• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Big tablet/laptop suggestions?

jdenn

n00b
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
15
As far as what I can tell, what I am looking for is a 'unicorm' laptop... I am getting ready to go back to grad school for either cyber security, engineering or maybe computer science so I am going to need something with a bit of horsepower and something that I can type on. Money and battery life within reason isn't an issue. some other things I have been considering is the quality of the digitizer for note taking and a discrete graphics card.
I stopped in a bestbuy to play with some of the display models... I started thinking the surface pro 2 was going to be perfect for me but I found both keyboards really awkward to type on an extended period. I started looking at some 13 inch tablets and found them a little better... Moving on to some 15 in tablets I found them good to type on as expected.... My issue is that I seem to be running in circles for these tablets... So what am I missing? I have been looking at the lenovo flex, Sony flip 15...
On the outside for the 13 inch tablets I was looking at was: Lenovo yoga 2, Sony Duo 13, Sony Flip 13,Acer Aspire S7
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
 
Figuring out what you want is difficult, I'm having the same problem :p

How important is the tablet form factor? Active digitizer (I assume you mean an active one)? Discrete graphics requirement? What about other considerations?

Something not out yet, but soon, that you could look at is the Thinkpad Yoga.
 
If I was to forgo the tablet I think my decision would be a whole lot easier, even if I had had a whole lot more options.
For the most important option is the ability to type on it which is why I prefer the larger form factor, most of these 11 and 13 inch tablets I played with I had a lot of trouble typing on and I'd rather not carry around a BT keyboard everywhere, second to that is the ability to use it as a tablet to write, take notes etc (pen support)
Processing power is also something I'm concerned about if I am going to need to be doing code, CAD, simulations etc.
Discrete graphics are a plus and the ability to do run some moderate games like Civ, tf2 etc would be great...
That is why I keep coming back to the flip 15. The flip 15 has an i7-4500U as an option, a Nvidia 735m, N-trig digitizer as options.
 
Back
Top