• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Big CRT Recommendations?

airbatica

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2001
Messages
212
My current 17" is finally on the way out, after 7 good years of service. I'm looking for a couple of 19 or 21 inchers to replace it, and upgrade to a dual monitor setup. LCDs need not apply. New or Factory Refurbished are ok. Primary uses will be photo and video editing, 3D rendering and gaming. Also needs to play nicely with my various Sun boxen. Anyone got a good recommendation? I've seen the big Sony widescreens that everyone is crazy over, but I don't think my desk has enough room for two :p
 
the nec fe991sb is pretty good. i ran duel setup with one of those and a fe990, both black 19" crt's. using photoshop was great as well as running wow in one window and having winamp/itunes and miranda (aim) in the other.
 
The sony FW900 may be the most popular crt at the moment but last year it was the dell p1130 aka sony cpd520 21"

ibm, hp and compaq each have their version of the same monitor, most have the number "1130" in the name which makes them easier to identify.

Just be sure to buy them from a reputable merchant, or somebody with killer ratings on ebay.
 
well, at 1920x1200 the fw900 is going to be massive area to work with - worth checking out.

i got mine yesterday and it's worth it, to me. photoshop, gaming, general usage = :D
 
Since you say you can't really fit two FW900 monitors on your desk (it'd be hard for many, both together would weight 180 pounds, not to mention their gigantic in size), I'd agree with SJetski - look for a Dell P1130 or the equivalents.

www.hypermicro.com did have some, but it seems they have sold out. You'd have to look around, or go eBay.

Viewsonic G90F+ are nice monitors too, intended for graphics.
 
If you don't go for the Sony widescreens, a regular Sony Trinitron 21". I have several of them as rebranded HP and Compaqs, model P1100.
 
i'm also on the hunt for a new crt since my dell p1130 is starting to die on me.

i've been looking at the Philips 201B40 21". will it match my trinitron monitor?
 
Just thought I'd update... there are now two Dell P1130s sitting on my desk. I still can't get over how nice they are compared to my old CTX VL700 (1152x864x75hz)...Got them at Frys of all places (refurbished, 90 day warranty, $199 each).

All I can say is 1600x1200x85hz on that massive screen is a thing of beauty. Don't get me wrong, I like flat panels... I just happen to like CRTs better :D

When I finally got both monitors on the desk and powered up, they had a greenish tint to the image. I expected this, so I let them warm up for an hour or so, and then hit the color restore option in the menu. Problem solved. I didn't really have any other issues to speak of....geometry was spot on and convergence needed just a bit of tweaking to look good. My only other complaint is the cable that came with the monitor is crap.... thankfully, I had a spare that is much higher quality.

Best display purchase I've ever made :)
 
Actually the FW900 is no bigger than a regular 21" CRT, it's quite compact for its size. Its weight, on the other hand, is another story.
 
SJetski71 said:
The sony FW900 may be the most popular crt at the moment but last year it was the dell p1130 aka sony cpd520 21"

ibm, hp and compaq each have their version of the same monitor, most have the number "1130" in the name which makes them easier to identify.

Just be sure to buy them from a reputable merchant, or somebody with killer ratings on ebay.

I am loving my p1130.. although i got one with brightness issue, returning it on monday. Other then that.. ONE hell of a monitor :)
 
Diablo said:
I am loving my p1130.. although i got one with brightness issue, returning it on monday. Other then that.. ONE hell of a monitor :)
Ya, you scored well going by the info in your thread. I had a feeling you were going to buy two of them :p, and it was just so convenient that they're within driving distance. Drop off that defected one, pick up a good one and bam! transaction completed, minus shipping costs and risks. Buying locally can kicks butt at times. I would have cleared them out of the NEC F2111 if they'd had any left :D

OP yea you definitely might want to check your local craig's list for options (i should too).
 
can't believe no one mentioned the NEC FP2141SB or equivalent mitsubishi model. these are a few of the best CRT's out there.
 
Back
Top