BIOS Beep Sequence

dia19

Gawd
What does it mean for a low beep - high beep - low beep - high beep - low beep - etc.

I think it means the AGP has gone bad or bad connection. I've tried 2 different AGP cards and 1 PCI card but the noise still exists.

What is the cause of this? Is the motherboard dead?

Thanks

Different BIOS vendors have different beep codes, i.e. Award's are different than AMI's. I believe that the one you are hearing is a CPU warning.

Lothar

Lothar said:
Different BIOS vendors have different beep codes, i.e. Award's are different than AMI's. I believe that the one you are hearing is a CPU warning.

Lothar
couldn't have said it better :p

Let me give you a little more info..

She left her computer on overnight and when she got back the next morning to her office, the monitor was off and making those noises.

I dont remember what MOBO i put in there but i'll try to get her to tell me, but grr i hate asking people that dont know anything about PCs other than to turn it on to open it up.

I'm sorry...but that little bit of info gave us nothing to the insight of the problem. If the processor, in some way, was damaged, it could have very well have blue screened, then rebooted automagically, then produced the error codes you produced.

Yes, a Phoenix bios vs a AMI bios vs a Award bios will differ. Different beep codes are documented.

you gave us absolutely no insight if it was an AMD, Intel, or Cyrix processor. Do you honestly believe that of the above manufacturers of motherboards would produce the same identical beep codes? HA!

Just humor us for a bit and you might...just might...be suprised

If you were the almighty word on who was experienced in motherboards, you woudn't be asking such questions...now would you?

edit: It just *might* be the psu. To diagnose a problem like this, one *might* have to actually do some work and crack open the case.

Thanks Fark for your sarcastic tone .... dont be such as ass.

If i could tell you about the contents of the computer i would, however this so called computer is 4 hours away and not sitting beside me. I would even look up the manufacturer and find out but again i DO NOT have the computer beside me. I simply told yall what I was told by the person.

I thought asking might help me out and the posts above you helped me other than yours since it had no real content but to flame.. thanks. Only your edit was of real information.

dia19 said:
but grr i hate asking people that dont know anything about PCs other than to turn it on to open it up.
How can you make a comment like this, and then get so sensitive when its dished right back to you?

That sequence in Award BIOS's are usually a CPU temperature warning.

My bet is the CPU fan died, but this is just a guess, open it up and see.

==>Lazn

Back