BFG RMA process?

Bohica69

Gawd
Well, my BFG 6800GT which I've had for almost 4 years died - it's on the truck to BFG for an RMA as I type this - one question I have is how long does the RMA process take once they have the card? Do they have good one's in inventory that they just ship out, or do they test, determine what the problem is, fix and return the same card?

I'm trying to decide if I should plunk down the cash and get another AGP vid card, or just wait patiently - If it's only going to be out two or three weeks, then I won't bother, other wise I might just try and pickup a used AGP 7 series card to tide me over. I understand the 7600 cards are slower than the 6800 gt, is this correct?

I'm probably going to build a new system from the ground up in like Feb (or maybe sooner) so I'm loathe to spend a bunch of money, knowing that this machine is going to become a secondary box.

It shouldn't take more than a week or two, but they will probably keep you updated as well.

I'd say if you don't have on-board or a cheapo card so you can at least use the computer, pick up something for under $30 so you can use the computer while waiting.

Also, BFG will probably upgrade you to a 7 series card if they don't have any 6800gt's in stock.

Also to compare a 7600gt with the 6800gt:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=202&card2=435

They generally dont try to fix these things unless its obvious.
So you'll get something else AGP back.
It could be a brand new 6800GT, it could be rebuilt, or if you hit the jackpot it could be a brand new 7 series card
It will take a few days to make sure the card is dead, then you'll be a fixed up, probably by next week.:D

Thanks that's the information I was needing - I have onboard video, so the comp is working, but I can't game on it.. An upgrade to a 7800 - 7900 :D would be nice.. Just as long as it's not a 7300 :mad:

Thanks.

It probably takes longer for older cards for which they don't have a lot of spares on hand but I RMA'd a brand new 8800GT and they shipped a replacement within 24 hours of its arrival at their warehouse. pretty darn quick.

However I wish they had an advanced replacement option like EVGA (where you pay $10-20 to have a card shipped first and that includes the shipping fees both ways and a box to send the faulty card back in). due to ground shipping and the weekend it will have taken exactly 1 week from shipment to receipt of replacement when it comes in tomorrow.

I RMA'd a 5900 to them last year, got a 6600 back a couple of weeks later.

Ditto :), that 6600gt is now sitting in my old computer hehe.

Since you have onboard, don't bother spending any money on a new card, you should have a refurbed one coming your way soon :)

you could probaluy call them tell them you would be willing to take a pci-express card and u may get oen if u wanna upgrade your board.

they have alwasy been laid back when i delt with them may work.

I went through that exact process about a year ago - RMA'd a 6800GT OC.

The first time, they sent me back another 6800GT OC pretty much immediately. The DVI port on the card was borked, though... analog VGA and the card itself worked fine. I called them again, they had the card shipped back and sat on it another day or two - 'for testing,' I was told. Then I got a 7800GS back, which worked great. The turnaround time was roughly a week each time.

Agreed that their customer service people were laid-back, communicative and generally pretty awesome. I almost felt like just sitting on the phone and talking about video games or something.

I let my friend use my 6800GT for awhile and some how it broke (or he broke it) and he sent it in for me and they returned a 7800 about a week later I think. I didn't even know it happened till he gave it back to me and it was a new card.

Back