• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

BIOS "auto" voltages on P5Q-Pro

Using Asus P5Q-Pro [Auto] setting for voltages

  • OK+safe for noobies, it won't hurt at all.

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Questionable - may cause headaches.

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Are you crazy!? It'll blow your PC up!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just very non-[H], and will limit OC'ing ability.

    Votes: 4 36.4%

  • Total voters
    11

dmagro

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
257
Although I've read a number of threads on OC'ing, I'm obviously rather new at it.

I just started by bumping the FSB to 333 on my Asus P5Q-PRO with a Q6600. I left all of the voltages to [Auto]. Is that just dumb/dangerous or is it fine for anyone who doesn't have hours to read every thread?

I noticed programs read the VCore at 1.3xx, which seems a bit higher than some people are using.

I haven't stress tested it at all yet (didn't have time), but it showed no signs of any issues at 3Ghz while checking e-mails and such before leaving home.
 
the auto setting will usually run your cpu with a bit more voltage than it could. you should be okay with anything less than a 500-600mhz oc

I have this board, I can't get it to post with all 4 dimms full, neither can anyone else on the net... but hey, in all other aspects it is a decent board.
 
My P5Q Pro posts with 4x2gig dimms.
overall seems to be a decent board, but I'm sending it back to get a P5Q Deluxe instead.

It may prove foolish, as it'll cost me extra $$, but right now I'm not able to overclock my E8400.
I may just have a non-overclockable 8400, but to put my mind at rest I want the better power and cooling on the P5Q Deluxe.

BTW, I had trouble with my old ram - memtested fine with 3 sticks, error with 4 sent it back for replacement.

in the mean time I got 4 sticks of that corsair DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 stuff, had trouble with one of those, but it was easily findable using one stick at a time with memtest so I took it back and the 4 sticks I have now seem to be pretty good.
 
Kind of off-topic, but my P5B Deluxe Vcore at Auto is read by CPU-Z as 1.464V... which is kind of scary tbh
 
Back
Top