bigwater advice

Vulcanworlds

Limp Gawd
ok well first off im tell you guys im NOT purchasing the thermaltake bigwater. a friend of mine is thinking of giving me his old bigwater bc he has no use for it and my temps are kinda high (45C when at 2.7ghz, 40C at stock) idle

al that i know of so far that im getting is the radiator, cpu block, pump. i will have to buy collant, tubing and clamps.

know from my googling i have heard that the pump is pretty crappy and from the other thread here i read that the cpu block can crack and leak (not good at all) but i tried googling for that problem but no valid results.

also i read that there is some wierd fittings that TT uses which would case problems if i were to want to use different components.

my plan is to use this as my intro to watercooling and slowly upgrade it. get a new cpu block and a much more powerful pump. ive read that the radiator is actually high qualilty so i'd hold onto it for a while until maybe getting a dual 120mm rad or something else of the liking. i'd also like to later on add in a gpu block for my 7800gt. but these things can wait...or can they?

please any imput would be greatly apreciated.

It would be better than stock HS and its free, just don't expect to much out of it.

yea thats what im thinking. im still confused on what size tubing ill need to buy and stuff. (i wont be getting any)

i really dont want the 1/2in stuff too big and bulky i really just want someting clear and smooth and thin. like fallguy's setup in the w/c picture thread.

1/4 in is the stock tubing and the tubing you will have to use if you are going to use the pump and blocks. I upgraded my tubing and fittings from McMaster carr but don't remember the thread size. It is 1/8 in. How I figured it out was went to Home Depot and bought the thread I thought it was and tried it then when I found one that fit I ordered it from McMaster.

well what i would really be wanting to shoot for much later on down the road is to have my w/c setup look somewhat like fallguy's HERE i really like his tubing and how it is clear and sleek.

what i really dont want mine to end up looking like is like miketimbers w/c setup HERE no offensce but i really just cant stand the tubing being so large and bulky. id sacrifice a couple of degrees to have it look so much better.

well i need to figure out what all im getting and then maybe ill post back to see what i need to get myself.

One thing you need to realize with the BW SE is that although it supports up to 1/2 id tubing your still bottlenecking at the stock radiator which is 1/4"! Not to mention the fact that the threaded part of the fittings are still only 3/8 id. So You may be using large tubing but you're still only pushing water at 1/4" flow rate.

My opinion, use it for cooling a CPU, and only expect slightly better results. Or trash the radiator and upgrade your tubing to 3/8" id tops.

well im pretty sure im not getting the SE (they are different correct?)

and i thought the rad on the bigwater was actually ok and the pump was the thing in need of replacing.

The rads fine, allbeit limiting. If you're not pushing a whole lot of water through the rad then it's not going to chill very well if you go beyond cooling a CPU or even overclock for that matter.

Vulcanworlds said:
ok well first off im tell you guys im NOT purchasing the thermaltake bigwater. a friend of mine is thinking of giving me his old bigwater bc he has no use for it and my temps are kinda high (45C when at 2.7ghz, 40C at stock) idle

al that i know of so far that im getting is the radiator, cpu block, pump. i will have to buy collant, tubing and clamps.

know from my googling i have heard that the pump is pretty crappy and from the other thread here i read that the cpu block can crack and leak (not good at all) but i tried googling for that problem but no valid results.

also i read that there is some wierd fittings that TT uses which would case problems if i were to want to use different components.

my plan is to use this as my intro to watercooling and slowly upgrade it. get a new cpu block and a much more powerful pump. ive read that the radiator is actually high qualilty so i'd hold onto it for a while until maybe getting a dual 120mm rad or something else of the liking. i'd also like to later on add in a gpu block for my 7800gt. but these things can wait...or can they?

please any imput would be greatly apreciated.

i dont know why everyone trashes the bigwater so much...

i have the bigwaterse...

and actually the pumps fine...
the waterblock hasnt "cracked"

I have a 4000+ @ 1.610Vcore @ 2880Mhz
I idle @ 32C and Stress MAX 40C...imo its not crap so stop trashin it...

thanks shockerweb for the positive reply. i really hope that is how this turns out for me as well. are you still using the regular pump and everything?

Vulcanworlds said:
thanks shockerweb for the positive reply. i really hope that is how this turns out for me as well. are you still using the regular pump and everything?
yes sir.

Back