Big TV as a Monitor for GMA?

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
My Grandma is downsizing due to health and is losing her desk. As she's online a lot, we don't want her to not be able to access a desktop computer. I have the computer figured out but i am looking for advise on a TV that can function as a monitor as well as its normal TV functions. She'll be sitting about 6 feet away.

You've probably got it figured out by now, but any TV with an HDMI or VGA input will be fine for a use case like that, so long as the PC has the same outputs available.

I'd probably stick with 1080p monitors though, unless the PC has a video chip capable of driving a 2k or 4k display. Lower resolutions on larger monitors tend to not look very good.

My Grandma is downsizing due to health and is losing her desk. As she's online a lot, we don't want her to not be able to access a desktop computer. I have the computer figured out but i am looking for advise on a TV that can function as a monitor as well as its normal TV functions. She'll be sitting about 6 feet away.
6' sitting distance you would probably want a 42-50" screen, and using as a tool for online activities you'd want to stay away from OLED. For that size and use case the Hisense A6H is probably the best option since I assume she doesn't need anything fancy like HDR or VRR. The 43" model can be had for $240 and the 50" for $250. You would probably want to demo a screen at those sizes from 6' away yourself to see what would be more appropriate.
You've probably got it figured out by now, but any TV with an HDMI or VGA input will be fine for a use case like that, so long as the PC has the same outputs available.

I'd probably stick with 1080p monitors though, unless the PC has a video chip capable of driving a 2k or 4k display. Lower resolutions on larger monitors tend to not look very good.
2K == 1080p

You can use DPI scaling to make programs and text appear larger on higher resolution screens. I run my 48" 4K TV at 200% from about 4 feet away, which is about the equivalent DPI of 1080p on that screen size. Most modern programs including web browsers respect the Windows DPI scaling setting.

Last edited:
Any big TV is fine. Make sure to enable game mode in the TV settings, to avoid any image processing which increases latency and makes the mouse harder to use.

Back