :D

Damn, someone beat me to the punch! This will fix it 99.99999% of the time. Also some more info, it's not just if you install or uninstall Roxio or some programs, these keys are used by XP's built in burning software. They fixed this issue (fixed? They FIXED something?) in SP1. Delete the keys, reboot, problem solved.

If it was a power supply issue, the drives would not respond to BIOS detection commands on power up or reset.

Back