Big screen freesync/HDR 4k or smaller g-sync display?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm tired of using my mediocre 2015 48ju6700 Samsung 4k 48" TV with fake HDR as a display.

As like everyone else with a Nvidia based card we have to decide either between a larger 4k display with either Freesync or a smaller g-sync display.

I don't really like ultrawide, I had an early one too many games didn't support it, would rather have a full 4k display even at a lower refresh rate.

I'm a little conflicted- some of the newer Samsung TV's with freesync seem like a decent compromise (even though I couldn't take advantage of the Freesync), but I'd still rather get a full-fledged large screen 4k display.

HDR is kind of a mess in PC gaming right now anyways, but when it works it's impressive.

I saw that. That's not real HDR, wouldn't I be better off buying one of the new Samsung TV's with Freesync?

They do 120Hz at 1080P, so they have a bit of High-Refresh ability... but this one does 120Hz at 4K.

They do 120Hz at 1080P, so they have a bit of High-Refresh ability... but this one does 120Hz at 4K.
Interesting. Not sure I want to spend that much importing from S Korea tho.

I just noticed there's a 43" BFGD coming out next year. Knowing Nvidia probably cost $3k+, but I might as well wait at this point to see how the market pans out. My 1080ti can barely drive 60Hz @ 4k on most games anyways.

I have a Samsung Q7F 55" on Vega 64 CF. It's a nice display, for sure, the colors and brightness are top notch. And HDR is pretty decent as well, though not as good as LG OLED (I'd say it comes close enough).

FreeSync was the main reason I got the TV, but it's not especially useful. Because at 4K the FreeSync range is only from 48 - 60 Hz. I guess it's good if you are borderline 60 fps, but it's kind of limited.

When playing at 1440p or 1080p you can run true 120Hz and the FreeSync range is much better, I think 20 - 120 Hz. This is super smooth and nice, but then you get a somewhat blurry looking image and clearly diminished from 4K.

I'm currently gaming on a ultrawide G-Sync panel, LG 34" IPS 2560x1080 @ 166Hz. For me, I really prefer the higher refresh, so I went down in resolution to get smoother performance.

I'd recommend giving ultrawide another look. I would say most games work with no problem, and even ones that don't out of box and be modded or tweaked. There may be only a few games that don't work at all, worst case you play with black bars.

I think I actually like a 34" size better, as I can see everything but still get an immersive feel. Coming from a big-screen TV, I probably wouldn't go lower than 32" for a monitor, but you can find those easily if you want 16:9.

So definitely get G-Sync and high refresh, and do some research on ultrawide. It's really nice once everything is working.

May not be what you thought you wanted, but it may be what you need.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12319531-3...ed-monitor-720-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Alienware AW3418DW.

120hz
IPS
GSync
Lowest input lag of any 34” gaming monitor
3 year pixel perfect guarantee by Dell
Curved
RGB lighting

$719 free shipping, no tax. (Cheapest it’s ever been)

Widely considered the best gaming display available.
I wasn't planning on going ultrawide again, but I'll see how low the price drops tomorrow. Hard to drop down from 4k too.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950G-B-gaming-monitor

The new ultrawide panels are starting to come out, probably why the price on this one is dropping so much.

Well, the monitor normally goes for $900. So I think it's already the black friday/cyber monday price.

Last edited:
Also, a 34" WQHD monitor would have greater pixel density than a 48" 4K TV.

So the screen is obviously smaller but wouldn't necessary be a downgrade in picture fidelity.

Hell, I'm even running 1080p ultrawide and it still looks acceptable (though I wouldn't recommend it for everyone). A 1440p ultrawide would look great.

Something to think about.

Back