Big Problem...keep burning up DVD Drives!!

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay here's my problem, I didn't catch this until I messed up my second drive. I bought two nec 3540A's for me and my dad. I recently built the system in my signature and when I was building it I burnt up the first drive and didn't think about what had happened, not knowing I blew something up I just thought the drive was DOA. I then used my dads and rearranged stuff around and plugged in my dads drive and was using it for awhile. Well today, I decided to do alittle wire management and when I went to fire up the computer...I smelt this peculiar smell, I knew something was frying, I unplugged my DVD drive and could smell it strongly from the power receptcle. Seeing how my PSU is modular, I wanted to plug my optical and my Audigy 2 Front bay together. Well whenever that happens it ended up frying the drive. Too bad it took two perfectly good drives before I noticed that it was the reason it was frying them. Does anyone know why this is happening? also the Audigy 2 Front Bay takes a floppy drive power cord, and it does come with the standard power cable adapter into the floppy plug, and that is what I have been using! So now im out of an DVD drive until my order gets in next tuesday...and now I can smell the burnt remains of my NEC 3540A drive lofting in my room :( Thanks for the help, Mike

EDIT : Okay now my Audigy 2 Front Bay wont work!!! :mad: I can tell its getting power, because the fiber optic light is on....everything is plugged in!!! I checked the voltage on the cable and i get 12.05 +\- 00.01 volts.

Got an Important question... the wires on the cable goes RED(12v) BLACK(G) BLACK(G) YELLOW(5v) Right? Well I was trying out the upper two modular plug-ins for the back of the psu and on the one I fried the optical drive on, the RED is 5Volts and the Yellow is 12Volts, I'm assuming this thing is messed up from the get-go and is manufacturing error. I tried the other modular plug on the back of the PSU and I get RED is 12volts and YELLOW is 5volts. So Im asking is this...Im betting this is the reason both Drives are fried and now My Audigy 2 Front Bay doesn't work? So what should I do? should I RMA my drive and Audigy 2 back to newegg? what about the PSU? Or how should I handle this? Should I see what OCZ has too say about the problem and maybe them deal with the broken parts or what. Im almost 90percent sure that this voltage setup is wrong. ANy Input would be great thank you for your help

Bump for anyone having any ideas? could the bad plug be the culprit for the destruction of the drives and front bay

EDIT - Okay from my lack of knowledge, I found out that the RED wire is suppose to be the 5volt Rail and the YELLOW is the 12Volt nevertheless, this PSU still reads, on one of the plugs that the red wire is 12volts and the yellow wire is 5 volts.

If you are right and the one modular plug is indeed reading 12 volts on the red wire and 5 volts on the yellow wire you found your own problem.

This being the case OCZ should assume the responsibility for damage and repairs, not New Egg or NEC because they did nothing wrong.

Be very sure of your diagnosis and then contact OCZ tech support and explain your situation. I keep hearing good things about how much OCZ has improved their customer service end of things so now it’s your turn to find out.

Luck

I saw a post about this at their BleedingEdge forum support site. Go there and look, and I'm sure you'll see it. They were sending out replacement cables to a bunch of people. I would bet they'd foot the bill for your NEC's

Kil4Thril said:
I saw a post about this at their BleedingEdge forum support site. Go there and look, and I'm sure you'll see it. They were sending out replacement cables to a bunch of people. I would bet they'd foot the bill for your NEC's

Thanks for the info but, I checked the plugs at the PSU (skipping the cable) and they were still wrong, I got rma numbers for the sound card and the PSU...if creative has any problem fixing it and it costs alot, Im going to try and get OCZ to pay for the cost, seeing how that it is a manufacturing error, which I had no control over. Thanks

Back