bigadv and DDR3 latency

HighYield

Gawd
CAS9 ram is a cheaper than CAS8 or faster. Will it make any real difference in the end running bigadv in a VM? My guess is no, but I need to check with the experts here.

I don't think ram speed will make a difference at all.
The slowest part of the current A2 bigadv is at the end of the WU.
There is a lot of data beting written to disk and that will slow you down some.

One way to overcome that would to have a:
RAID 0 setup, SSD Drive, or run the bigadv from a Ram drive.

From what i have seen RAM speed can make a difference when crunching a Bigadv, but not so much on the A3's.

I saw a slight decrease in TPF once i forced my RAM to 1333 vs 1066. However I cannot say with absolute certainty that it wasnt a variation in the WU.

Also if you have the ram, run it from RAM disk

ram speed eg ddr3 1333 1600 1066 has more of an effect on performance then the actual cas timing of the ram.. the whole low cas vs high ram speed died when ddr2 was created..

how would i go about running my VM from a ram disk?

Good question!! I would like to know this too.
I will be building my 980x system here in the next week and would love to try a ram disk using Linux!

Running a ram disk in Native Windows is very easy.
There are several free applications to set this up and they run great.

I don't think you could pull it off with a VM though.
The only way I can come up with is to put a VM virtual disk onto a windows ram drive.
You would need a system with over 12GB to pull it off and that is a minimum number.

Since i don't play with linux, i can't comment on setup but i am 100% sure if windows has it, linux does too.

Running a ram disk in Native Windows is very easy.
There are several free applications to set this up and they run great.

I don't think you could pull it off with a VM though.
The only way I can come up with is to put a VM virtual disk onto a windows ram drive.
You would need a system with over 12GB to pull it off and that is a minimum number.

Since i don't play with linux, i can't comment on setup but i am 100% sure if windows has it, linux does too.

so what you're saying is that since i have 6Gb of ram, I couldn't run my bigadv VM on a ramdisk... damn

so what you're saying is that since i have 6Gb of ram, I couldn't run my bigadv VM on a ramdisk... damn

Yea pretty much.

You need a lot of RAM especially if you are running a VM.
Because you will need 6gb for the VMs memory probably at least 6 more for the RAMdisk for the VM to reside on.

the cas latency of your ram does not matter when it comes to folding. cas latency is really only important when it comes to overclocking. Now if your overclocking your machine FOR folding, than it might have a small bearing, but usually, if you oc your machine, it turns on, and does its burn in test, and does so successfully, than it wont have a bearing at all.

Only thing that matters when it comes to ram and folding, is how much of the stuff you got, its like crack! The bigger the amount, the better ya feel! :)

BTW, minimum amount of ram you need for a VM is 6, and another 2 to at least run the OS, if you plan on doing more with the system, than you need more, so minimum of 8, suggested of 12.

BTW, minimum amount of ram you need for a VM is 6, and another 2 to at least run the OS, if you plan on doing more with the system, than you need more, so minimum of 8, suggested of 12.

VM takes 5 if you want to be safe. 4.9gb is probably ok.

You can run with 6gb total, it's no problem at all if you run XP64.
Kendrak (I believe it was Kendrak?) said 7x64 runs ok for him with the 1gb leftover for the os on a 6gb VM system....if you have the choice though I'd run XP64 instead of 7x64. WIth XP64 and the VM open and allocated 5gb, I think I still have like 500-600mb free on my dedicated -bigadv boxen.

I do agree though if you want to actually use the system while crunching -bigadv - 8 to 12gb is the way to go. :)

OP CAS don't matter. I've got 8 CAS and 9 CAS ram (my primary has 12gb of CAS 9, my dedicated boxen has 6gb of CAS 8)...doesn't make a difference in terms of TPF. Ram speed has a larger bearing, but depending on your oc and what dividers your board lets you use, you may run under 1600mhz speeds anyway. (I do on both.)

Back