BFG 7800GT Bad out the Box.....

shaggymcp

Gawd
Well First off I started with a EVGA 7800 GT OC and it was bad, it had blue flashing textures everywhere, ( I had a thread about this in here some where if you wanna search for it, it had pics of problem ) I called EVGA and they was going to send me a refurb, so instead, I sent it back to www.newegg.com and got a BFG 7800GT, and now this card is bad out the box as well.....

I has White artifacts, like blocks going up and down the screen. I called BFG tech and the guy had me download a prog called Everest ( I think, I am on my bros comp right now and can't find out ) and test my 12V rail on my Power supply and it was fine. I gone though all trouble shooting steps already so I know its not my comp, its just bad cards :( I sent mine off today, so I will see what happens when I get my RMA back in about 1 week.

I am starting to think that Nvidia had a really large batch of these cards, that got released, and they have just not been cycled though yet. Its kind of funny cause already on www.newegg.com there is someone else that just got it and they had the exact same prob as me bad out the box. This sux cause now my comp has been down for more than 5 weeks now due to RMA's and refunds, and it feels like by the time I get a working card, This tech will be out of date :( & its making me so mad, cause this is my Free month of World Of Warcraft going down the drain, cause I can't even play it. But the good part is BFG customer support was REALLY good, and I am getting a NEW card, not a Refurb :D

Well I will post again, once I get the new card. Wish me luck.

You've tried a known working card in the same slot, right? Two cars in a row with almost the same problem is unlikely.

thewhiteguy said:
You've tried a known working card in the same slot, right? Two cars in a row with almost the same problem is unlikely.

Both card did not have the same type of problem, they were both Artifacts, but Totaly diffrent type, If it would have been the exact same thing as the EVGA card (Random Blue Falshing textures) then Yea I would have said its prob my system, but the BFG is White Blocks going up and down, and totaly locks up the system, where as the EVGA even though I had blue flashing textures, if I MASSIVLY underclocked the card it ran fine with no issues, The EVGA just was not able to run at the speeds they advertised, the BFG just don't work period, even after underclocking it it would take maybe a min more but it would still freeze. I have not tried another card, becuase I don't own another PCI Express card, and there is no way of me getting a hold of another one. :(

thewhiteguy said:

QFT

i had issues with a 6800gt, it's replacement, and a ti4200 i had laying around all because even though my powersupply 12v rail was good enough - it was failing. replacing the entire PS fixed the problem for me - if you find yourself stumped and have a chance to sub in a different power supply i'd give it a shot.

fakeian said:
i had issues with a 6800gt, it's replacement, and a ti4200 i had laying around all because even though my powersupply 12v rail was good enough - it was failing. replacing the entire PS fixed the problem for me - if you find yourself stumped and have a chance to sub in a different power supply i'd give it a shot.

yeah, your psu plays a big role in artifacting to. i would say it is your psu as like somone said, two cards having the same problem is unlikely. buy a new psu.

Why not take it to a retail store that carries that model and do a no receipt exchange? Most places will allow you three of those per year, and after the first exchange you have a recpeit if its defective again =)

My power supply was already tested, and is working fine, had other AGP card on it as well with no problems. The card has already been sent back to BFG for a RMA, so I am gonna wait and see what happens.

shaggymcp said:
My power supply was already tested, and is working fine, had other AGP card on it as well with no problems. The card has already been sent back to BFG for a RMA, so I am gonna wait and see what happens.

How'd you fit an AGP card in a PCI-E slot ;) ?

thewhiteguy said:

Agreed. Two bad cards from two different manufactures is almost unheard of, or you've just got the worst luck out of anyone I know.

I'd say there might be a connection issue with the pins in the slot on your motherboard. That might be the problem. Lets hope not though, nothing wrose then motherboard problems. I'd say try another working card. If you can get your hands on a known good card then I'd say try it. If not and you get a 3rd bad card then it's for sure the motherboard.

HBpsy said:
How'd you fit an AGP card in a PCI-E slot ;) ?

I think he means he had an APG card that he used in combination with the same PSU he is using. If he doesn't mean that then yeah, how the hell did you get those to work?

Well I got my second card from BFG now, and guess what......

IT RUNS FLAWLESS ;) So yea I had bad luck with 2 bad cards in a row from 2 diff companys... so call me unlucky. :( and by the way BFG ROCKS, they sent me a BRAND NEW card, and it was Overnighted to me :eek: thats what I call service, and as far as I am concerned EVGA can learn somthing from BFG, cause BFG knows how to take care of its customers.

And for all that said it was my system haha :D

Back