BFG 8800GTS $279 AR ($30) + Ship Newegg

anyone have any thoughts on this. worth it?
really been looking for a new card and the 8800GT's haven't really moved.

Alot of [H]'s think the BFG's or EVGA's are the way to go, apparently they have really good support, of course you get the EVGA stepup program if you go with them and think you may want to upgrade in 90? days. :rolleyes: Thats never a reality for me so I dont care.

Newegg is top notch of course.

As far card itself goes, it kicks ass, I have the PNY version cause it was the price I wanted to pay at the time. Same deal as this but I didnt pay tax or shipping. If you are in the market, and dont want a really loud/hot card get this over the GT. By the time you get the GT and a decent cooler it will have cost the same and you will have a slightly lesser card. The GTS has more shaders or something, so there are situations which it will be a clear winner.

Basically you need to decide if you want a loud and hot system, or a quiet and cool system.

Once you make that decision, then you will know what card to buy.

Alot of [H]'s think the BFG's or EVGA's are the way to go, apparently they have really good support, of course you get the EVGA stepup program if you go with them and think you may want to upgrade in 90? days. :rolleyes: Thats never a reality for me so I dont care.

Newegg is top notch of course.

As far card itself goes, it kicks ass, I have the PNY version cause it was the price I wanted to pay at the time. Same deal as this but I didnt pay tax or shipping. If you are in the market, and dont want a really loud/hot card get this over the GT. By the time you get the GT and a decent cooler it will have cost the same and you will have a slightly lesser card. The GTS has more shaders or something, so there are situations which it will be a clear winner.

if you dont mind, how much did you pay for the pny?

It was 299 with a $20 MIR and free shipping.

They delayed my order and I missed the window to get my rebate in the mail, so I got $20 refunded, which technically is better as it took much less time.

so if you want quiet and cool get the GTS?
Fro a SFF build im guessin that would be the better choice

I'd be all over this, except my 640 MB GTS is already so fast, there's not much point, might as well wait for a newer generation.

so if you want quiet and cool get the GTS?
Fro a SFF build im guessin that would be the better choice

The card itself is hotter, but it vents better, so the overall case temp should be lower.

If you are on the fence, you should read the 8800GT thread, theres some good arguments for the GT being the better choice. At the time I bought my card, the GT would have cost more than the GTS by the time I bought an aftermarket cooler.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031962850&posted=1#post1031962850

I'd be all over this, except my 640 MB GTS is already so fast, there's not much point, might as well wait for a newer generation.

That's where I'm stuck. I'd want the GTS' cooler, but I've already got a good setup with my 640 GTS, so I really can't justify losing much money on the lateral upgrade. I really really want one of these anyway, though.

Price has fallen pretty good on these cards. It was only a month ago I got it from BFG for $311 shipped. Already its $25 cheaper after rebate. Great card.

Also, they seem to overclock much better than the GT's. I have a GT that will only 660 core stable and that's with water cooling. :(

. I have a GT that will only 660 core stable and that's with water cooling. :(

You're kidding me. My BFG 8800GT OC overclocks from 660 to 730mhz core on stock air cooling and a little kick in the fan power.

You got a bunk card.

yea well it beez that way sometimes. the gt overclocks dont scale very well, anyway. your 10% overclock will only give you maybe a 2% bump in performance.

You got to be shitting me, a lot of us [H] just paid $310 like a month ago for this thing

Wonder how much BFG and Kyle made hrmmm

I almost bit on this about an hour ago. I just decided to wait a bit longer and see what comes out in the next couple of months. My x1900xt is doin fine, although I really want to max out CoD 4 to get the most out of it-- haven't been this hooked on a mp game since, well, CoD 2 :cool:

whats the chances of me getting $10 back if i ordered this last Thursday and email them?

kinda feel like i got fucked after waiting for so long for prices to come down. if i had waited 5 days i would have saved....
and now that all the 8800GT's are starting to really drop in price... this sucks :(

not likely
thats kinda the game we play, it does suck
theres GT for 199 after rebate right now, dont think I can argue for the GTS anymore at that price point, especially that one with the circular heatpipe cooler

i totally lost my ass on my x1900xtx, but thats the tech game

Back