BIG moon pic I took tonight with my Drebel and 8" telescope BIG PIC

Davenow

Gawd
I left this large because I didnt feel a resize did it justice. I compressed it a touch so it will load in a reasonable time though :)
Again, prime focus right through the telescope.
moon2.jpg

Neat, looks a little soft around the edges I think, but still good.

What's with that red dot?

BillLeeLee said:

Its either a star or Saturn. Saturn was VERY close to the moon tonight, and VERY bright. So with the way fast exposure that was used, it very well may have come out like that. I have seen stars do that before.

It looks soft because of the compression and because it wasnt 100% focused, its hard to eyeball through the camera... I need to make a hartman mask.

great picture.. I am glad you did not resize it, I think this is the best picture of the moon I've seen up to date; part of why it looks so good is because you didn't resize it. I asked you a while back about the costs of astrophotography and never replied to thank you for your response, well, thanks. It is an expensive hobby that I will definitely get into as soon as I can althought I don't think it's gonna be too soon. I'll just have to settle for your pictures. :)

Nice picture. When you take picture of the moon do you point directly at the moon or what? Also, do you need a special filter to take those kind of pictures and sun set?

Great capture!! I have to agree with the others- it looks like it is oh so slightly out of focus. That may be because of your scope optics/colimation though. But job well done! :)

(I need something in that focal length.. my SCT only shows 1/3 of the moon prime focus with my d-reb, and my other scope is a bit too wide for lunar work..)

The scope is colimated dead on with a laser, its just that I focused it through the camera instead of with a mask.
Also the seeing was HORRIBLE last night, which affects it big time.

Davenow said:
The scope is colimated dead on with a laser, its just that I focused it through the camera instead of with a mask.
Also the seeing was HORRIBLE last night, which affects it big time.
Good shot for sure. Yeah seeing can fubar everything most of the time. But it turned out quite well despite that.

cool shot

BillLeeLee said:

thats probably a hot pixel on the camera sensor

they show up on long exposures/high ISO shots....nothing to worry about...

4b5eN+EE said:
cool shot

thats probably a hot pixel on the camera sensor

they show up on long exposures/high ISO shots....nothing to worry about...

Its not showing up on any other long exposure/high iso shots though.

Im telling you guys, it was not the camera. I have done extensive testing after that, and took many other shots that night, and its not in any of them.

even slightly out of focus, it's great! What are some good links to learn about / shop about telescopes? Sorry if this is a duplicate question... I just got a house and am thinking about abusing my deck. :)

wow, that is awesome!

how do you connect a telescope to your rebel? <--- Newb Q

sulfur_lad said:
even slightly out of focus, it's great! What are some good links to learn about / shop about telescopes? Sorry if this is a duplicate question... I just got a house and am thinking about abusing my deck. :)

http://www.andysshotglass.com/articles.html

He has some GREAT articles in there. Watch the ones about the $800 question, and "dont do what I did" especially.

Whatever you do, stay FAR away from dept store telescopes, and 99% of what is sold at palces like ritz camera brick and mortar stores.

Jpitzo said:
wow, that is awesome!

how do you connect a telescope to your rebel? <--- Newb Q

T mount. No eyepiece, no lense. T mount screws to ring, ring goes in focuser on scope.

This is M42, the orion nebula. This is my best shot so far. It can get MUCh better than this, but I am not there yet
smallerneb2.jpg

This is M81 and M82. One is an edge on galaxy, the other is a spiral. If you look closely at the galaxy in the upper right, you can just make out the big spiral arms. They are faint but they are there.
smallergal.jpg

Good deal what was your exposure time on M81-2. Yeah the Orion is always a tough one to get how you like. I never have.

Back