BFG what are you thinking!!!

btf said:
What differences in temps and overclock did you get?

Stock BFG cooler + Vantect fan card: Idle 55C Load 80C
NV Silencer 5: Idle 49C Load 70C

*LOAD temps taken after 30min of rthdribl while still running @ 1280x1024 and a clock of 400/1100 (no bios mods) AS5 hasnt cured yet...

I'm going to reinstall the vantec cooler and see if it lowers temps or raises them..

max OC was around 435/1200 (but im only gonna be running @ ultra speeds)

EDIT: forgot to add, running with default bios (1.3v) as for my BIOS, the version is: 5.40.02.15.05

man you got luck with yours. you hardly had any therma paste.
unlike mine, lol mine looked like someone hacked a loogy on it.

v_lestat said:
lol mine looked like someone hacked a loogy on it.

Haha, too funny.

It's nice to see/hear another success story with the NV5.....I'm gonna be picking up a second one in the next little while, cus I went kinda mod-crazy with my first one and it ain't doin' so well. :p

One thing that I also found helped out the NV5 was a good lap job.....800-1000-1200-1500 did it wonders.....nice mirror finish once I was done, temps down 1-2C so can't complain. ;)

which swiftech waterblock was the other chap talking about,, or, aboot , tepending on where your from.

well gash darn it just tried playin far cry at 30 sec into it PUKE!! studder,, stop....... crash. rainbow colored screen.

and thats only at 425/1100
lowered it down to 400/1050 seems ok.

thats just crazy hot.
my damn 9800 XT did this to me but it was artifacts. couldnt overclock it but just a little oterwise it overheated.
man now im angered, especially if i got a bum card. GGRR

NEODARK said:
cornelious,

what were your temps with your NV5?

Best I've been able to do with it was 46C idle and 61C max load.....after 30 minutes of fullscreen rthdribl for load....and then closing it and letting it sit for another 30 for idle temps.

I'm gonna be looking at dropping both temps by another degree or two when i get my new Silencer and do a couple mods.....but that's about it.

hearing you guys talk and seeing your posts makes me want one but BLOODY PAYPAL IS FUBAR'D AND I CANT ORDER ONE!!!!!

v_lestat said:
hearing you guys talk and seeing your posts makes me want one but BLOODY PAYPAL IS FUBAR'D AND I CANT ORDER ONE!!!!!

It's not still "down" is it? That was a good few days ago that I noticed that......that's too bad, quite an inconvenience.

yeah its still down.
one of the guys in the open topic forum replied to my thread i started this morning about paypal he said he had heard it was a massive DDos attack. with aftershocks of dns problems.

so,,, im just stuck decision wise. water or air
ive got quite enough noise from this pc as it is, lol and any more. well,,, i tried to buy a swiftech mc something or another water block barbs and the pci clot fan but again no paypal no parts.

i can wait ,, i guess :(

v_lestat said:
well gash darn it just tried playin far cry at 30 sec into it PUKE!! studder,, stop....... crash. rainbow colored screen.

and thats only at 425/1100
lowered it down to 400/1050 seems ok.

thats just crazy hot.
my damn 9800 XT did this to me but it was artifacts. couldnt overclock it but just a little oterwise it overheated.
man now im angered, especially if i got a bum card. GGRR

So what were your temps? 400/1050 seems like a good overclock from 350/1000

60 idle and 70+ load i havent run rdhdriblhkhlfkhoi3uirhnacln lol whatever its called.
but yesterday i was at this clock and it was the highest i could go without having the sucker heat up and have the 3 second pause issue.

v_lestat said:
im still waiting for you to email me your bios. i want to try it and see how it does on my card.
[email protected]

Were you talking to me there or someone else? Sry, just trying to clear things up. :p

One more note about my temps (idle 46C, load 61C) is that those are my temps at 350/1000 1.4v.....idle and load go up a couple degrees pushing it to Ultra clocks.

v_lestat said:
im still waiting for you to email me your bios. i want to try it and see how it does on my card.
[email protected]

I just sent it to you.

Like I mentioned though make sure your card can handle 450/1200 as this is the default clocks on both 2d and 3d.

Edit: use "nvflash442 -p -u -2 4501200.rom" to flash.

cornelious0_0 said:
Were you talking to me there or someone else? Sry, just trying to clear things up. :p

One more note about my temps (idle 46C, load 61C) is that those are my temps at 350/1000 1.4v.....idle and load go up a couple degrees pushing it to Ultra clocks.

thanks, also what kind of mods did you perform to your NV5 if you dont mind me asking?

can you take pics?

thanks

NEODARK said:
thanks, also what kind of mods did you perform to your NV5 if you dont mind me asking?

can you take pics?

thanks

I have no cam so I can't take any pics.....but what I did was lap the NV5, and cut a hole in the pastic shroud over the heatsink so I could attach a 60mm fan to blow on the fins.....as it's just the right size (contact cement or plain crazy glue works great here). All I had laying around was an old whiney 60mm Evercool (not aluminum) fan off a Duron heatsink that I think only pushed about 20cfm or so. I then proceeded to cut into the Silencer even more to see if I could expose the heatsink and use my Vantec Fancard to cool it. Through my modding with the cooler I eventually did a few to many cuts, and rendered the cooler much more innefficient.

With the new Silencer I'm just gonna lap it, and cut the single square hole over the heatsink for the 60mm fan......and I'm getting a 27cfm aluminum 60mm fan this time around, so it'll have even more of an effect.

Those temperatures I reported earlier were during a later stage of the modding once the cooler had started to go downhill. Before any mods I was sitting with a 51C idle and a 68C max load.....when it was just the fan in the square hole i was at 45C idle and 58C load....a full 10C drop from lapping the cooler and adding the 60mm fan. :D

I encourage anyone with 5 free minutes and a dremel to give this shot.....just be carefull not to try and cut the Silencer to fast....that plastic starts to melt like a bitch at higher RPM's. :p

EDIT: What else I've seen done that should help core temps a fair bit is cutting off the memory "tabs" on the heatsink of the NV5, and cutting the plastic shroud and the heatsink so that there's room to install BGA copper ramsinks on the memory.....freeing up the Silencer to work 100% on core temps.....while still providing some decent cooling for the memory.

Here's a shot provided by the blokes at OCForums.....showing what it looks like with the ramsinks installed and the fan sitting partially inside the shroud. The 60mm aluminum fan is a fair bit larger then that rackmount 60mm fan he's using.....so I'm just gonna epoxy the fan to the heatsink....cus i wont have those "screw tabs" to wedge under the shroud.

I hope this gives some ppl some ideas....i'm definitely going to be doing this all over again when I get the new Silencer, the lapping and 60mm aluminum fan....along with the ramsinks.....should drop the temps enough so that I dont have to worry about any heat increases from switching to 1.5v.

Note: the above pic from OCForums is of an ATI Silencer in case you're wondering why the memory looks different.....same mods though.

btf said:
GT is 1.3v
Ultra is 1.4v
Ultra Extreme 1.5v

With 1.5v I can now get 450/1290. Not sure if many people have used 1.5v on a GT.
I couldn't even get the 1.5 volt bios to work stablely w/ my gt+nv silencer. For the first couple minutes it would be fine, then it would fail every the coolbit's test for every clock rate (300 - 430 mhz core all fail)

thanks man, thats awesome info, I might have to try the hole and fan thing, heck its only 30 bucks :)

NEODARK said:
thanks man, thats awesome info, I might have to try the hole and fan thing, heck its only 30 bucks :)

Yeah, it's all good 'cus I honestly don't feel bad about basically ruining my first Silencer.....because I got to learn and see first had how different mods to the cooler itself effected things, so I can actually tell people which are the most effective. I'm quite excited to see what kind of core temps I'll be able to push with the 27cfm fan blowing on the heatsink with the gaps around it ducted close, the heatsink lapped to a mirror finish (like mine is now) and the ramsink mod.....should be interesting.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the Silencer stuff done, but I'll be sure to have a thread posted up with the results when the time comes.

My Leadtek 6800 GT idled at 59 C and settled at a load temp of 71

After I replaced the stock crap with AS5, it idles at 51 and loads at 61

Leadtek's heatsink = niiice :rolleyes:

v_lestat said:
wow metal i hope that was a joke.

i forgot to take pics after i put on as 5 but believe me i used about as but as you see in the picture thats NOT on the gpu die. scoop all that out, and then spread it around the ram AND gpu thats abut all i ever use on my CPU and video card stuff.

maybe im taking "a thin layer" a little too far, but they took "covering the gpu die are" WAY too far.

Looks to me that there is a pretty nice even layer on all the chips and the core. It doesnt make a large difference if it mushes out the sides or anything as long as there is a nice thin layer there.

I think you are over reacting.

If i was to take off my BFG hs and fan would this void the warranty. And can i actualy damage it by cleaning the gpu/memory and adding as5... How easy is it to remove from the card?

I have this stuff at my families shop and was wondering if this stuff would be ideal to use to remove the paste on gpu/memory... its called Ambersil IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) its and electronic cleaner .. it evaporates.

Macca said:
If i was to take off my BFG hs and fan would this void the warranty. And can i actualy damage it by cleaning the gpu/memory and adding as5... How easy is it to remove from the card?

I have this stuff at my families shop and was wondering if this stuff would be ideal to use to remove the paste on gpu/memory... its called Ambersil IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) its and electronic cleaner .. it evaporates.

Removing the heatsink will void your warrantee, as would replacing the stock thermal compound. The thing is that there's no stickers or anything you have to break that indicate that you DID remove the cooler, so there's a little something to ease the tension. I know from experience that RMA departments VERY rarely take off the heatsinks to look for aftermarket compound, so even though the process will technically void your warrantee, it's quite unlikely that it'll play a negative role in anything down the road.

Some coolers that differ from the Nvidia reference design are attached slightly differently, but basically just flip the card over and unscrew any screws you see.....keep track of where they went in case some are different. If I were you and you're not 100% confident I'd check out some reviews of the card where the cooler WAS taken off so you can see what you're "up against" before you get going.

The alcohol should work fine, but it's actually quite over-rated. It does make the job MUCH easier, but I've never used anything other then my finger covered in kleanex to take it off. I just apply a moderate amount of preasure and wipe/rub it off with the tissue and grab a dry towel to get it lookin' like new.....work's every time.....CPU, GPU, whatever.

Have fun operating on your card, and let us know if you've got anymore questions.

cornelious0_0 said:
Removing the heatsink will void your warrantee, as would replacing the stock thermal compound. The thing is that there's no stickers or anything you have to break that indicate that you DID remove the cooler, so there's a little something to ease the tension. I know from experience that RMA departments VERY rarely take off the heatsinks to look for aftermarket compound, so even though the process will technically void your warrantee, it's quite unlikely that it'll play a negative role in anything down the road.

Some coolers that differ from the Nvidia reference design are attached slightly differently, but basically just flip the card over and unscrew any screws you see.....keep track of where they went in case some are different. If I were you and you're not 100% confident I'd check out some reviews of the card where the cooler WAS taken off so you can see what you're "up against" before you get going.

The alcohol should work fine, but it's actually quite over-rated. It does make the job MUCH easier, but I've never used anything other then my finger covered in kleanex to take it off. I just apply a moderate amount of preasure and wipe/rub it off with the tissue and grab a dry towel to get it lookin' like new.....work's every time.....CPU, GPU, whatever.

Have fun operating on your card, and let us know if you've got anymore questions.
Thanks mate ... i'm able to use this stuff so may aswell use it then hehe..my card can idle at 60-65 sometimes and i havent seen load im scared to look so i think some as5 is needed. ill post pics soon of it all :p

Macca said:
Thanks mate ... i'm able to use this stuff so may aswell use it then hehe..my card can idle at 60-65 sometimes and i havent seen load im scared to look so i think some as5 is needed. ill post pics soon of it all :p

If you want to see your load temps here's what to do:

1) Download and run rthdribl
2) Leave rthdribl running in a window, but stretch it out so it's taking up almost the entire screen
3) Open your Forceware control panel and switch the the "Temperature Settings" tab
4) Let your computer sit in this state (with rthdribl running) for 30 minutes and record your temperature.....that's your max load temp.
5) Close rthdribl and let your computer sit idle for another 30 minutes.....thats your idle temperature.

Note: Make sure you disable AA/AF in your driver options before running rthdribl.....unless you really wanna see it chug.

Come back with your temperature results before doing any "in depth" work on the card.

v_lestat said:
wow metal i hope that was a joke.

i forgot to take pics after i put on as 5 but believe me i used about as but as you see in the picture thats NOT on the gpu die. scoop all that out, and then spread it around the ram AND gpu thats abut all i ever use on my CPU and video card stuff.

maybe im taking "a thin layer" a little too far, but they took "covering the gpu die are" WAY too far.
Please explain why 'too much' is a Bad Thing.

rayra said:
Please explain why 'too much' is a Bad Thing.

That depends what kind of "too much" you're talking about. If there is still a regular, paper-thin later on the GPU itself then the overflow isn't really much of a concern. Thermal compound is meant to fill small gaps between a CPU/GPU/whatever and its heatsink, due to the fact that neither surface is perfectly flat. Applying too much compound will not only fill those gaps, but create a layer between the two surfaces that actually acts as a barrier for the heat to cross.....which will in turn RAISE your temperatures.

So a you can see, applying the correct amount of thermal compound to a cpu/gpu/or memory will aid in the transfer of heat from the source to the heatsink.....but if too much compound is applied it actually starts to take longer for the heat to get from the source to the heatsink.....and temperatures are negatively effected.

"too much" might not be as effective as a good layer evenly spread.. also "too much" might cause the paste to get all over the place when you put the HSF on...

nothing is really that good in excess :)

BTW: hey MACCA, you from AUSFX bro?

NEODARK said:
also "too much" might cause the paste to get all over the place when you put the HSF on...

Yeah, which means more work for you later when you gotta clean it all up. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
5) Close rthdribl and let your computer sit idle for another 30 minutes.....thats your idle temperature.

You will actually have 2 idle temps. An idle from load temp and an idle from boot temp. They are almost never the same. Usually apart by 2 or 3 degrees.

The better the cooler... the closer these two temperatures will be.

TheGamerZ said:
You will actually have 2 idle temps. An idle from load temp and an idle from boot temp. They are almost never the same. Usually apart by 2 or 3 degrees.

The better the cooler... the closer these two temperatures will be.

True.....but I never usually record my boot idle temp.....cus my room gets pretty fricken cold and it throws the results off a bit compared to if the card warms up first in some games and then sits for a half hour.

So I decided to remove my heatsink and apply as5 to my 6800 ultra.

I removed the 1st part of the sink which cools only the ram. I had those little sticky pads that peel off rather easily.

I removed the heatsink off the gpu and I barely had any thermal compound on there. I could clearly read the logo Nvidia! WTF... I took some pics but they came out rather bad.

Anyhow I apply AS5 on gpu and ram and now my idle temps are 47C down from 56C and more importantly my max temp during 3dmark05 is now 67C! Down from 81C...

Thats almost 9C idle and 15C load decrease... not bad. And this is with 1.5v.

I'll check to see if overclocks are higher... I'm sure they will be.

damn man very nice,,
i think maybe i should apply some more compound ,, i did go pretty light, but it was an even coat. hhmm

whats your ambient temps read ?

wow, considering I've been able to get my load temps down to 59C @ 1.4v I'm kinda curious now to see if I can pull off 1.5v on my GT with any amount of success. If it weren't for the fact that I had to sit here waiting for this ftp xfer to finish I'd go do it right now.....but alas. :(

Guys, I just came across something VERY interesting over at Xtremesystems. It seems that throwing 1.5v at these GT's can be suicide. Apparently the GT's and Ultra's have different mosfet counts between them.....and its not safe to try and push that much voltage through a GT. What I've been hearing around XS is that most GT's at 1.4v tend to max out at around 450-460 core anyways....and that's where I am with my Silencer. I'm begining to think that watercooling this thing is going to be completely pointless.....as I'm going to be incapable of raising the voltage to take advantage of the lower temps in the process.

Ultra's are a different story though, they can take the 1.5v from the BIOS mod....and with some nice water cooling I've seen some ppl 'round here get damn close to 500MHz on the core @ 1.5v GPU.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble, but I thought I should share what I've recently discovered to prevent anyone from "wasting" the cash on an extravagent cooling setup for their GT to try and clear 450-460MHz on their core like I was going to be doing.

cornelious0_0 said:
If you want to see your load temps here's what to do:

1) Download and run rthdribl
2) Leave rthdribl running in a window, but stretch it out so it's taking up almost the entire screen
3) Open your Forceware control panel and switch the the "Temperature Settings" tab
4) Let your computer sit in this state (with rthdribl running) for 30 minutes and record your temperature.....that's your max load temp.

Note: Make sure you disable AA/AF in your driver options before running rthdribl.....unless you really wanna see it chug.

Come back with your temperature results before doing any "in depth" work on the card.
Done that and my results are as follows:

idle = 60 degrees
load = 88 degrees!!!!

cornelius thank you for the update, cuz i was about ready to spend 50 bucks on a mcw50 and adapter. and even though thats still not a bad thing, its not going to increase my clock rates.

i still wish AC would make a model with a faster fan that moved more air cuz frankly it dont move enough, and it would be cooler if it moved more air. may not increase clock rates but it would run cooler which aloows for a better efficiency rate of the gpu.
i would gladly replace the fan but finding a "scoop" fan is becoming troublesome.

man,, what to do.

ok ok. Im very new to overclocking (what am i doing here u ask) But ive got a MESH dekstop turning up on Monday with a 6800GT in it. It twas supposed to be an ultra but they were outta stock and i was impatient and went for a load of extra goodies instead. Aneeeeehow. I dont have a water-cooling set up ,just the regular standard fans, but i wanna OC the thing. Ive looked at all the advice on this site but theres so much its hard to know which one to take. Someone guide me through this, I just want some extra power/speed. Lamens terms please. Which drivers should I get or BIOS files? Help :rolleyes:

Back