BFG vs Leadtek 6800 GTs

Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
3
I picked up the BFG 6800 GT from the local Bestbuy store ($399). I thought that the "new" dual fan version would be better, but it looks like that is not the case. It looks nice, but the fans are fairly loud and it actually vibrates the case under full load. I also thought I was getting a copy of Doom3 for free, but there is NO Doom 3 in the GTs and it looks like BFG has pulled the Doom 3 offer completely.

I also picked up the Leadtek A400 6800 GT from the local Fry's ($449). The Nvidia site still shows the Free Doom 3 with Leadtek GT (but it is not in the box I have). The Leadtek card is MUCH quieter and the heat sink is about 3x the size.

I spent some time playing with both cards:

BFG seemed to top out at about 395 Mhz GPU, it would "fail" the test in Coolbits at clocks over that. Ran fine at 395 and I didn't notice any artifacts. I didn’t take much time to slowly bump the BFG but it fail at: 400/1100, 397/1100,400/1000 and then finally worked at 395/1000 and 395/1100

Max temp I saw on the BFG was 83c and that seems very hot. I wasn't running it in a window, so it even had some cooldown time while the game closed.

Leadtek has been running for a week at 415 Mhz and I just bumped it to 420 / 1.15 The "Auto" test said the max it would run is 421. At 415 I played City of Heroes and Doom3 and didn't see any problems.

I ran Doom3 demo loops in a window and the Max the Leadtek went was 77c @415 Mhz.

Here is a quick little chart of some temps I recorded:

BFG 6800 GT running City of Heroes for about 90 minutes:

GPU (Nvidia Panel) 83c Even with the game exit time
Ambient (Nvidia Panel) 63c w/ game exit time
CPU 54c w/ game exit time
Mobo 48c w/ game exit time

Leadtek 6800 GT running Doom3 in a window 420 Mhz/ 1.15 Ghz

GPU (Nvidia Panel) 75c
Ambient (Nvidia Panel) 60c
CPU 53c
Mobo 59c

Does anyone know a place to get the Leadtek or any other 6800 at wholesale? I have a Resale License for IL. The cheapest I can find the Leadtek on the net is $388.
 
edit: apparently i can't read. :) so noise was low on the leadtek card eh? no hissing because of the fan filter being on or anything like that?
 
I paid $397 for my leadtek after shipping from www.gameve.com
Mine did not come with doom3 either, but came with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.
 
deadpool, how would you rate the noise of your leadtek card? have you overclocked it at all?

i've got this gainward 6800gt with dual fan config, and it's soooooo loud. i don't normally mind the sounds of loud pc components, but this thing makes a really shrill? noise when the fans spin up, and it annoys me to death. i'm thinking about either returning it and buying a card with a quieter solution (which doesn't seem to exist according to all the posts i read on this forum :)), or just void my warranty with a NV5 and pray the card never breaks. :eek:
 
I wouldn't trust the coolbits test too much. My 6800 will pass the test up to 490/1250 but will produce artifacts past 460mhz.
 
I just installed the Zalman and DAMN that thing is quite. I don't have any kind of meter but I would say that

Just surfing the web:

Power Supply = HDD = Zalman = Leadtek 6800GT They all sound different, but roughly the same noise level. Even turing the Z up all the way doesn't make it much louder.

During the windows boot the HDD is the loudest thing in the case by far.

I'll still need to run some games, bu so far I an VERY happy with the Zalman and the Leadtek
 
Im sporting a leadtek 6800 GT, clocked to ultra speeds 401/1100. Idle at 53C, and about in the high sixty's after awhile playing. Playing doom3 for a few hours will probably bring it to 75 or so like yours.
 
i havent tried ocing the card much yet, letting it "break in" for a bit first.
but the card is very quiet. i can not hear it over my other fans.
 
i have 44 leadtek cards for sale for 385.00 + 10.00 shipping. (allocated 5 for this morning). I've got 5 in Glendale, IL, btw.

these are the GTs. I'll put a few on hold for today.

cheers,

dave
 
dave_graham said:
i have 44 leadtek cards for sale for 385.00 + 10.00 shipping. (allocated 5 for this morning). I've got 5 in Glendale, IL, btw.

these are the GTs. I'll put a few on hold for today.

cheers,

dave

What store?? Is this online??
 
YGPM.

for everyone else, i do direct sales only. feel free to pm, email, or contact via IM protocols to discuss. You can see my other sale item by doing a search for "L2335" and getting into that huge ass thread. :)

cheers,

dave
 
I managed to get 410/1100 with my BFG 6800GT. Haven't tried higher.
 
Couple Questions Dave:

Tax since I live in Chicago? Have you seen any of the Leadteks with the Doom3 Bundle (it still listed on the Nvidia site as "included in the box)?

The lowest I can find it on the web is $384 with no tax and $4 shipping

Thanks
Nightmare
 
Nightmare999 said:
Couple Questions Dave:

Tax since I live in Chicago? Have you seen any of the Leadteks with the Doom3 Bundle (it still listed on the Nvidia site as "included in the box)?

The lowest I can find it on the web is $384 with no tax and $4 shipping

Thanks
Nightmare

no tax in C-town...I'll have to confirm with Wolf-R1 as he received the Leadtek card from me at the end of last week.

I can do 385.00 + 5 shipping.

cheers,

dave
 
Back
Top