Bios beeping, help

pothb

Supreme [H]ardness
Atleast that's what I think it is.

Everytime I start up my computer, it gives me 2 short beeps, pause then another short beep. Anyone have a clue, what the error is? I tried looking up for that particular pattern, but I come up short.

I think it's memory, but I haven't got a clue.

I have a 939 motherboard, RS482M4-ILD.

Closest pattern I could find.....

Repeating short beeps: Power supply or system board problem

Actually, I'm on it right now. It all seems to run just fine, and has been for some time, but some times it shuts off by itself (or so I think anyway, since I'm never home or nearby when it does it).

Also, company of MB is MSI.

EDIT: After restarting it a couple of times, the pause seemed to have gone, its only 3 beeps in a row now. :confused:

EDIT 2: I just found the list of AMI beeps, says its memory(the one without the pause)... might have to look into that. Do you guys have any suggestions??

Whenever you get beeps like that on a new install, try re-seating all your cards and memory sticks. Also check to make sure all your PS connections are fully seated and you didn't miss one. I've had the beeps happen before and I swore everything was seated well. Turned out it was my video card. had to REALLY jam it in hard to get the final "click"!

I've checked my memory, vid card and stuff before. Everything seemed to be in good. I'll check again though. But with the 3 short beeps, it looks like a memory thing.

Actually, I'm on it right now. It all seems to run just fine, and has been for some time, but some times it shuts off by itself (or so I think anyway, since I'm never home or nearby when it does it).

Also, company of MB is MSI.

EDIT: After restarting it a couple of times, the pause seemed to have gone, its only 3 beeps in a row now. :confused:

EDIT 2: I just found the list of AMI beeps, says its memory(the one without the pause)... might have to look into that. Do you guys have any suggestions??

i would say that you should definitely do this:

1. To make sure all the power is drained out of the capacitors, with the system on pull the plug from the power supply (e.g. shut computer down, turn on, and then pull plug). this drains all the power from the board and all other components.
2. Disconnect EVERYTHING inside. that means unplug and reseat all expansion cards, RAM, 24 pin power connector, 4 pin power connector, etc etc etc
3. CLEAR your CMOS fully. that means unplug the system, move the clear CMOS jumper, and then remove the watch battery on the board. leave it for an hour or two.
4. Pray :p

after that, try swapping out the memory and video card, etc etc, and see if you stop getting beeps. I have a feeling its your RAM.

Adam

Back