Biggest game dissapointments for you?

Far Cry 2... boring as hell.

Left 4 Dead: Extreme lack of content, SDK, shitty match making system, and VS is an unbalanced melee whore fest. Game mechanics are TOO simple with right click being the counter to everything on survivor. This game was a massive let down.

"an unbalanced melee whore fest"? thats a tad on the extreme side don't you think?

I love L4D, but I only play it when i can do it with at least 2 friends, and even then I'm always cursing at the pubber.

There's just something that's so gorgeous about landing a 20+ dmg pounce. You hit somebody from across the map as a hunter, and as soon as you make contact you get melee'd off and killed, and they go on thinking they're OK, not noticing that their health was 72, now its 49.

Anyways, I'd like to nominate some contenders:

Every Need for Speed game since (take your pick?), I guess I'd say Most Wanted but it had its flaws...

WOW: BC...I never even hit 70 and didn't even bother with WOLK
Hellgate: London
Warhammer: Online
AOC
COD: WAW
Soldier of Fortune 3...man I loved the first two including the multiplayer
Spore

FEAR 2. Hands down.

I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2. All the way up until the end. Then I was like "WTF? Who the hell thought this ending was a good idea?"

Half-Life 2 - too much filler, not enough good stuff. Ep1 was good because it kept the good parts and did away with the crap.
We may disagree strongly on PSU brands, but we see eye to eye on HL2. ;) Nowhere close to the quality of the original. EP2 was the best of the HL2 series, IMO.

We may disagree strongly on PSU brands, but we see eye to eye on HL2. ;) Nowhere close to the quality of the original. EP2 was the best of the HL2 series, IMO.
Ep2 was good up until the last fight with the striders, where they force you to use the car with its shitty driving mechanics. It's kind of hard for a fight to seem dramatic when I have to pay more attention to not driving into yet another goddamn tree stump rather than actually killing the enemies around me.

Ep2 was good up until the last fight with the striders, where they force you to use the car with its shitty driving mechanics. It's kind of hard for a fight to seem dramatic when I have to pay more attention to not driving into yet another goddamn tree stump rather than actually killing the enemies around me.
I ended up dumping the car and just ran from strider to strider. I used the shoulder fired missile weapon instead of fucking around with those Magnusen magnetic bombs that kept exploding in my face every time a hunter shot them with their blue darts before I took 3 steps.

I will also agree with Jericho. That game seemed really cool and the demo was really cool.

Quake 4 was a little meh in my opinion also... never even bothered to finish it.

Sonic the Hedgehog I played for PS3... holy crap that was a p.o.s. now that I think back

Chromehounds for Xbox 360... fucking terrible. I wanted a mechwarrior game and got :eek

I can't think of any more right now although there have been more.

Deus Ex 2
FarCry 2
Doom 3
Age of Empires 3

There were quite a few more games that sucked, but these really let me down. I probably have years of my life dedicated to their predecessors if I added up all the play time...OK, not "years", but a lot.

I try to hold off until there are some reviews or a demo, so I was able to avoid Fear 2 and CoD5, but I did waste my money on:

Far Cry 2 (I had such high hopes to)
Gears of War (child's game with a lot of gore and language. puh-lez)

...still the worst let down of all will remain:
Deus Ex 2 (have hope for DX3 however, we'll have to see)

Hellgate: London - This was probably my all time anticipated game, even got Founder's and needless to say I was massively disappointed. Didn't come with any sort of LAN and the servers shut down after a year and a few odd months, pretty pathetic.

Far Cry 2 - Could have been so much more but Ubisoft took the shortcut on many things. Stupid quests/ending/CHECKPOINTS/multiplayer/etc. Great graphics and effects, though

The ending of F.E.A.R. 2 sure disappoint me, I was expecting something epic! :rolleyes: I didn't really like the ending to Far Cry 1 either.

I'll think of more when I'm sober lol

I'd say Burning Crusade was good except for Arenas shitty implementation (but since I played a Hunter which sucked at Arena maybe I'm biased) but yeah Lich King is casual
garbage now

Doom 3 + ROE

Any Battlefield game after Vietnam (I seriously cannot stand BF2's "I have to shoot
behind my target to hit them" fucked up netcode, did that beta patch fix it anyone know?)

Unreal Tournament 3 when it launched, now it's respectful

Redfaction 2, boy this was a total let down, I loved the first game so much

Far Cry 2 for obvious reasons

Mirrors Edge is okay but for what you got not worth 50$ at all when it came out

Spore for shitty DRM

Chronicles of Riddick same as above, shit DRM

Fear 2 because it's absolute garbage compared to the original

Tribes 3, Tribes 1 and 2 are essential classics to me 3 was a piece of shit

Soldier of Fortune 3 was garbage compared to 1/2

Blacksite Area 51 was trash compared to Area 51

Deus Ex 2 utter crap compared to original

Thief 3 while not as bad as Deus Ex 2 still not as good as Thief 1/2

Quake 4 compared to Quake 1/2

Empire Earth 3 and above are total shit

I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on, luckily most of these games I didn't waste $ on or if I did like in FC2's case it was only 3$ during a newegg OEM sale. :D

Im going to chime in with another Asherons Call 2 vote. In fact lets add Dungeons and Dragons online and when LotR online first started it was pretty horrible also (although its not bad now) so when it comes to games that disappoint, Turbine represents.

However for all time worst dissapointment I have to crown Anarchy Online when it first came out. Yes, they have been fixing it for years (and a few more years they might finally get it done) but that was a game that made you want to beat your computer to death with your keyboard. It sucked in so many original and diverse ways. I was really hoping for a good non-fantasy based MMORPG. I think it may be the origin of 'epic fail'

Age of Conan - In beta I felt confined. People kept saying how much bigger and better it got post Tortage, so I got it. Needless to say, it wasn't true :(. While the music was great, graphics in Dungeons were amazing, game left alot to be desired. The lack of content, stuff to do, and bugs make it a huge let down for me. I had fun playing it, but the game could have been so much more :(.

GTA IV - looked and ran shitty on my PS3, so I bought a second copy for PC when that came out. Decent game but was barely playable at release. Frame issues, memory leaks, crashes, every patch ruining performance....

Far Cry 2 - I was beginning to really like the visuals and the game play up until the point where I realized that I had to run back in forth across the map killing same shit over and over again after it respawns.

Bioshock, thought it would be amazing since I heard it was similar to SS2.
Oblivion definitely, what a way to take out the 'role' in computer roleplaying games.

You guys need to play L4D since they patched it. The melee cool-down fixes those issues quite well imo.

L4D starts off fun, gets boring for a little while, but then when you start to master it and play with friends it gets really fun again.

There are rushing tactics etc now for survivors. Playing as infected is all about timing and coordination.

Biggest let downs: FarCry2, Fallout3 - Because I thought they were going to be good.
Warhammer and AoC weren't let downs for me because I knew they were going to suck.
Darkfall wasn't a complete failure but wasn't good enough to waste time on.
HL2 could've been better but far from a complete let down. EP2 was great, EP1 decent.

Wow Bioshock and Crysis?? I can easily see how they are let downs but BIGGEST let down? Cmon now. There's been so much worse.

To be fair, they were both hyped up games - and few games live up to the hype. I won't say Crysis was the biggest disappointment because I was never impressed by it, so I just list it down with my "Meh" list.

I jumped on L4D when it was $19 a while back and I agree it's fun with friends, or at the very least mature adults that take advantage of the mic.

Far Cry 2 is the worst, especially considering most reviewers gave it undeserving positive reviews, misleading the customers.

L4d is a terrible game if you play with pubs. I haven't been doing that since December and have loved every minute of it even with only 4 campaigns. I'm similar with other games though, like CSS or TF2. I can play the same maps over and over and not get bored as long as it has a solid multiplayer against human opponents. I just can't stand AI in any game.

WoW - Wrath of The Lich King (Frikin loot pinata, free epics for all, also having 3 level 80s and after dealing with that community for several years my head hurt and have been WoW free for months now :) )
Age of Conan - it had potential but ugh.

WoW - Wrath of The Lich King (Frikin loot pinata, free epics for all, also having 3 level 80s and after dealing with that community for several years my head hurt and have been WoW free for months now :) )

I found nothing wrong with the "loot pinata" that WoW turned into. At least everyone can get their $15 a month out of the game. What drove me away was the kiddie community, and the "super hardcore l33t raiderz" who thought only they deserved to get anything worth a damn. Also, Wotlk was just more of the same with different names and textures, after 4 years of playing I was hoping for something fresh.

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War - I dont think I have ever been so disappointed in a game from the first screen of action. But then again......

Enter the Matrix - Uhh...... yeah.

EDIT: BTW, way too many good games on here. Either you guys dont game enough, or you're just jaded. Come on, look at my list. L4D is NOTHING near, Enter the Matrix. I think some of you should rethink the word "disappointment".

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War - I dont think I have ever been so disappointed in a game from the first screen of action. But then again......

Enter the Matrix - Uhh...... yeah.

EDIT: BTW, way too many good games on here. Either you guys dont game enough, or you're just jaded. Come on, look at my list. L4D is NOTHING near, Enter the Matrix. I think some of you should rethink the word "disappointment".

everyone has their own opinions, i was just curious to see what others though of current and past games

its weird to look back and say i miss the days when UO and Asheron's call were amazing, yet their graphics were crap, servers had issues, and now wer have wow with pretty good servers and graphics and AC the same, but the game play just sucks in comparison

to this day UO is still the only MMO i know of that gets into the fine details which made it fun and different

NGE for StarWars anyone?

Sony fucked up huuuuge on that one.

Also any EQ1 expansion from Planes of Power and onward.

an old one but unreal 2 i hated with a passion.
hellgate london was also a letdown.

there are some others just cant think of them at the moment.

Let's hope that the stream of lazy, "can't miss", sequels keeps on flowing. :mad: ffs!

All shite:
Fallout 3
DoW2
Farcry 2
Dungeon Siege 2
Space Siege

I'm going to say Hellgate, that game was SO bad after having a pretty awesome premise for a game. It bombed SO badly too.

Also any EQ1 expansion from Planes of Power and onward.

This!

Also,
Far cry 2 - More grinding back and forth than a fucking MMO
Bioshock - No multiplayer, Horrible DRM scheme, severely overhyped
Vanguard - AKA wowkiller 42876, thought it would be the "spiritual sequal" to EQ like many said and it turned out to be broken beyond belief.
Gothic 3 - Released in alpha quality.

Spore is the biggest disappointment to me.

Did not even play the game due to all the drm shit.

Bioshock not because of DRM but because it was overhyped and wasn't fun and also Far Cry 2 for the same reasons.

i liked bioshock myself. i cant wait for the second one either. i did like fallout3 but i do have a few complaints about it.

Back