• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Binned 2500k?

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
2,764
Anything past 48x or 4800mhz is not stable. But i can post in my bios and enter the bios at 5.1.
Cant get past windows logo no matter what voltage i throw at it and lower the ram speed.

Very odd. Any Idea? V core is at 1.45 Cpu ide at 30c
Currently stable in prime , just tested to test 20. I have played around with many chips and this i find very weird.
 
I think this is one of those strange motherboard/software issues.

For awhile my 2500K wouldn't let me go over 48x either no matter what settings I did. Then one day I decided to just press "auto-tune" from default and it ended up around 4.5GHz. From that point on, I simply moved my BLCK to 100, vCore to 1.4V, DDR to 1.65, PLL to 1.8, and the multiplier to 50x and boom! Instant working 5.0GHz.
 
I think this is one of those strange motherboard/software issues.

For awhile my 2500K wouldn't let me go over 48x either no matter what settings I did. Then one day I decided to just press "auto-tune" from default and it ended up around 4.5GHz. From that point on, I simply moved my BLCK to 100, vCore to 1.4V, DDR to 1.65, PLL to 1.8, and the multiplier to 50x and boom! Instant working 5.0GHz.

Lol are you serious?

thats hilarious. Now I HAVE to try that! what board?
 
I think this is one of those strange motherboard/software issues.

For awhile my 2500K wouldn't let me go over 48x either no matter what settings I did. Then one day I decided to just press "auto-tune" from default and it ended up around 4.5GHz. From that point on, I simply moved my BLCK to 100, vCore to 1.4V, DDR to 1.65, PLL to 1.8, and the multiplier to 50x and boom! Instant working 5.0GHz.

ok ill do auto tune and 1.65 on the ram. My base clock is 100. PL already at 1.8
brb
 
hmm might have to try this as well. My 2500k will post at 5.0ghz just wont boot into windows. Hangs on the screen where it would load selected boot device.
 
hmm might have to try this as well. My 2500k will post at 5.0ghz just wont boot into windows. Hangs on the screen where it would load selected boot device.

yeah its no use , doesnt work

I can post and enter the bios at 5.1 and cant make it past the windows logo on bootup. Must be a binned chip. Runs great 24/7 on 4.8. I cant even raise the bclk over 20 mhz and it will just lock up

I think its windows 7 , needs to be reinstalled?
 
Last edited:
Enable Internal PLL Overvoltage.

Already was done.. Ive tried everything

24/7 stable on 4.8 and should be able to push it higher. No matter what voltages i throw at it nothing. My OS is over a year old and have swapped out mobo , cpu , ram.
Does anyone know if there is a possibility that Windows would need a reinstall to boot into windows?
Its weird, once i get to the logo HDD spins like its going to load then bam locks out. It will do it at 4.9,5.0 and 5.1 GHZ and anything past 4800mhz
 
ok ill do auto tune and 1.65 on the ram. My base clock is 100. PL already at 1.8
brb

Intel doesn't recommend 1.65V RAM for Sandy Bridge, so I wouldn't increase DDR voltage (plus it won't help CPU overclocking anyway). Have you tried adjusting VCCSA and VCCIO?
 
Intel doesn't recommend 1.65V RAM for Sandy Bridge, so I wouldn't increase DDR voltage (plus it won't help CPU overclocking anyway). Have you tried adjusting VCCSA and VCCIO?

No i havent but what do you recommend for the Voltage?

I really think my windows 7 is botched. i can enter my bios at 5.1 but cant boot anything past 4.8

I will reinstalling windows tonight but i can also try your settings . I am running 1.5-1.6 for the ram and its not overclocked. Just the multiplyer
 
It's not your win install. If your stable at 4.8 In windows its your chip or mobo. Could be an unstable psu 12v line as well.
 
Yeah, I don't think it's a Windows problem either - Windows wouldn't just stop working at a higher frequency, it is just putting an actual load on the CPU, which then fails because it isn't stable. Seems like SB chips just have a wall, where it takes excessive voltage to go even a little farther (sometimes PLL Overvoltage can help push it back). You may just be maxed out on the chip. As for VCCSA and VCCIO, I don't recall what the defaults are, but you can just try bumping them a notch or two in the BIOS and see if that helps, one of them controls voltage for the IMC so it would help if that is what is holding you back.
 
Intel doesn't recommend 1.65V RAM for Sandy Bridge, so I wouldn't increase DDR voltage (plus it won't help CPU overclocking anyway). Have you tried adjusting VCCSA and VCCIO?

I've not seen official confirmation of that rumor on any Intel datasheets. Where does it specify that? My ram is XMP and the label itself says 1.65 volts on it and my motherboard defaults to 1.65 for it in XMP mode.
 
BTW, the first time I got to 5.0GHz was through software when I was already inside Windows. Have you tried overclocking when you are in Windows with the ASUS utility? Get into Windows @ 4.8 and then overclock once inside.
 
I've not seen official confirmation of that rumor on any Intel datasheets. Where does it specify that? My ram is XMP and the label itself says 1.65 volts on it and my motherboard defaults to 1.65 for it in XMP mode.

Of course the motherboard is going to supply the voltage that the RAM specifies in the XMP profile if you are using XMP - that's the point or having an XMP profile.

The question is whether you should be using 1.65V RAM, and I had thought it was well established by Intel that the specs were 1.5V +-5%. The datasheet says that Vddq (Processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3) is 1.425 to 1.575 with a typical value of 1.5 (which is 1.5V +-5%) - I guess there might be some debate on whether Vddq in that table (table 7-6) is the same as the actual DDR3 voltage, but given that the IMC is on the chip I'd say it probably is, although I'm not a chip engineer.

In any case, running the RAM at higher voltages, assuming it is 1.5V RAM that the OP is using, isn't going to change the CPU overclocking potential.
 
Last edited:
BTW, the first time I got to 5.0GHz was through software when I was already inside Windows. Have you tried overclocking when you are in Windows with the ASUS utility? Get into Windows @ 4.8 and then overclock once inside.

I will try that thanks!
 
Yeah, I don't think it's a Windows problem either - Windows wouldn't just stop working at a higher frequency, it is just putting an actual load on the CPU, which then fails because it isn't stable. Seems like SB chips just have a wall, where it takes excessive voltage to go even a little farther (sometimes PLL Overvoltage can help push it back). You may just be maxed out on the chip. As for VCCSA and VCCIO, I don't recall what the defaults are, but you can just try bumping them a notch or two in the BIOS and see if that helps, one of them controls voltage for the IMC so it would help if that is what is holding you back.

yeah i think you are correct . The chip is at its full potential.. I reinstalled windows and still does the same issue. I really dont see a benifit messing anything past 4800mhz since i need more power in my GTX 570 to push games. The computer runs super stable no issues
 
OK this is strange in the ROG software where do you change the multiplyer? Because i could of sworn it was there but now its not
 
I've not seen official confirmation of that rumor on any Intel datasheets. Where does it specify that? My ram is XMP and the label itself says 1.65 volts on it and my motherboard defaults to 1.65 for it in XMP mode.

Per the ASUS P8P67 Pro manual, "According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.65v is recommended to protect the CPU."

However, that doesn't mean running your ram at 1.65v will result in anything bad happening. It simply means Intel believes the chance of risk increases above their undefined level of tolerance.
 
Back
Top