Bigger Screen Size vs Higher Resolution

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to upgrade my gaming experience.

I want a better display to game on.
Currently playing on a HannsG HG281D, 28" viewable at 1920x1200

I've been considering either getting a 28-30" monitor that will do 2560xwhatever widescreen.

But then I'm not really upgrading my viewing space, just getting a sharper picture.

So I'm also considering getting a somewhat inexpensive 1080p TV to game on.
This would obviously allow me to have more viewing space, but at a restricted resolution.
Also, are LED or LCD TV's better for gaming on? Or plasma for that matter?
I don't know anything about gaming on a TV obvsiously.

I just don't know which would be a more enjoyable gaming experience.
The monitor would likely cost me a few hundred bucks more than the TV option also. And I am on a bit of a limited budget.

Last edited:
It all depends on how far you are sitting from your screen. Personally, I'm sitting about 2 feet away from my monitor and anything larger than maybe 30'' would require me to pan my head to see, which at that point would just be pointless.

If I were you, getting higher resolution would improve your experience for sure. TV's also generally have higher input lag unless you get the right ones.

I also have a 28" Haans-G.. I am going to buy one of the 27" 2560x1440 korean display's (threads in this sub forum, hot deals & multiples over at OCN). I sit a couple feet back from my monitor & I dont feel that loosing that inch will be a bad thing, but the extra resolution would be appreciated.

I prefer higher resolution to screen size. I had a display on my test bench which had a resolution of 1650x1080 and was 20" in size. I now have a newer monitor which is the same physical size and 1920x1080 in resolution. I much prefer the latter display. Ideally I'd have both, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose resolution.

It really depends on how big that TV screen is. If it's like 47 or 55" 1080p vs 30" 2560x1440, I'll take the bigger TV any day. 40" TV? I'll take the 30" monitor instead.

My personal opinion on screen size is that it doesn't really matter, you get close enough and it'll look big.

Buying a bigger screen merely affords you the luxury of enjoying your TV from farther away than you can a monitor, and allows more than 1 person to comfortably view it.

Not to say i don't think there are ideal thresholds for myself. For example i think 23" is the perfect size for a desktop display. And my 42" plasma is the perfect size at about 5' away.

It really depends on how big that TV screen is. If it's like 47 or 55" 1080p vs 30" 2560x1440, I'll take the bigger TV any day. 40" TV? I'll take the 30" monitor instead.

Well my post was made with context of monitors only. And for reading and computer use I'll still always take resolution over size. Watching TV is different. When most TV's are 720P or 1080P, bigger is usually better. At least within a given technology.

Televisions also tend to be much brighter than monitors because they're designed to be viewed from further away. I've used my 32" Hitachi a few times as a monitor but I kept going back to my 24" monitor because it just became uncomfortable to use for anything outside of gaming. I also found the pixels just far too large and lacking detail for the size of the screen. I'd really love a 27" 2560x1440 monitor because it wouldn't be all that much larger than my 24" (a bit wider but no taller). I just really would like it for general usage and not just gaming. The massive resolution would be so beneficial with photos and art.

Back