bios beep code 2 long-3 long

reb00tin

Gawd
It's a new Gigabyte mobo with AMD cpu. It worked for a couple of days then, no boot, no display, just beep codes -- 2 long-3 long. I swapped the video card, still the same beeps. Is it bad CPU or mobo? I googled but nothing, any ideas?

I checked my Gigabyte book, I have an Intel board but I figured maybe, there is nothing in there. I did find this site though. http://www.bioscentral.com/ It has lists of beep codes for all bios' maybe you'll have some luck there.

It's a new Gigabyte mobo with AMD cpu. It worked for a couple of days then, no boot, no display, just beep codes -- 2 long-3 long. I swapped the video card, still the same beeps. Is it bad CPU or mobo? I googled but nothing, any ideas?

If it's brand new as in "within your thirty day return policy" new, and your other parts test good in other systems, just RMA it.

who makes the bios?

did see that for phoenix 2 - 3 - 2 and stuff around here for patterns means bad memory.

Thank you all. It's Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG, 2-3-long was not in the link.

Memory is known good, but mobo & cpu are brand new. So the question is, do I return the cpu, mobo or both?

I'll swap a known good mobo, and if it still beeps then it's the cpu? It's a965BE, it came in sealed retail box, but it had some wear on the heatspreader and default voltage was 1.47V...

could be that what you are taking to be 2 long then 3 long might be something else. did see some things about repeating beeps that change from high to low is a bad cpu.

for the memory unless you just tested it you can't really claim it is known good. A stick of memory can appear to be fine and then "suddenly" go bad overnight. So if it came from a previously working machine you would still want to test that also.

troubleshooting unknown bios beeps can be a pain.

trying the cpu in another motherboard would be one way. only thing is that i'm normally a little iffy about trying that with a cpu of unknown health if the motherboard is something you are afraid of losing. Had a case once where I knew either a CPU or the motherboard had failed in a computer. my coworker decided to check by swapping the CPU from that computer with his since it was the same sock type and close to the same model. turned out it was a bad CPU and it ended up killing his machine. So then not only did we have to replace the first machine but his also.

if it was me and I knew there was no question it was one of those two I would just try to RMA them both that way if it was a bad CPU there wouldn't be the chance it damaged the board and then cause issues once you get the new CPU, or if it was a bad board it didn't fry the CPU any causing issues with that.

Thank you. I swapped-in a different mobo and everything works. I'm surprised because I've had good luck with Gigabyte, not so much with Asus. BTW it's a GA-990XA-UD3, I will return it to newegg.

So what to replace it with? What's the most reliable AM3+ mobo? I don't care for overclocking or fancy heatsinks, just reliable. "Corporate stable" will do.

I will return it to newegg.

Having read a thread here on Newegg's horrible RMA, I recommend you take pictures of the motherboard before you send it in, because they are damaging them and returning it as customer caused. Mostly intel LGA boards though but you never know. As far as AMD motherboards go I am more of an Intel guy so I will wait for someone else to recommend something decent. In my Intel builds I use MSI/ASUS and they have never given me issues. ASUS has a horrible RMA policy though so be wary of that.

Thank you. I swapped-in a different mobo and everything works. I'm surprised because I've had good luck with Gigabyte, not so much with Asus. BTW it's a GA-990XA-UD3, I will return it to newegg.

So what to replace it with? What's the most reliable AM3+ mobo? I don't care for overclocking or fancy heatsinks, just reliable. "Corporate stable" will do.

with the way that everything is mass produced you are bound to have an issue with something. Getting a dead on arrival or dead shortly after arrive is bound to happen with just about any brand if you buy enough or are just unlucky once in buying. It is when you notice that rate going up and that you need to worry.

back when we hand built all our computers I stopped buying Antec power supplies for that reason. Noticed that we started to have a few fail at work (out of 70 pcs) after about 2 years, then got to about 40 - 50% failure rate within 1 - 2 years. what really made me switch was there toward the end the one I had in my home machine died, RMAed it got a new one that was all smashed up. Had them send me out another one. Put it into my computer, turned it on about 10 minutes later heard a loud pop, seen it spark and smoke started pouring out. took it out. threw it away and bought a brand new one from somebody else. And decided for power supplies they would never have my business again. Went to work and tossed out the few ones that we had sitting on the shelves as replacement stock and just got new ones to make sure that didn't happen to any of them there. this was about 5 years ago so they might have gotten back to being good quality again but I don't care to find out.

Having read a thread here on Newegg's horrible RMA, I recommend you take pictures of the motherboard before you send it in, because they are damaging them and returning it as customer caused. Mostly intel LGA boards though but you never know. As far as AMD motherboards go I am more of an Intel guy so I will wait for someone else to recommend something decent. In my Intel builds I use MSI/ASUS and they have never given me issues. ASUS has a horrible RMA policy though so be wary of that.

Its been some time since I had to RMA anything with newegg, sucks that their RMA process went down hill like that then. they used to be decent to work with.

How was that memory known to be good, as opposed to just never having shown an error during normal operation or during testing?

If you liked that Gigabyte board, just get another. Gigabyte makes very good motherboards but even the best manufacturer can have a lemon slip thru now and then. I'd just get an exchange because the odds of you getting 2 lemons back to back are pretty low.

Thank you. I know the thread, personally I’m always suspicious of Internet rumors posted by unknown entities without substantial evidence.

I returned the mobo, and Newegg posted a refund to my Visa card yesterday without incident.

If you liked that Gigabyte board, just get another. Gigabyte makes very good motherboards but even the best manufacturer can have a lemon slip thru now and then. I'd just get an exchange because the odds of you getting 2 lemons back to back are pretty low.

Yes, I ordered another Gigabyte, although a different model GA-Z77X-UD5H, we’ll see if hivy fridge is worth the extra money.

Back