Bill Gates ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Anyone who bashes Bill Gates for anything is an idiot. The man is successful beyond measure and has then given more to charity than pretty much anyone ever and is the leader of a group trying to get other rich people to donate most of their fortunes to good causes too.

Stop being jelly, haters...

Anyone who bashes Bill Gates for anything is an idiot. The man is successful beyond measure and has then given more to charity than pretty much anyone ever and is the leader of a group trying to get other rich people to donate most of their fortunes to good causes too.

Stop being jelly, haters...

There's not really a whole lot that comes of average people talking about one of the most financially successful people of our time. In the human race, Bill Gates beat all of us in the most important way in the world of man, so there's always going to be a lot of envy. He's human and flawed like the rest of us and under his leadership Microsoft did a lot of shitty stuff without question. But lots of folks do shitty things and few of them are worth $80 billion dollars.

But lots of folks do shitty things and few of them are worth $80 billion dollars.

And how many of them dump buckets of ice water over their heads? I'm sure he would/could/already has donated tons to ALS before this video. The video was just for the lulz. :cool:

The Hollywood types that are doing this on Facebook are letting me down big time. They have a perfectly good chance to nominate Scarlett Johansson, Kate Upton, Gemma Atkinson, or Christina Hendricks and they never do!

The Hollywood types that are doing this on Facebook are letting me down big time. They have a perfectly good chance to nominate Scarlett Johansson, Kate Upton, Gemma Atkinson, or Christina Hendricks and they never do!

It's only a matter of time my friend, only a matter of time.

Maybe take matters into your own hands? That'd be crazy PR for someone, accept the ALS challenge from some nobody fan.

I love how he pretends to draw up the plans (despite them clearly being computer drawn), and then pretends to assemble the rig using a propane torch (despite the poles being clipped together).

Nothing says "I care about ALS" quite like having someones else do all the hard work for you.

Make a (tax deductable) donation to ALS? Check. Spend the afternoon building a ice water rig? Nope, too busy counting his money.

I'm surprised he didn't pay a professional stunt-double to take that cold shower as well.

Bill Gates has donated more to charity than anyone else - period. He does not receive all his money back, and plans to spend it all, and leave his children with 10 million each.

He literally has done more than anyone else in history for charitable donations. He even formed his own charity to insure his money is efficiently spent, unlike most charities.

I group what you just said in with what michey said earlier about this fad being inconsiderate about drought.

Enough with the self-gratifying negative perspectives - you are looking at the small simple minded picture.

There are plenty of rich guys (like Wall Street execs) who actually deserve your hate. Don't waste it all on Bill Gates.

This really is proof that no matter what you do someone on the internet will shit on it.

clean-water.jpg

The City of Medina WA gets its drinking water from the City of Bellevue. The City of Bellevue gets its drinking water from the Cedar River and South Fork Tolt River watersheds.

Where do those watersheds drain to? Lake Washington.

Where is Bill Gates' house? In the City of Medina on the shore of Lake Washington.

Where did the ice water end up? In Lake Washington.

How much rain has Seattle received so far in 2014? >29 inches, which is 10 inches more than average.

Does this stunt affect children in Africa or those who live in drought-stricken areas? No more than eating everything on your plate saves starving children in Africa.

Might it raise awareness of ALS and increase donations? Perhaps.

It's not benefiting ALS when Mark Zuckerdouche clearly states his challengees have 24 hours to repeat the stupid attention seeking fad or donate $100 and not one video has surfaced showing anyone donating $100 and saving water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TTpXKFBkjk#t=67

Look back at previous posts and see the drought map showing more than half of Washington state in drought status and California might as well be part of Africa considering how bone dry it is.

Bill Gates has done more for the world than Mother Teresa, and this was even before he got into charity full-time.

It's not benefiting ALS when Mark Zuckerdouche clearly states his challengees have 24 hours to repeat the stupid attention seeking fad or donate $100 and not one video has surfaced showing anyone donating $100 and saving water.

Look back at previous posts and see the drought map showing more than half of Washington state in drought status and California might as well be part of Africa considering how bone dry it is.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: That doesn't change the fact that Bill Gates is no where near this drought and is standing over a freaking lake...

This "fad" as you said, has created a lot of awareness and raised a pretty nice chunk of change for research. Get the stick out of your ass and come back down to earth or go back under your bridge which ever shuts you up more.

Yawn. Fart. 1/10.
http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/als-ice-bucket-challenge.html

Quote from the President and CEO of the ALS foundation:
"While the monetary donations are absolutely incredible,” said Newhouse, “the visibility that this disease is getting as a result of the challenge is truly invaluable. People who have never before heard of ALS are now engaged in the fight to find treatments and a cure for ALS."
They have raised a hell of a lot more this year in thanks to the ice bucket challenge than they did last year.
I just don't understand how people can find so much negativity about something positive like this.

Why are the trolls who are blatantly thread crapping with stuff that isn't even Remotely relevant to this not banned yet?

Back OT..

Yea awareness is usually bigger for something than straight donations from the rich. I wasn't aware of it till this and I'm sure there are plenty more who will cumulatively donate more to this than a handful of rich people.

Unlike the Menea Tu Chapa dance challenge that came before this, this ice bucket challenge wastes water when we're in a drought. People should be more considerate of the environmental impact when they start these fads.

Here's a tip. Not everywhere is where you are. Plenty of places have no drought. Washington state is one of them, which is likely where he did the challenge.

I support anyone that works towards destroying California.

+1 for Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerdouche.

Why are the trolls who are blatantly thread crapping with stuff that isn't even Remotely relevant to this not banned yet?

Back OT..

Yea awareness is usually bigger for something than straight donations from the rich. I wasn't aware of it till this and I'm sure there are plenty more who will cumulatively donate more to this than a handful of rich people.

+1 to this... it's just annoying.
Microsoft may not have been the most "do good" company in the world but Gates as a person sure is at the top of the list.

I love how he pretends to draw up the plans (despite them clearly being computer drawn), and then pretends to assemble the rig using a propane torch (despite the poles being clipped together).

Nothing says "I care about ALS" quite like having someones else do all the hard work for you.

Make a (tax deductable) donation to ALS? Check. Spend the afternoon building a ice water rig? Nope, too busy counting his money.

I'm surprised he didn't pay a professional stunt-double to take that cold shower as well.

You're either trolling hard or seriously delusional...

could've been well water, lots of folks near water have those

Watch the videos. I'm referring to getting hit on the head by gallons of water in a rigid container that weigh about 8# per gallon plus balcony height, hitting your head slipping in the bath tub, etc. Would've been ironic if Tim Cook got brain damaged by electrocution dumping water near high voltage stadium speakers.

the problem with the challenge is funding cannibalization, where donating to one cause often comes at the expense of donating to another cause that the donor would have done anyway.

the problem with the challenge is funding cannibalization, where donating to one cause often comes at the expense of donating to another cause that the donor would have done anyway.
So don't give money to any causes?

Funny to think how I used to hate that guy so many years ago. I've grown to respect and admire that guy, his wife, and the work they do outside of Microsoft. :)

The work like running private prisons, testing drugs on people in impoverished nations, and completely fucking the education? Well if you think all of those are good things then sure go ahead and cheer the guy.

who is arbitrates the priority of causes?

So don't give money to any causes?

who is arbitrates the priority of causes?

"The ice bucket challenge has done one good thing, which is raise $3 million for the ALS Association. But it’s also done a really bad thing: take money and attention away from other charities and other causes. That means that, if we want to know whether the ice bucket challenge has been on balance a good thing for the world, we’ve got to assess how effective the ALS Associations is compared with other charities. If 50% of that $3 million would have been donated anyway, and if the ALS association is less than half as effective at turning donations into positive impact on people’s wellbeing than other charities are on average, then the fundraiser would actively be doing harm. It’s perfectly possible that this is the case: even though some charities are fantastically effective, many achieve very little. You just can’t know without doing some serious investigation."

-- http://qz.com/249649/the-cold-hard-truth-about-the-ice-bucket-challenge/

that author makes dubious claims and fails to cite his sources, all while plugging *his own* non-profit.

http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-0818.html

the number appears to be over $15 million and, again, who decides which cause is more important?
so far the people making this criticism are comparing which cause helps more people and does more good in the world.

the times article points out that there are only 15,000 documented cases of ALS and that the ALS foundation claims 30,000. Both numbers are far below the 200,000 cases threshold of a "rare" disease set by the CDC.

If 23 million (the most current amount donated to ALS. the difference in a day doubled the donations so I'm not sure why you'd fault an article written a few days ago for not having the current amount :rolleyes:) dollars being donated to ALS comes at the expense of something like cancer or poverty that is afflicting millions of people, then that concern is a valid one.

As for who determines which cause is worthy or not, that's up to the donor. Every article pointing this out is simply explaining that viral campaigning may not be good for everyone or even the charity itself in the long run.

If you want to argue just to argue have at it.

Good is being done and people want to criticize it because its not the right kind of good? FFS some people just need backhanded every now and then. How about instead of raining on a nice parade you start your own challenge that diverts money from pointless things to charity?

Good is being done and people want to criticize it because its not the right kind of good? FFS some people just need backhanded every now and then. How about instead of raining on a nice parade you start your own challenge that diverts money from pointless things to charity?
what good is being done? do you even know what you're donating for and what's being done with the money?

scratch that...did you even donate to ALS? :rolleyes:

I think people are just jealous of others' ability to do such great good, because it gives those others something of a moral high ground. There are scads of people who are loathe to acknowledge that the Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerbergs are contributing more to the world than they ever would or could. I readily acknowledge I'll never be so much as a zit on Bill Gates's ass so far as the good I'll be able to do the world. I'm secure in that.

Back