• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Big typhoon H Foam pad replacement?

rpenguin

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
4
My GA-P35-DS3L crapped out on me 2 days ago, and I already have a replacement. Thing is I want to be able to use my big typhoon with my new mobo, but I don't have another foam H shaped pad for the installation. It was ruined trying to take it of the old mobo.

I was wondering if any of you had tried using something besides the included thermaltake pad. Like maybe double sided foam tape?

They have actual replacement kits here
http://store.thermaltakeshop.com/tthplatekit.html
but after shipping, it comes out to almost $20. I think it would be crazy to spend that much on a piece of foam, and I am also broke after buying this mobo at the last minute before a lan.

So... any feedback would be appreciated.
 
just get a piece of thin foam and use the metal bracket as a stencil, then cut it out and your all set
 
i always recycle mine by carefully peeling off the pad from the old board.....fortunately its easily repairable when teared
 
So much crap like that mounting system from the Bigtyphoon i havent seen yet. That thing helped by the heat glues permanently to the pcb. Ok Thermaltake, thank you for the one cooler per motherboard idea.
 
I use the double sided tape, 2 identical pieces stuck to each other, leave the film on one side of each so that you end up with the film on the outside. Doesn't stick to the board or backing plate, reusable, and thick enough to prevent some of the solder joints on the back of the board from stickin through and grounding out. Had that happen one time....
 
I use the double sided tape, 2 identical pieces stuck to each other, leave the film on one side of each so that you end up with the film on the outside. Doesn't stick to the board or backing plate, reusable, and thick enough to prevent some of the solder joints on the back of the board from stickin through and grounding out. Had that happen one time....

Yeah, like has been said many times on many forums (this one included), just use some non-conductive padding such as foam, double sided tape, etc for a stencil and some paper or nylon washers on your bolts. (it's too late now, but I've heard you can mount the TT BT and leave the plastic paper on the sticky insulating stuff to keep it from sticking to the mobo :confused:)

I have reinstalled my TT Big Typhoon a couple of times on different mobos with absolutely no problemos using "Dollar store" double sided tape. At one time the TT BT was the best air cooling HSF on the market and, IMO, still a great HSF.

Not that you need to, the stock fan seems adequate and if it isn't to you, just replace the stock fan and use a custom 120 mm fan, 25mm, 38mm or God knows maybe even one of the super dooper high CFM fans. (double ?) The only problem with that idea is it usually causes more fan noise :eek: The stock fan is pretty quiet IMO.

Until I found good WC'ing I have always had some, IMO, first rate air cooling HSF's, like the Tuniq Tower, TT BT, Zalman 9700, etc and if I'd have stayed with air HSF's I'd have a True or the next best air cooled HSF :D. (IMO, you can't beat good WC'ing :p)

Just make sure you have NO metal touching (ie mobo solder welds, bolts from the mounting hardware, mounting plates, etc) for your re-installation.

It's safer to dry run the install and eyeball the bottom of the mobo just as a precaution ;)

Edit: I just read that URL that the OP was nice enough to include in his/her post. I've never seen that one, man, they'll try anything to make a buck ($). Ever since day one I've just used "Dollar store" double sided tape when I switched mobos, I went from AMD X2's to Intel C2D's a few times.
I even went Celeron very briefly, the TT BT has been out a long time.

I'm expecting to get a Quad eventually, either a Q9450 or a Q6600, it'll be under water. (I hope)

PS To the "vocab", "grammar" and "spelling" police, sorry about any goofs. :p

 
Hi,

I don't know about you but I found the bracket shaped foam was to stick to the bracket not the board itself. I have moved my cooler to 2 other motherboards besides the current one. I never had a problem.

As for the Big Typhoon, I have never dissatisfied. It has always kept things cool. I also have the original version and lapped the hell out of the base. That might have something to do with it. My only complaint is it is sometimes too big for its own good. I am unable to install aftermarket cooling to P35 NB chipset. I have to deal with Gigabyte's stock solutions.

Later,
shaggy
 
Thanks for all the advice.

I used an old cloth mousepad, traced around the bracket, but it out and superglued it to the metal H-frame.

It installed easy and is working great right now :D
 
Hi,

I don't know about you but I found the bracket shaped foam was to stick to the bracket not the board itself. I have moved my cooler to 2 other motherboards besides the current one. I never had a problem.

As for the Big Typhoon, I have never dissatisfied. It has always kept things cool. I also have the original version and lapped the hell out of the base. That might have something to do with it. My only complaint is it is sometimes too big for its own good. I am unable to install aftermarket cooling to P35 NB chipset. I have to deal with Gigabyte's stock solutions.

Later,
shaggy

Hey shaggy, it's not nice to tell people you're smarter than them. :p

D'oh, I knew the minute I stuck that foam to the mobo I had seriously screwed up. I was lucky, it came back off in one piece :eek: (poor installation in the first place :rolleyes:)

I surfed around the web and found several people that thought it strange to stick anything to a motherboard permanently in the HSF catagory and it was suggested to just leave the wax paper on the motherboard side of the foam.

Remember, this was a long time ago. I also have, what you called, the "original version" (I guess you mean w/o the fan speed control or different fan or whatever ?) and I have tried several non stock fans on it (with fan rheostats), several cpu's under it and a few different mobos with it. I even hole sawed a hole in one case and added another fan to the hole right over top of the TT BT. (no big deal, maybe a few degrees less)

I have never had any problems cooling my system with a TT BT (remember Scotty, I'm talkin' many moons ago). IMO it was the best air cooler HSF in the wilds at the time (I think "heat pipes" were just coming into vogue ?). It cooled a Celeron (whatever the 3.0 GHz, 256 L2 was), a Athlon 3000+, a Athlon X2 4200+, a C2D E6300 and a C2D E6400. All the before mentioned cpus were OC'ed to various GHz.(I had much better luck with the C2D's)

Now I'm a WC'ing practitioner :D:D:D




.
 
Hi,

I don't know about you but I found the bracket shaped foam was to stick to the bracket not the board itself. I have moved my cooler to 2 other motherboards besides the current one. I never had a problem.

As for the Big Typhoon, I have never dissatisfied. It has always kept things cool. I also have the original version and lapped the hell out of the base. That might have something to do with it. My only complaint is it is sometimes too big for its own good. I am unable to install aftermarket cooling to P35 NB chipset. I have to deal with Gigabyte's stock solutions.

Later,
shaggy


Yep...my original Big Typhoon has been onto 3 builds now....it keeps on rocking....still looks cool, that big ass cooler, screaming "i'm a bad ass mother fucker" staring out the case window...:D
 
Hi,

Hey shaggy, it's not nice to tell people you're smarter than them. :p

D'oh, I knew the minute I stuck that foam to the mobo I had seriously screwed up. I was lucky, it came back off in one piece :eek: (poor installation in the first place :rolleyes:)

I surfed around the web and found several people that thought it strange to stick anything to a motherboard permanently in the HSF catagory and it was suggested to just leave the wax paper on the motherboard side of the foam.

Remember, this was a long time ago. I also have, what you called, the "original version" (I guess you mean w/o the fan speed control or different fan or whatever ?) and I have tried several non stock fans on it (with fan rheostats), several cpu's under it and a few different mobos with it. I even hole sawed a hole in one case and added another fan to the hole right over top of the TT BT. (no big deal, maybe a few degrees less)

I have never had any problems cooling my system with a TT BT (remember Scotty, I'm talkin' many moons ago). IMO it was the best air cooler HSF in the wilds at the time (I think "heat pipes" were just coming into vogue ?). It cooled a Celeron (whatever the 3.0 GHz, 256 L2 was), a Athlon 3000+, a Athlon X2 4200+, a C2D E6300 and a C2D E6400. All the before mentioned cpus were OC'ed to various GHz.(I had much better luck with the C2D's)

Now I'm a WC'ing practitioner :D:D:D



.

Never said I was smarter or dumber than anyone in the world but I rather be a smart ass then a dumb ass any day of the week :) Also I am one not to follow directions in making something work. Christmas around the house was always interesting to say the least.

Water cooling is something I have not yet ventured in. I have this thing from when I was a small child. It was a warm summer day. My friends and I were playing with the water hose around the camper. As the ground got wet one would slide across the grass. The camper was there to stop you from going to far. However, the camper with the chevy van chassis was grounded. Placing one's hand on the chevy van logo plate on the side of the cab gave interesting tingling feelings. It was the feelings of electricity. From that day on we learned that water and electricity do not mix.

Years later when I became a larger child, I worked in the HVAC trade. The lessons forgotten on that summer day would be relearned on a rooftop. My boss would say "Idiot do not be stepping in that puddle next the roof top unit. As my boss goes in to disconnect the thermostat for the repair a slight jolt of our friend electricity found its way to him through the screwdriver. After all he was standing in the puddle.

Seriously though, never thought about water cooling due to its expensive and need in my app. I know about water's cooling properties from my HVAC days working on coolers and chillers. Old school AC units worked with water towers and chillers with a brine solution to bring the cool air to the masses. Water towers could remove the heat faster from the condensing coils.

My cooler seen my XP2500 to E6420 to a Q6600. Every time the same result. A happy processor. As a matter of fact that same XP2500 is in my downstairs machine with a TT Volcano 12 cooler. Nothing says lapped loved copper. I have had good luck with two coolers from Thermaltake for some reason.


Yep...my original Big Typhoon has been onto 3 builds now....it keeps on rocking....still looks cool, that big ass cooler, screaming "i'm a bad ass mother fucker" staring out the case window...:D

See some of the above comments. I love the last line though. It fits it some what to a T.

Later,
shaggy
 
Back
Top