Big Typhoon in DFI boards

Synful Serenity

[H]ard|Gawd
I have looked into installing the Big Typhoon quite extensively, but I still have some questions. I am aware of the fact that due to DFI's non-standard backplate, conventional installation is not possible without longer screws, and I know that the alternative is to reverse the screws coming up from the bottom. Here's where there's some confusion: What are the advantages to using the included metal backplate versus the stock DFI one? Is it some kind of stiffness/stability issue? Also, I haven't been able to find a clear consensus over the use of the foam H....What have most of you with Big Typhoons done?

After experimenting a little, it looks as if the metal H plate will put pressure on diodes on the back of the board, even with the sponge H. However, the stock plastic DFI backplate, while giving the chips some breathing room in the middle, is thick enough that the screws coming up from the bottom might protrude ever so slightly, possibly coming into contact with the side of the case underneath the board. Though the screws don't appear to come into contact with the mobo, it is still something to think about.

I had heard of people having issues with installing the Big Typhoon, but I chose it knowing that it has been done before, and that a way exists to properly mount it. I just need to know what that is :D Given that it's popular enough already, I would imagine that if it had a more secure and easier mounting method, it would be a runaway hit, almost a logical standard for ocing like DFI boards are. All Thermaltake had to do was include a standard metal backplate, or longer screws! In the meantime, it seems this is an issue for other heatsinks as well.

So maybe I should be more general even....Should you use metal or plastic backplates with aftermarket heatsinks?

I did a bunch of research on this before I got mine and ended up using the plastic backing that was already there--easier to use & no problems. I love my BT!

Back