-bigadv on your primary pc?

MrValentine

[H]ard|Gawd
How many of you try and run -bigadv on your primary PC? It looks like this may be a huge hassle to work with on a PC that is also used for gaming, surfing, work, and BD backups. Am I trying to do something that just really isnt worth it?

I just lost 24+hrs of work when I rebooted grrrrrrr (about to look into those backup scripts)

I do it using VMPlayer and the EVGA VM.
I have it setup to suspend the VM when the computer reboots. This way it picks right back up where it left off.

I don't have -bigadv running on my main system. Most people on this site will find what I'm going to post next an apostasy: my main rig is one of the slowest systems in my whole farm, and I have been running things this way for years. Why? Because I reserve the most capable systems to be dedicated folders. I don't need to do it this way but it's a choice I made. So, my main everyday machine where everything is done has a total of only 4 cores, and it isn't even an Intel system. There are quite a few people who run -bigadv on their primary systems, though. Eventually, I will also do this when I retire my main system for something much faster later this year.

Last edited:
I do. [waves] :)
Mine runs the VM 24/7 +2 gpu clients and I still do all my freelance graphic design work on it throughout the day.
Only time the clients are shut down is for gaming and I haven't done that lately (been too busy).

I notice no performance hit from the clients running while doing stuff and I'm in and out of CS4 the whole time.
Just have to remember to change your Windows update settings so it doesn't install and reboot automatically on its own, and also remember to suspend the VM before rebooting any other time.

Nope...not me. I run a couple dedicated CentOS Linux boxen to host my -bigadv work on. I do run a GPU client on my main boxen 24/7, but that's about it.

no problems here, like zero, I use CS4 full time. I only have 6gb ram, I can see some lag when switching to photoshop sometimes, but its like a few seconds each day :p.

The only thing to watch out for is when closing the VM before restarting and on windows 7: watch out with very old games (warcraft2...) they just make the comp crash, and it has nothing to do with folding.

I have. I normally go hot and cold on this idea.

Rite now I just running SMP2 on my main rig, but that's because I just built Nexus.

My sig rig is my gaming rig. I run -bigadv on it all the time even when gaming. No probs. Slows it down a bit, but I don't game for long periods of time.

When I first started folding with an I7 it was on my main box.
I was gaming on it to, running winxp64 -bigadv in VM.
Just ran into to many problems, lost work units, and windoze errors.
So I switched to *Nix64 and never looked back. Hardly any problems
and TPF times dropped by almost 3 minutes.
Now I game on my slowest box:D
No complaints it's still a quad core q6600.

When I first built this rig I planned on running bigadv on it with two gpu clients. I kept running into stability issues (which I'm hoping are solved) and got back into PC gaming so I've stopped bigadv. For now I'm just running SMP2 since I would be closing the bigadv so much I would be missing the deadlines for the bonus. Once I stop gaming so much Ill change back to bigadv.

My main rig runs 2 SMP clients, which obviously isnt the same, but I dont get alot of slow down.

I havnt had any problems with it. The i7 has plenty of power for me to still do my normal forum browsing while running my -bigadv vm. When i play games at night i just tell the vm to suspend and it starts right where it left off when I start it back up.

Windows auto updates were killing me though, had to disable auto install/restart.

Been folding bigadv on my home PC which is the rig in my signature. I occasionally game but mostly am doing work on newsletters for my club, website stuff for the same and miscellaneous stuff. My system is cranking out the bigadvs rather nicely.

I might have lost one bigadv WU since I started with the [H]orde last November and that happened when I had just started the WU and was caused an unintended reboot by an application which got its own boot right after that.

My bigadv rig is an everyday use machine also running the GPU client. We never have any issues with stability or compatibility. 8gb of memory seems to have kept there from being and slowdowns. The VM just grinds away in a minimized window under Win7 Ult.

Back