Big Problem: HELP

Heligrin

Limp Gawd
Hi, i am having this wierd and serious problem, my "system" prcoess causes my CPU usage to jump from any where to 50-90% utilization, causing my computer to stop or hand. It also causes all my sound to dissappear saying that my direct sound source is not working. I just did a format and this problem is still occuring. I do not know what to do. Do you guys have any idea where to go for help, because i am also THAT desparate to go to microsoft. I am wondering if maybe it is trying to install drivers under the ststem process. How do i figure that out?

Picture:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4268/cpuu3sy.jpg

Wow dude you have way not enough memory. I would start there first. Windows needs at least 512MB to run well. I can see why your system may seem sluggish just because of that. It is normal for the utilization to go up and down, but the lack of memory may be causing the lag. my .02

Shmuckety said:
Sorry must be getting tired. I am seeing things. :confused: How are your temps?

I went back to stock settings, just to see if it was my OC and it wasnt.

Temps now are ~30 idle and 35 load.

nobody_here said:
take out the sound card, uninstall sound card drivers, and try running it

I unistalled the drivers and i still got the problem. I could see in my graph some periodic spikes, though i might remove my sound card all together to see.

What exactly is a HIJACKTHIS logfile? I have heard of it while looking around for other people with the same problem.

Does it happen as soon as you boot up? IF so, trying running msconfig and then selectively load each line of the startup sequence line by line to track down which line of code causes the issue. That will at least tell you which app is causing the issue.

No, it does not happen as soon as i boot up. It could happen anywhere from 20-30 minutes into loading windows. It doesnt cause my system to lose sound UNTIL i try and change a song in WMP, it then cycles through and gives me a sound error and i have to restart. The random spikes in the system process has me completley fooled, i have unistalled every driver to no avail. I am thinking it might be a driver the system process is trying to install, but cannot.

Heligrin said:
I unistalled the drivers and i still got the problem. I could see in my graph some periodic spikes, though i might remove my sound card all together to see.

What exactly is a HIJACKTHIS logfile? I have heard of it while looking around for other people with the same problem.

Hijack this is a program, goole for it and run it and post a log file or whatever they are asking for, i have never used it myself, but alot of people refer to it, just cuts down alot on asking you what you specifically have

i would remove the sound card altogether and try it

Is this Right?
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:50:58 PM, on 3/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Heligrin\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1143341949609
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

have you tried disabling the network before booting? Jsut to see if the CPU usage goes away. As someone said, run Hijack, it's likely you're got some piece of software you've installed on your fresh formatted OS that has some spyware/etc...

OOOPS I'm lookin over the LOG - edited: late reply. l o l z

ugh ... well there isnt anything obvious. I would only try to point the finger at the Creative Labs apps/registration reminders, office apps, or even windows messenger which I try to stop form autoloading. Have you taken note of what service causes these spikes, when it's happening, pop over to the process tab and take a look.

Heligrin said:
Is this Right?
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:50:58 PM, on 3/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE

try removing cthelper.exe from your system, i do it every time after re-installing my Creative drivers, it is an unnecessary executeable for most people and is notorious for hogging resources

basically what you want to do is delete the CTHELPER registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, then re-boot, find the cthelper.exe in your C:?Windows directory, and delete it, reboot, test

http://www.file.net/process/cthelper.exe.html

MrkXCeL said:
ugh ... well there isnt anything obvious. I would only try to point the finger at the Creative Labs apps/registration reminders, office apps, or even windows messenger which I try to stop form autoloading. Have you taken note of what service causes these spikes, when it's happening, pop over to the process tab and take a look.

The system process is causing the spike however, what i want to know is what is going on INSIDE the system, which is causing it to spike.

Heligrin said:
The system process is causing the spike however, what i want to know is what is going on INSIDE the system, which is causing it to spike.

telling ya......rid thyself of cthelper.exe

Try this.....click START...click RUN...type.." msconfig"...without the quotes
press enter.
Go to the start up tab
cthelper should be listed there
uncheck the box beside it and and click apply then close.
Restart your computer.

this method is less intrusive than the previous method

Can you duplicate the at will? What actions are you taking when this is happening?
is this an OEM build or a home built system? What OS are you using?

Do you have a sound card and on board sound?

If you have both:
---> Confirm that the onboard audio is disabled in bios (this might be an on board jumper)
------> try and replicate the error
If you still have the error
---> Pull the sound card and leave the onboard sound disabled
------> try and replicate the error

Since you've recently did a format I'm looking for conflict with the hardware.

You might also want to start testing from the BIOS "safe" default settings and remove all devices. It could be some bad IRQ settings.

Yea, i have some stuff running right now monitoring processes. I cannot duplicate it at will. It just randomly appears, thats what has me boggled. I am going to go into safe mode and run filemon like you said. This did not happen when i first built my computer.

OS - XP home SP2
Home built

Heligrin said:
Yea, i have some stuff running right now monitoring processes. I cannot duplicate it at will. It just randomly appears, thats what has me boggled. I am going to go into safe mode and run filemon like you said. This did not happen when i first built my computer.

OS - XP home SP2
Home built

You actually want to be running it while you're using your comp as usual. I'm only somewhat familiar with the program but you should be able to have it log the output with a time stamp. Then you can figure out what was being accessed at the time. I don't know if this will lead you right to a conclusion but it may help ;)

SO i discovered that when the process spikes, these are the threads that eat up my CPU

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x7f
hal.dll!KfLowerIrql+0x17
USBPORT.SYS+0xd1f6
USBPORT.SYS+0x14198
USBPORT.SYS+0x13d5c
USBPORT.SYS+0x18dfe
USBPORT.SYS+0x21e2
ntkrnlpa.exe!IoBuildPartialMdl+0xed
usbhub.sys+0x7f0e
ntkrnlpa.exe!ExQueueWorkItem+0x1b2
ntkrnlpa.exe!PsRemoveCreateThreadNotifyRoutine+0x21e
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x5a2

And the USBS are there only when the system spikes, in normal its everywith without USB

Shmuckety said:
Wow dude you have way not enough memory. I would start there first. Windows needs at least 512MB to run well. I can see why your system may seem sluggish just because of that. It is normal for the utilization to go up and down, but the lack of memory may be causing the lag. my .02

No, I have 512 on my emachines but 128 is taken by the video card and it operates window great at 384mb of RAM

Back