BIG computer problems helphelphelp

carbonsteel

Weaksauce
Alright...where the hell do i even begin.

WARNING: long post ahead lol.

Alright, it all started with viruses that were caked in my computer which caused me to do a format of the harddisk. I was told that some viruses can hide in the Master Boot Record (MBR) causing it to be released everytime a new operating system is reinstalled. So what I did was use a Windows 98 diskette to "format /mbr" in the Windows 98 Fdisk dos program. After doing that, I formatted my harddrive and deleted all the partitions, still using the windows 98 diskette. Reason why I used this was because I was already there and I used it to format the mbr. So i formatted and created a new partition. Everything seemed to go alright, I didnt do a harddrive scan or a "dir" on the C:. I just closed it thinking everything was fine, i rebooted and I put in the Xp CD to begin installation of windows xp. I hit enter at the menu to start XP installation. There was the partition that i created with the windows 98 bootdisk and everything seemed whacked lol.

C: Partition1 [FAT] 114173 MB (2 MB Free)

Some stuff bugged me... the fact it said FAT and not FAT32 like it should have. Oh yeah and the fact that I JUST FORMATTED THE Harddrive and it says 2mb free so yeah lol. Anyways, it would not install windows xp on the partition, (of course it wouldnt...it turned out to be a FAT12)(ull find out below) so like protocol it asked that i format the partition using NTFS filesystem. Another odd thing was there was no option to format it using the FAT32 filesystem..i dont know why. So I had no choice but to format it using NTFS. So it starting formating using the NTFS system. After it was finished I got an error msg saying, "could not format the partition, the disk may be damaged" Please check your connection or make sure your drive is not an scsi blahblah. So im like oh ****...this already is not looking good. Ok so i thought this must be because of the windows 98 prior format or from the fact that when it started formatting, it was a FAT and not a FAT32 as u can see above. The 2mb free still bugged me, so i reboot and I load the windows 98 diskette again and run fdisk. I read the partition using fdisk, and it said there was 1 active partition and the type was a FAT12. YEAH FAT12. lol...and im like WTF. So im thinking ok thats why XP's format messed up. So again I created a new Primary Dos partition using the win 98 diskette and I formatted it again. After i did everything, this time i made sure everything was working. So i checked the partition and this time it did format in the FAT32 system. And i did a C:\ dir. Everything seemed fine, it had a volume serial ID it had the 114 thousand mb, and had the proper File Not Found error. Alright so im thinking ok its gonna work. REBOOTED, PUT IN THE XP CD. Hit enter to being installation and the partition was there.

C: Partition1 [FAT32] 114173 MB (114172 MB Free)

Note: the 2mb free was gone...it was acting normal.

I hit enter again and the option came up if i want to format the partition using NTFS (again no FAT32 option to format it) or just install windows on this partition now that it was finally a FAT32. So I just installed windows and everything seemed to go alright until it was finalizing the installation. Then I got some COM script error and a very complicated one that i wasnt about to write down...and im think for $#%$# sakes. I bypass it by clicking ok and setup seemed to continue. After windows installed the computer rebooted, and windows was just a nice green grass backround and nothing else. no icons, no start menu, no toolbard, no right-click. Just nice purrrty grass. I was pissed. So im thinking scew this and i reboot again using the xp cd. I click R for repair and I dont have the Admin password and i dont have a clue on earth what it could be...I just installed windows and i never created a password.. SO im like screw it...I go to reinstall windows AGAIN. I go to format the partition through winxp setup CD, thinking everything will be fine. Again only option was NTFS (Quick) and NTFS. Still no FAT32 option...Weird enough as it is, i again tried formatting using NTFS and i get the same damage error check your harddisk connection and make sure its not a scsi. So back to windows 98 fdisk i go...formatted again using FAT32. Everything again went fine...it read it as 114megs free total space...the normal file not found error. Bak to the windows xp cd...i ran repair to check my harddisk through there. I didnt need a password since windows xp was just formatted. So i was at the C: prompt in repair. I type DIR. I get a message saying something about emulation or emulator. Could not something because of the emulator or emulation. I cant remember the exact error. So i type chkdsk. I get a nice error saying "Your harddisk volume contains one or more unrecoverable errors" So i did a fixboot and a fixmbr. I do a chkdsk again...I dont get that error, but i get it saying my harddrive is about ohhh 10mb lol. So...........

Why does win 98 fdisk read my harddisk normally...114,000,000 free space or whatever it is....the normal "/ file not found". Its got volume serial ID.

Windows 98 fdisk scandisk finds no surface errors on the harddisk.

Why does winxp repair say some weird shit about an emulator when i click
C:\ dir.

Why does winxp repair have the volume serial number at 0000-0000 when i do a chkdsk....

I swear sometimes computers have minds of thier own. Ive had XP read the file type as [UNKNOWN] [FAT] [FAT32] when im setting up. Either one, it wont format it, it says its damaged. I just had a xp on this computer like 2 days ago. What kinda harddisk failure is this...and when im not in xp repair it says nothing about emulation when i type dir. When iam in XP repair and type dir it says it says stuff about emulator. And when i type chkdsk i either get an error saying You have one more more unrecoverable volume errors, unless i rewite the bootsector (fixboot) or (fixmbr) then chkdsk will read it as 10 thousand and something kilobytes. And when I know quite a bit about computers but when things dont add up it bugs to to hell and i need some input. Honestly, i have a feeling if was to install windows 98 on this harddisk it would work 100%... HOnestly the only thing i can come up with...is that a virus is in the bootsector and is rewriting itself in a different sector of the hd everytime I created a new a bootsector...i dunno ive heard of viruses that do that...or is it a virus thats blocking XP formats or XP installations. I just dont get it... 98 fdisk finds no physical errors. Reads the drive normally. Xp wont read the drive normally, once said 2mb free, says someshit about emulation, says something about 1 or 2 unrecoverable errors in the volume, and dont forget the 10mb total space that it says after i fix the bootsectors. Im thinking back goes the hd for a new one. Just odd...the whole thing. Id really appreciate some input asap...thanks so much for all ur patience

I MIGHT wanna add...on one of my bootups it said my CPU was running at 4c/39F. Just thought id add that. Maybe its the motherboard...whoooo knows eh....the twilight zooooone.

Ive also tried deleting and creating partitions with the XP CD. It does it....but it still wont format it. I still get the "cannot format partition" error everytime... 98 fdisk will format it though. I Dont get it. :(:(:(

Thanks again for all your patience.

Thats pretty crazy.

The first thing that came to mind half-way through was:
Why didn't you/why don't you try a Low Level Format, and re-write all the sectors of the disk?

Try it, then Use ONLY the Win XP cd instead to make the Partitions.

I had that error with a 200GB hard drive before, and XP wouldn't install until i partitioned the drive first into something smaller. I think i made a partition 80GB or something. You could try that.

first of all: Whats your hdd brand?

If i know this i can direct you to where to download your manufacturer's hdd tool. (which does low level format)

Or

You could just google for "ultimate boot cd"
download
burn it (it comes in an *.iso file)
and boot with it.
choose the tool you need from the boot menu
and do the format

carbonsteel said:
How do u do a low-level format? and rewrite the sectors?

Go to your HD's manufacturers website. Then download their diagnostic utility. Preferably the Floppy Bootable verison. Then restart, and have it do its 1) Diagnostic on your system/HD to see if it returns errors. And 2) If it does, do its reccommended Fix, and if it still doesnt't work, boot it again, and it Should have an option to Low Level Format/ReWrite All Sectors.

Note: Doing that (Low Level Format) takes a long time. It has to rewrite all the 1's and 0's to the entire drive. So if you have a large HD its going to take a long time.

I had to do it with my Old 40GB IBM DEATHstar, and it solved the problem.

I heard that doing a low level format could void warranty on your harddrive...is this true?

carbonsteel said:
I heard that doing a low level format could void warranty on your harddrive...is this true?
bs.

low level format is not what it meant to be when the phrase was first made. A low level format (today...) is simply a program that writes zeros over every sector fo your harddrive.

But when it was first made, a low level format was something that could only be done by the manufacturer in one of their fabs... I dont really know what exactly did they do the harddrive, but im sure that it is different from writting zeros over it.

so, low level format wont void your warranty, you are not doing anything other that writting over your harddrive. Which is covered in your terms of use...

Back