Big monitor for photo/video

joseba01

n00b
Hi!

My HP LP2475w is dying and I need a new display (standard gamut this time), basically for photo and video editing.

Now I work with two monitors (24'' and 21,5'') but I was thinking of getting one of those ultrawide displays. Working on After Effects on a 3440x1440 display must be great.

So I've been searching for the options available out there and I liked the LG 34um95 but I've seen that it has some pretty noticiable blacklight bledding... (almost decided for this, but I changed my mind)
What other options do I have?
Will the new UC97 have this problem too? And the AOC?
Any recommendations? Maybe wait for the Dell?

Another doubt... Should I wait for 4k ips dropping prices? I make motion graphics, animation and that stuff, but I don't see the 4K resolution being a real standard in the near future...
In that case, what about that Asus PA328Q is coming in the next months?

Nothing but doubts here!

Any recommendation?
Thanks!

I too am looking for a new monitor for photo/video editing. I've gone round and round, I ordered a Qnix 32'monitor from Amazon (which still hasn't shipped) but am seriously giving the LG 34UM65 a look. There is no perfect monitor, they all have issues, just find the one with the features your looking for, buy and enjoy.

I too am looking for a new monitor for photo/video editing. I've gone round and round, I ordered a Qnix 32'monitor from Amazon (which still hasn't shipped) but am seriously giving the LG 34UM65 a look. There is no perfect monitor, they all have issues, just find the one with the features your looking for, buy and enjoy.

Yes, I know there is no perfect monitor (at least in this price range), and I was almost decided to get the 34UM95, but I've read so many issues...
I guess that there must be a lot of happy owners that have no issues and just don't post on forums how happy they are with the LG... But I don't know...

Any other recommendations guys?

Thanks!

I'm still looking for a good monitor for photo/video. This is so hard!

I think I've ruled out the 1440p monitors, I want 4K.

No news about the ASUS PA328Q?

Ultrawide is what I would get. the extra horizontal space is great for premiere and photoshop.
For video editing the backlight bleed shouldn't be an issue as you can have a separate monitor for preview output in Premiere to make sure your video levels are correct.

working with photos that have dark elements in them can pose an issue though as the bleeding area will appear greyish black, but it looks like it's only in the corners from what I have read.
I am using the lower model LG, the 25" 21:9 and there is slight bleed in the top left and bottom right of the screen.

VA panel is not an option :(

Ultrawide is what I would get. the extra horizontal space is great for premiere and photoshop.
For video editing the backlight bleed shouldn't be an issue as you can have a separate monitor for preview output in Premiere to make sure your video levels are correct.

working with photos that have dark elements in them can pose an issue though as the bleeding area will appear greyish black, but it looks like it's only in the corners from what I have read.
I am using the lower model LG, the 25" 21:9 and there is slight bleed in the top left and bottom right of the screen.

I love those ultrawide displays but he backlight bleed of the LGs is unacceptable for me. And I want 4k res if possible, not just 1440p.

Thanks anyway!!

That HP is going to be hard to replace. It uses the same panel that the much more expensive NEC WUXi's use (minus the polarizer).

I still have my NEC next to a Asus PB278Q because it's much better when colour is of critical importance. That being said the PLS panel in the Asus calibrates really well if your work flow incorporates colour profiles throughout. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-asus-pb278q-part5.html

I'd recommend the ASUS or one of the Korean PLS panels you can get from Ebay. There's really nothing better for colour accurate work unless you're willing to spend $$$$.

I got 3 of the Achieva Shimian 2560x1440 monitors a couple of days ago. I don't do color accurate work but compared to my Dell 2209wa, TV, HannsG 281d, and even the laptop screens they korean monitors blow them out of the water color wise. Since they are A- grade apple cinema displays that is probably the cheapest you can get into decent color reproduction so long as you get a good one.

That HP is going to be hard to replace. It uses the same panel that the much more expensive NEC WUXi's use (minus the polarizer).

I still have my NEC next to a Asus PB278Q because it's much better when colour is of critical importance. That being said the PLS panel in the Asus calibrates really well if your work flow incorporates colour profiles throughout. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-asus-pb278q-part5.html

I'd recommend the ASUS or one of the Korean PLS panels you can get from Ebay. There's really nothing better for colour accurate work unless you're willing to spend $$$$.

Thanks Stanley. I think I'll wait for the ASUS PA328Q but I don't see any new info about it...

I got 3 of the Achieva Shimian 2560x1440 monitors a couple of days ago. I don't do color accurate work but compared to my Dell 2209wa, TV, HannsG 281d, and even the laptop screens they korean monitors blow them out of the water color wise. Since they are A- grade apple cinema displays that is probably the cheapest you can get into decent color reproduction so long as you get a good one.

I don't see myself buying one of those korean monitors... I think I'll wait for better known brands

Why is this so hard? :D

The Eizo EV3237 and LG 31UM97 are the best of the properly reviewed 4K 32", but one has to rely on Google translate to read them. The LG seems like the superior choice since it is cheaper than the Eizo and offers similar performance. Monitor aficionado's won't take the Samsung U32D970Q seriously since it uses a grainy matte coating and LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects) when the brightness is set below 25%.

Eizo EV3237 Review by =DEAD=
Lg 31UM97 Review by Daywalker

The Acer B326HK and BenQ BL3201PH are likely also fine, but there are no proper reviews, yet.

HP LP2475 sucks compared to the 2490WUXi and majority of 24" 1200p IPS released in the past few years. It uses a grainy matte coating, is wide gamut and lacks a functioning sRGB mode which makes it useless the majority of people who do not use with programs which support colour management.

Last edited:
The Eizo EV3237 and LG 31UM97 are the best of the properly reviewed 4K 32", but one has to rely on Google translate to read them. The LG seems like the superior choice since it is cheaper, is wide gamut unlike the Eizo and offers similar performance. Monitor aficionado's won't take the Samsung U32D970Q seriously since it uses a grainy matte coating and LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects) when the brightness is set below 25%.

Eizo EV3237 Review by =DEAD=
Lg 31UM97 Review by Daywalker

The Acer B326HK and BenQ BL3201PH are likely also fine, but there are no proper reviews, yet.

HP LP2475 sucks compared to the 2490WUXi and majority of 24" 1200p IPS released in the past few years. It uses a grainy matte coating, is wide gamut and lacks a functioning sRGB mode which makes it useless the majority of people who do not use with programs which support colour management.

DO you really feel though that these are better than the 144hz Acer coming up? I feel going to 4k I would want a much larger screen than 31" With the resolution that high in windows 7 its going to be killer if the screen is not large enough I almost feel its better at 40" I love the LG you quoted:

Last edited:
I'm still trying to decide between the LG 31MU97 (why is it MU now and not UM?) and the ASUS PA328Q. I know the LG is wide gamut, more resolution, 31'' vs 32''...

Do you know good reviews about these two?

I think I'll go with the LG, but not sure yet...

The Asus can not be hardware calibrated like the LG (i1 display pro or LG's colorimeter are required) and is not wide gamut, but it does have colour compensation which makes it a superior choice for standard gamut work. The Asus will likely cost 1400$ (400$ premium for color compensation vs the Acer B326HK and BenQ BL3201PH!) in North America since it is priced on par with the LG in the UK, which is 1400$ in NA.

PC Online China has an in depth review
PC Pro UK has a very short review

The LG is referred to as the 31MU97 in North America and the UK, and the 31UM97 in some places in Europe.

Last edited:
The Asus can not be hardware calibrated like the LG (i1 display pro or LG's colorimeter are required) and is not wide gamut, but it does have colour compensation which makes it a superior choice for standard gamut work. The Asus will likely cost 1400$ (400$ premium for color compensation vs the Acer B326HK and BenQ BL3201PH!) in North America since it is priced on par with the LG in the UK, which is 1400$ in NA.

PC Online China has an in depth review
PC Pro UK has a very short review

The LG is referred to as the 31MU97 in North America and the UK, and the 31UM97 in some places in Europe.

How does that "colour compensation" works?

The BenQ BL3201PH is way cheaper, tempting... BUT I want the best (I mean for LG's-Asus's price range).

Back