Big upgrade or small uprgade?

vahrn

n00b
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
30
Hello,

I have been using my trusty 8800 GTX (factory overclocked) for the all these years (since its release) and it has always served me well. It died once but I managed to rivive it with the oven trick. :)

Unfortunately I have recently bought the Witcher 2 and this game is proving to be too challenging for this card even at low settings (but of course without sacrificing my display 1080p native resolution).

So I was wondering which kind of upgrade path would be best in your opinion:

1) spend 370 € on a 580 GTX and be able to run at max detail most of current titles but knowing that 28 nm cards are coming out in a few months

2) spend 180 euros on 560TI / 6950 1 gb and then upgrade again as soon as the 28 nm cards are out.

3) Spend over 600+ euros on 590 GTX, 6990 because the first 28 nm cards aren't likely to be much faster than those

Usually I would buy the latest and the greatest card available and make it last as long as possible, but this cards are almost a year old and so I keep thinking that I would be overpaying (soon to be) obsolete hardware.

Here are my system specs:

i7 920 @ 4.2 ghz
Asus P6X58D Premium
6 gb Mushkin ram
OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB SSD
Some storage HDDs I don't remember
Cantatis Ouverture Soundcard
EVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS3
LG W2363D
 
Get 570 and OC it to 580... when the 28 nm cards are out, and they won't be much faster, just add 2nd card.
 
I personally am going to wait for 28nm GPU's to go with Ivy bridge 22nm CPU's and also do a complete rebuild.

I'd hate to suggest to you to get the top of the line video card right now at the tail end of their life cycle.
 
I personally am going to wait for 28nm GPU's to go with Ivy bridge 22nm CPU's and also do a complete rebuild.

I'd hate to suggest to you to get the top of the line video card right now at the tail end of their life cycle.
all he needs is a decent gpu though. you on the other hand need a whole new pc for playing some newer games if your sig is current.

OP, since there are games you want to play right now then just grab you a gtx570. a gtx570 is just fast enough top play the games you will want to play at 1920x1080 without spending too much this late in the video card cycle. anything less though and you may feel you have to get something faster when it comes out.
 
Last edited:
Get 570 and OC it to 580... when the 28 nm cards are out, and they won't be much faster, just add 2nd card.

FLOPSsp ≈ f × n × 2.
No overclocking can add shaders

OP a 570 can max out most at that resolution and play some at lower detail on a higher resolution. Off course the 580 will give you better performance in the long run as more demanding games are released.
 
Back
Top