Bing Challenges Nation to 'Bing It On'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Beginning today, America can click and choose which Web search results it prefers by participating in the Bing It On Challenge, available at Bing.com. Based on research that indicates people prefer Bing Web search results over Google, Bing is inviting consumers to come and see for themselves with an online test designed to show that the quality of Bing’s Web search results has surpassed Google’s.

Although most people identify themselves as Google searchers, an independent study commissioned by Microsoft Corp. shows people chose Bing Web search results over Google nearly 2-to-1 in blind comparison tests.* Given those findings, Bing decided it is time to let people see for themselves that there is a better option in search.

Wow, I actually use Bing as my main search engine and yet I chose Google in the challenge. Doh!

Awesome. Waited 30 seconds for that page to load. Tells me to go to bing.com to try it. I try the challenge. After taking the 5 rounds/quiz, the page locks up. I guess Google wins by default?

I'm Canadian but whatever, I took the challenge. Ended up in 2 draws and 3 wins for Google. I'll stick with Google I guess.

I was able to figure out from the start which one was Bing and which one was Google. In addition, it appears Google is pulling in personalized search results so that is going to give it an unfair advantage over Bing if you've never used Bing before.

both got it wrong... "What is [H]". I tested as preferring B... maybe I should try it for a while.

avCve.jpg

I gave bing a few tries back in the day, and every time it returned absolutely useless results. I performed the exact same query in Google and always got exactly what I wanted. I even gave bing the benefit of doubt and tried again every few months or so, and always got the same result. Bing sucks.

Google went 5-0 against Bing. What a load of crap Bing is. With my searches it was bringing up worthless shit from craigslist of all places. I didn't ask to buy a Droid RAZR you dumbass search engine. I simply wanted more information on the root counter Motorola added to the RAZR with the ICS update.

Most of these search engines are so far behind Google anyway that they used to (or still do) copy Google's results. I'll stick to Google for now.

Here's why Bing sucks for most of us users: "In addition to better search results, Bing also includes useful information from your friends and experts from Facebook, Twitter, Quora, Foursquare and more, which is not available on Google"

I consider myself a non-aggressive person, I can't even hurt flies... but whenever I hear that "bing" sound in their commercials I want to rip the vocalist's throat then kick them down a flight of stairs

...so, I guess google wins

I use Bing and deal with sometimes dumb search results so I can let someone else collect information and profile me besides Google. :) I started using Bing about two months after Microsoft started promotion of it and things have improved, but they're not great. At least now, I just have to make sometimes two attempts at searching to get what I want instead of going back to Google.

The Bing Challenge is actually a pretty good way to do behaviour analysis at least. They're presenting honest results and, more importantly, picking apart what people do so they can improve their search engine. It's not as much an attempt to convert people as it is a way to hide a comparative analysis of searching under the guise of a game. It was designed to observe and be the basis of improvement, not to beat Google...yet. :)

Google went 5-0 against Bing. What a load of crap Bing is. With my searches it was bringing up worthless shit from craigslist of all places. I didn't ask to buy a Droid RAZR you dumbass search engine. I simply wanted more information on the root counter Motorola added to the RAZR with the ICS update.

The very first result using Bing searching for that exact topic -

http://www.androidauthority.com/ics-firmware-droid-razr-razr-maxx-droid-4-comes-root-checker-110802/

Zero Craigslist results.

I don't see why you would lie about a search engine.

I gave bing a few tries back in the day, and every time it returned absolutely useless results. I performed the exact same query in Google and always got exactly what I wanted. I even gave bing the benefit of doubt and tried again every few months or so, and always got the same result. Bing sucks.

I switched to bing when it started giving me more useful search results than google. That was two years ago. I decided this by using a blind search engine (similar to bing it on, probably just an internal prototype) and logging where I got good results from. The first year bing was out, the results were dismal. Then they did a major internal refresh, and Google started having more issues with spam farms targeting them.

The point is, if you only tried it "back in the day", your evaluation may very well be inaccurate.

http://www.androidauthority.com/ics-firmware-droid-razr-razr-maxx-droid-4-comes-root-checker-110802/

Zero Craigslist results.

Not lying. Trying to figure out what I used as a search term for that one. I didn't mean to search with the string I gave it but google gave me the correct results regardless. Bing gave me a link to a friggin' craigslist ad for a rooted RAZR. Will post the string if I can figure out what I did.

Zero Craigslist results.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=motoro...rola+razr+"root+counter"+ics&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

I didn't know what a root counter was, now I do (though a better search, it seems, would be root checker, since that's what most sites refer to it as, and it gives better results on both sites).

Have to agree with LeninGHOLA: I don't know why you would lie about a search engine.

Not lying. Trying to figure out what I used as a search term for that one. I didn't mean to search with the string I gave it but google gave me the correct results regardless. Bing gave me a link to a friggin' craigslist ad for a rooted RAZR. Will post the string if I can figure out what I did.

I found the string you searched for:

craigslist rooted razr

:p

by offering the test, microsoft gets valuable data on what your searching for that is not returning preferred results compared to google.

In a month or two it will be returning the results you expected.

I tip my hat to you microsoft, well played, well played.

Found the search. droid razr root numbering

Looking again this one is more of a draw. I was just flabbergasted that i would get a stupid craigslist ad for somebody from Tulsa because a craigslist ad has ZERO to do with my search. It never should have popped up in the first place.

Even with that it still would have made it 4-0-1 and a Google win. :p Even doing it again with correct strings I still take Google 5-0.

With Big why does "motorola root counter" bring up Wal-mart links for "motorola back flip root"? That has ZERO to do with the search and two of the top five answers in Bing take you to Wal-Mart.

Skribbelkat said:
The Bing Challenge is actually a pretty good way to do behaviour analysis at least. They're presenting honest results and, more importantly, picking apart what people do so they can improve their search engine. It's not as much an attempt to convert people as it is a way to hide a comparative analysis of searching under the guise of a game. It was designed to observe and be the basis of improvement, not to beat Google...yet.

True, but too little too late. Still won't make me use Bing over Google.

Challenge accepted...

Bingiton.png

...Oh, well I won't be switching from Google anytime soon.

True, but too little too late. Still won't make me use Bing over Google.

I give Google a hard time for being creepy because it's fun. Search is a matter of doing whatever works for you so if that's Google, why not? I just like competitive markets. It's good for companies to have to get inventive to stay ahead of one another. Microsoft's work with Bing gives Google significant competition since they're getting closer to being asignificant presence in search. It's good for everyone.

Capture-6.png

Bing wins round 4 because they offered me videos as well! ;-)

Looks like you were indeed telling the truth. You can expect an apology from the Microsoft employee who claimed you were lying in approximately...never.

Why would I apologize? This is the internet, I've no responsibility here. I can say anything and get away with it. FREEDOM.

I don't work at Microsoft either. It just comes up every time there is a Google vs. Bing thread that someone says Bing didn't deliver the correct results, yet you can verify they usually made their story up. This time, he didn't make it up. Those were pretty mediocre results.

Who are these people that enjoy Bing? Every time ive used it, it gives me back results completely different from google. Given the same search terms, google ALWAYS produces more relevant information for me.

Why would I apologize? This is the internet, I've no responsibility here. I can say anything and get away with it. FREEDOM.

I don't work at Microsoft either. It just comes up every time there is a Google vs. Bing thread that someone says Bing didn't deliver the correct results, yet you can verify they usually made their story up. This time, he didn't make it up. Those were pretty mediocre results.

Yes you have the freedom to be an idiot, run with it little lamb, run...

Google 5/5. I only spam Bing searches for the free MS points. Makes me wonder how much more of their "traffic" is just using it to get free shit for their Xbox's (or free starbucks).

Google 3/1 with one draw. Hopefully this bingiton test will show Microsoft that the "blind study" they paid for produced the results they were hoping it would without the study actually being representative.

Back