Bike Lock Makes Thieves Immediately Vomit

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Someone decided to make a bike lock that shoots out a gas when it’s cut. Uh, what happens when there are other people around it? My solution was to just buy a bike that didn’t cost hundreds of dollars.

With his co-inventor, Yves Perrenoud, Idzkowski created a U-shaped lock of carbon and steel with a hollow chamber to hold one of three pressurized gases of their own concoction, including one called “formula D_1”. When someone cuts about 30% of the way into the lock, Idzkowski said, the gas erupts in the direction of the gash. “It’s pretty much immediately vomit inducing, causes difficulty breathing,” Idzkowski said. “A lot of similar symptoms to pepper spray.” The inventors have not yet tested the device on an actual would-be thief, but have tested it on themselves and volunteers at distances of two feet (60cm), five feet, 10ft and 20ft. “At two feet it was pretty bad. It was absolutely vomit inducing in 99% of people.

Pretty sure that counts as booby trapping which is illegal in the US, it's meant to cause harm not just mark.

In theory I love this.. But I can't see this actually being sold in any western market.

Would have been a lot less sticky legalise to just use dye bags like banks.

And would do much less good.

Pretty sure that counts as booby trapping which is illegal in the US, it's meant to cause harm not just mark.

Then how do banks have dye bags that are legal? This thing only goes off if you're trying to break the law.

Btw, did these einsteins ever think that once thieves figure this out, they'll just use surgical mask etc?

Surgical masks don't stop odors...Nor do they stop your clothes from getting creamed.

Even if it doesn't stop bike thieves...I approve of at least costing them their lunch in stealing.

I vote we return back to the old days. We just hang the thieves or shoot them as recreational sport shooting! Just start murdering the scums of the earth, I guarantee you they will go away or stop their nefarious activities.

I vote we return back to the old days. We just hang the thieves or shoot them as recreational sport shooting! Just start murdering the scums of the earth, I guarantee you they will go away or stop their nefarious activities.

Great. Except most are never caught. Even when witnesses see someone jacking someone's bike in broad daylight they don't do a damn thing to stop it.

Surgical masks don't stop odors...Nor do they stop your clothes from getting creamed.

Even if it doesn't stop bike thieves...I approve of at least costing them their lunch in stealing.

o_O

So use something stronger, yer a thief for christsake. That said, is this even legal?

Great. Except most are never caught. Even when witnesses see someone jacking someone's bike in broad daylight they don't do a damn thing to stop it.

Well yes, but start putting cams or lock in places for bicycles. Start forcing bios scans for permitted entry. There are so many things we can do to combat thieves and criminals, problem is Washington DC is the world's largest criminally run enterprise! In other words crime pays for now!

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Well yes, but start putting cams or lock in places for bicycles. Start forcing bios scans for permitted entry. There are so many things we can do to combat thieves and criminals, problem is Washington DC is the world's largest criminally run enterprise! In other words crime pays for now!

Anything short of a hardened steel locker enclosure is completely vulnerable and nothing more than an annoyance to thieves. All it takes is a bit of time (10 minutes or less) and the right tools. One of my roadie-mates, who owned and used the best bike locks money could buy (street value about $200USD back then)...and most importantly knew how to properly use them....well her prized bike was stolen in less than 15 minutes in broad daylight in our smallish Fair City downtown.

As I said. No one cares. Same way when a car alarm is going off-no one cares. It is a car alarm going off, so what? People report bike thefts even less. The thieves are practically never caught. You can threaten all you want to go all Hammurabi on them and start lopping off hands-but first you need the perp...which no one ever reports or catches. Most cities have no money for camming bike-racks. Most cities have no money period-due to sprawl-induced infrastructure upkeep problems wrt tax-base.

One of my roadie-mates, who owned and used the best bike locks money could buy (street value about $200USD back then)...and most importantly knew how to properly use them....well her prized bike was stolen in less than 15 minutes in broad daylight in our smallish Fair City downtown.

Man sheesh, you can't leave a ride like that out in the open in the city. Its gone soon as you turn your head.

Man sheesh, you can't leave a ride like that out in the open in the city. Its gone soon as you turn your head.

Was a quick run in for a coffee with a friend, and took a chance. $1500USD goney. She was livid. Even moreso because she knew people walked by and didn't do a damned thing to stop a thief in broad daylight on a warm sunny afternoon.

Anything short of a hardened steel locker enclosure is completely vulnerable and nothing more than an annoyance to thieves. All it takes is a bit of time (10 minutes or less) and the right tools. One of my roadie-mates, who owned and used the best bike locks money could buy (street value about $200USD back then)...and most importantly knew how to properly use them....well her prized bike was stolen in less than 15 minutes in broad daylight in our smallish Fair City downtown.

As I said. No one cares. Same way when a car alarm is going off-no one cares. It is a car alarm going off, so what? People report bike thefts even less. The thieves are practically never caught. You can threaten all you want to go all Hammurabi on them and start lopping off hands-but first you need the perp...which no one ever reports or catches. Most cities have no money for camming bike-racks. Most cities have no money period-due to sprawl-induced infrastructure upkeep problems wrt tax-base.

Alright, I feel your pain. There is something we can do to deter these assholes. Something........hummm

I got a nice mountain bike, diamond back with full suspension and rotor brakes.

Can you please describe this $200 lock? I am curious to see it and see how it was defeated in less than 15 minutes. If I personally saw some person messing with a bike lock that takes seconds to open, but spending 15 minutes is going to raise red flags with me. Do the thieves ride off on the bike after the locks were picked or carry them into a motor vehicle?

Can you please describe this $200 lock? I am curious to see it and see how it was defeated in less than 15 minutes. If I personally saw some person messing with a bike lock that takes seconds to open, but spending 15 minutes is going to raise red flags with me. Do the thieves ride off on the bike after the locks were picked or carry them into a motor vehicle?

Back then it was the Kryptonite NYC Fuggetaboutit U-lock and chain lock...which IIRC retailed for $150-200USD totalled depending on whom you bought it from. These days, the pairing is over $200USD.

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock - REI.com
Kryptonite New York 1210 Chain Lock - REI.com

Any bike lock can be defeated in short order. If you don't care about noise, all it takes is an angle grinder. All locks do is slow thieves and maybe make them thirst for easier prey.

Back then it was the Kryptonite NYC Fuggetaboutit U-lock and chain lock...which IIRC retailed for $150-200USD totalled depending on whom you bought it from. These days, the pairing is over $200USD.

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock - REI.com
Kryptonite New York 1210 Chain Lock - REI.com

Any bike lock can be defeated in short order. If you don't care about noise, all it takes is an angle grinder. All locks do is slow thieves and maybe make them thirst for easier prey.

So thieves are using a grinder in broad daylight with screeching noises as the locks are being cut? People walking around gotta know this shit is going down????

Someone decided to make a bike lock that shoots out a gas when it’s cut. Uh, what happens when there are other people around it? My solution was to just buy a bike that didn’t cost hundreds of dollars.

With his co-inventor, Yves Perrenoud, Idzkowski created a U-shaped lock of carbon and steel with a hollow chamber to hold one of three pressurized gases of their own concoction, including one called “formula D_1”. When someone cuts about 30% of the way into the lock, Idzkowski said, the gas erupts in the direction of the gash. “It’s pretty much immediately vomit inducing, causes difficulty breathing,” Idzkowski said. “A lot of similar symptoms to pepper spray.” The inventors have not yet tested the device on an actual would-be thief, but have tested it on themselves and volunteers at distances of two feet (60cm), five feet, 10ft and 20ft. “At two feet it was pretty bad. It was absolutely vomit inducing in 99% of people.
What kind of cheap ass bike did you buy? Even cheap bikes tend to cost hundreds of dollars. Hell, my schwinn from the early 80s cost 200 bucks.

So thieves are using a grinder in broad daylight with screeching noises as the locks are being cut? People walking around gotta know this shit is going down????

I was using that as an example, but sometimes yes. Any lock can be beaten given opportunity, and in short order.

Thing is ...

This lock defence is useless.
Thieves dont grind through the lock mechanism bar, they grind through the securing bar which doesnt have gas inside.

Thing is ...

This lock defence is useless.
Thieves dont grind through the lock mechanism bar, they grind through the securing bar which doesnt have gas inside.
I just use a gas mask. Easy peasy. As an added bonus any do gooder that tries to describe me to the cops doesn't know what I look like and I look much scarier with that mask :D

Philipines style.

There's so many ways to break a lock man. Even non-thieves can do it in under a couple minutes. You can even achieve the same result with compressed air by flipping the can upside down and concentrating the flow on a key point then taking a hammer to it. The compressed air trick can literally be done anywhere anytime.

The best tip lol...

In the meantime, you might consider just taking your bike inside with you.

Science Of Theft: Freeze A Bike Lock With Canned Air, Then Smash It With A Hammer

There's so many ways to break a lock man. Even non-thieves can do it in under a couple minutes. You can even achieve the same result with compressed air by flipping the can upside down and concentrating the flow on a key point then taking a hammer to it. The compressed air trick can literally be done anywhere anytime.

The best tip lol...

Science Of Theft: Freeze A Bike Lock With Canned Air, Then Smash It With A Hammer

*scratches head* I guess bring the bike inside where you are if work, school or whatever allows you to bring it in. *sigh* Or buy a cheap ass Walmart Chinese made bike for $89.00 and call it a day?

Then how do banks have dye bags that are legal? This thing only goes off if you're trying to break the law.

a dye bag stains you, it doesn't kill you. Banks don't load the bags with C4 that explode once they leave the building. In this case they are spraying a gas in your face that causes trouble breathing and for you to start to vomit. One thing to keep in mind is that during testing you know what is going on. During a theft you would not, this extra scare could result in a perfect combination where the would be thief chokes to death, especially if they have certain underlying conditions. So one causes color and one could physically hurt a person.

What happens if someone cuts the section that says SkunkLock? I doubt that section is filled with nasty gas.

You might think it's clever to roleplay the purgers in The Purge movies and Hydra in the Captain America movies, but you're being much too obvious about it.

You might think it's clever to roleplay the purgers in The Purge movies and Hydra in the Captain America movies, but you're being much too obvious about it.

Don't see how either of those groups apply. He isn't talking about murdering random people for sport. If you get caught stealing / committing a crime and there is solid evidence. Poof no more criminal. Which does two things. Reduces criminals for awhile, but also ensures that no witnesses will be left alive to greatly reduce the chance of them getting caught until the two balance themselves out. Look at something like Singapore and their canning though. That is what he is talking about.

Don't see how either of those groups apply. He isn't talking about murdering random people for sport. If you get caught stealing / committing a crime and there is solid evidence. Poof no more criminal. Which does two things. Reduces criminals for awhile, but also ensures that no witnesses will be left alive to greatly reduce the chance of them getting caught until the two balance themselves out. Look at something like Singapore and their canning though. That is what he is talking about.

Actually, when I look again he did state "Just start murdering" so I'm going to report the post after all.

If the bike thief is a junkie he/she won't probably even notice the gas lol.

Stop into any public restroom and look for automatic air freshner. open and remove the C02 canister. Place C02 canister nozzle onto bike lock and dispense entire can. smack lock with rock, drive bike away. less obvious than an angle grinder on the street.
Better yet if people would man up and question said thief and attract attention and call police. Once apprehended thief gets 30 days solitary confinement and only 1/2 ration of food for first offense.

Anyone on the street with an angle grinder is likely not a junkie but a seasoned crook. the junkie would have already pawned off the grinder.

Stop into any public restroom and look for automatic air freshner. open and remove the C02 canister. Place C02 canister nozzle onto bike lock and dispense entire can. smack lock with rock, drive bike away. less obvious than an angle grinder on the street.
Better yet if people would man up and question said thief and attract attention and call police. Once apprehended thief gets 30 days solitary confinement and only 1/2 ration of food for first offense.

Anyone on the street with an angle grinder is likely not a junkie but a seasoned crook. the junkie would have already pawned off the grinder.

In this day and age though people will ignore anything that doesn't involve them as they don't want to risk getting injured by the criminal or have to worry about staying around to talk to the cops. Since the crime doesn't 100% effect them, they don't care.

Caning works better on asian culture. Asians care much more about face, and caning is public humiliation. Walking around Walmart at 11PM shows that most Americans could give a rats ass what others think about them.

However, we do know for a fact that criminals breed criminals. One bad egg in the hood can end up influencing and recruiting four others to participate in his illegal activities preying on society, when otherwise the other four may have never gone down that path. That's why people cry that the US has such a high incarceration count, but in all actuality we have never jailed more than 1% of our population at a given time, and at LEAST 1% of people are total douchebags that deserve to be in jail, and by removing them from society they infect less people around them as we have seen with the falling crime rate (while elsewhere the doesn't practice this, like the UK, crime has been increasing).

So removing criminals off the streets does everyone a service, even if its expensive to keep them there, as it ends up being far less expensive than cleaning up their messes and the cancer that they spread.

Ideally, we should just take one of our less useful states, setup strong security around it, and have "free range criminals" and undesirables we can deport there. They can be free to go wherever they want, as long as its not back in the US, and other countries can't bitch at us because we're deporting them on US soil, heh. We could name this state "Alabama" or something.

Nope, it's not a shotgun.
People have been persued legally for leaving out stale cookies while gone on a long trip that made a thief sick. It doesn't matter if that won. Just dragging your ass into court is punitive in itself.

Back