Big problems with my D-Link DI-524...

TheSarge

n00b
Yeah, so I just got cable internet about two months ago. For a while, my router was working fine and both my computer (The one the cable modem is hooked up to) and the other computer (The one that uses the wireless card) had the internet. All of a sudden though, it stops working. I can't get any internet access through the router on either computer, although if I connected only through the modem (Meaning my computer has internet only), my internet works fine. I call Cox, they say it's a problem with the router. Ok....

So I return the router, come back and hook it up and the net works fine for both computers. I think it's a hardware problem, and that it's fixed now. However, I had unhooked the router for a while (Once again, my computer only has the internet now), hook it back up later and the internet's not working once again. I really don't think it's a hardware problem, but something else. It's giving me the exact same problems as before: the browser window pops up, but I have nothing on the loading bar and it just sits there until there's an error page. Now, I read somewhere that both the router and the modem have to be in the same range IP address (Which, from what I understand, means having the same first 2-3 numbers), and it is true that my modem and router have different ranges. However, when I hooked the new router up the first time, it was working fine (Although I didn't check to see whether or not the IP address was changed) and from what I can tell, Cox gives you one IP address and doesn't change it. So, I'm pretty screwed, either I fix this router problem or my computer loses internet access for the family. Has anyone ever had any experience with this problem before?

EDIT: I have a Motorola SB5120 Surfboard and a D-Link DI-524 if that means anything. Not really sure about any of my router settings, though I've tried day in and day out trying to fix it.

Update the firmware. If you need instruction on how to do it please let me know.

I'd try it, but the problem is the router has to be working in order for me to access the settings. It's one of the routers that you have to type its IP address into the address bar to access the settings and you change stuff from there, but whenever I try to do that I can't access the page.

Back