big situation, need help.

madel

Bad Trader
Ok, this problem is definitely for the more knowledgable networkers and connection people on this board, but here is the situation.

Basically i have a ghetto network: Two computers.

Computer 1 plugs directly into the internet VIA USB port, and then it has a ethernet card.

Computer 2 accesses the internet VIA computer 1's ethernet card, so basically its a computer to computer network.

Now, it has worked fine and actually great unti the past few days, and I am still not even sure its the network. My connection went down one night, and I thought it was down. I just randomly decided to restart computer one, even though my cable modem wasnt giving an activity response, and it turned back on, everything was working fine, but this was like 11PM.

Next morning, wake up, internet doesnt work on computer 2, but it works on computer 1. The thing is though, its not that it isnt completely nonfunctional. Everything related to the internet doesnt work, but when i goto sign on AOL IM, it goes to the second stage, verifying password, and stops there, and just waits there. Also, I can load pages like MSN.com but it takes a light year. I lookd at the network, and it was setup the same way it had been in the prior weeks etc, so there was no problem with the network. I then looked at how the computers were communicating, and i noticed that computer 1 was sending a normal ammount of packets(i guess) upstairs, and I wasnt recieving any on computer 1 in comparison to the number i was sending it seem like a huge indiffence. Hoever i was recieving a few upstairs, but not nearly as many as i was sending.

Basically Computer 1 : Sending normal packets, recieving 0.
Computer 2: Sending normal, recieving small amt in comparison to ammt sent. I think the number was like (3000 sent, 300 recieved).

So then, at like 11PM i get home, and the internet upstairs is starting to become functional. I can sign on AOL, but it is signing me off every 3 minutes or so, while the computer downstairs seems to have a constant internet. Then around 12 my internet upstairs goes up full speed, no problems barred. Go to sleep at like 5AM.

Wake up this morning, same problem, really sh!tty internet.

Anyone ever experience this problem?

I also called comcast (AS if they would know anything), and he couldnt help me on the networking issue, because they dont support that, but he said that he was pining computer 1, and it was responding normally, and there were no changes to our connection.....

HELP !!!

Actually that is not an advanced problem at all. About as novice as you can get really. Uninstall windows ICS, reboot, then reinstall. Windows internet connection is a poor way to share an internet but if your dedicated to it get used to it giving you problems periodically. That may not be your problem but anytime ICS is part of a problem scenario, it's the prime suspect.

I dunno though. I think there is some type of overflow bullshit going on. The ping has been bad my dad is saying he is getting like 200ping on computer1 during peak, but im on XP and im not sure how to remove windows internet sharing?

just disable it then re-enable it?

Right click on network neighborhood> properties

right click on the shared conenction > properties

sharing tab > disable the sharing

restart

Do all that, but in reverse order.

should i do it on both computers, or just computer 1 that has the internet?

also - would a router solve this problem, and can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong?

just disabled ICS on computer 1's internet connection, restarted, then enabled it, and restarted.

computer upstairs still doesnt connct.

Have you taken up AOL's recient offer of a firewall? if So that could be whats stopping propper communication to and from the computer upstairs.

its not aol.

im almost convinced my cable modem is ghetto.

i think its an overloaded node. nothing i can do about that except stop using ICS and get a router to balance the load.

neone with any other input?

im gonna buy a router today and see how that goes. i think it will balance the load.

Originally posted by madel
neone with any other input?

im gonna buy a router today and see how that goes. i think it will balance the load.
If your cable modem has a LAN jack in it as well as the USB (some of them do) then go with a hardware router. I got one for $40 and it saved me a lot of trouble.

If your cable modem is USB-only, I've heard of there being routers which can use them, but I've never see one. I'd recommend getting a cable modem with ethernet...it just makes life easier.

I used a LinkSys broadband router at home when I had DSL. Administration is easy, and configuration is about as simple as it gets. It can obtain all the necessary information from your PC and configure itself automatically with the included software.

LinkSys makes some nifty stuff...next on my list is their dual-port print server with integrated 4-port switch. That, and their 802.11g WAP and I'll be set :)

Originally posted by PopeKevinI
If your cable modem has a LAN jack in it as well as the USB (some of them do) then go with a hardware router. I got one for $40 and it saved me a lot of trouble.

If your cable modem is USB-only, I've heard of there being routers which can use them, but I've never see one. I'd recommend getting a cable modem with ethernet...it just makes life easier.

I used a LinkSys broadband router at home when I had DSL. Administration is easy, and configuration is about as simple as it gets. It can obtain all the necessary information from your PC and configure itself automatically with the included software.

LinkSys makes some nifty stuff...next on my list is their dual-port print server with integrated 4-port switch. That, and their 802.11g WAP and I'll be set :)

And remember Linksys is made by Cisco. ;)

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
I believe the proper way to word this would be... "And remember Linksys is owned by Cisco" :)

Close enough. :p

I'm not saying AOL the isp is whats causing it I'm saying that if you have their firewal and its not configured right I can see it causing all the problems you have stated.

Back