• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

BFG 6800U OC problem or not?

b1ojuu32

n00b
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
2
Hello everyone,
I am new to the HardOCP forum but I think that it's the best place to find solutions to some of the problems I have here with my new video card, I purchased a BFG 6800Ultra OC online not even a month ago and to say frankly I don't even have a slight problem with it visually talking.

The problems are more subtile.... As everyone expects, it runs smoothly with Farcry at 1280x1024 in High Res, etc.... but here are the questions I can't answer..... after looking around to some benchmark scores, either 3dMark, Aquamark, and many others, I noticed that my results are more than disapointing, compared to similar rigs as mine...
As an example I've ran 3dMark 03 with factory settings for the core and the memory, ran the test in 1024x768 and no AA and got a result of 9338, then I tried 3dMark 2001SE to end up with a score of 16177 :mad: and don't bother asking about 3dMark 2005, I had 1905 as a final score. So I've made more researches and ended up running Sisoft Sandra 2004 to get an idea, the results are what someone expects but something caught my attention, Sandra could not verify at what Data Rate my video card is working, so I thought that is was running only at AGP 4x and not 8x as supposed.. I went right away to Nvidia Display Properties to check things out a bit and what a surprise, I saw that nvidia drivers (61,77 and the beta 66,72) shows that my card is not supported as an AGP but rather an PCI :confused: so I decided to check something up, I downloaded RivaTuner to see if I could not Overclock my video Card to agp 8x but unfortunately it's locked so I can't change nothing.... Is there something I can do to change that or am I stuck with that until something comes up?????And for those who thought about asking, I have DX9.0c installed with all the latest drivers/bios updates available...


Here is my rig:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2c
1GB PC3200
BFG 6800 Ultra OC at 425/1100
S.B. Audigy 2
W.D 7200rpm 120GB S-ATA
Plextor 52x32x52A Premium CD-RW
Pioneer A04 DVD-RW
Thermaltake Xaser 5 V700D Blue
Antec TruePower 480w
Proview LCD 17" @ 70hz
 
Check your comps Bios settings. I haven't used your particular Asus mobo but most Bios' have an AGP setting in the Bios. Can set it to 8x or 4x AGP, and even a PCI option. Should be able to switch it right back to 8x AGP if that is the problem. Switch it to 8x and you should be good to go.
 
If you set it to 8x in the BIOS and it still says 4x, be sure you installed the AGP driver for your chipset.

Nice rig. And don't worry about other people's scores in benchmarks. Some of those numbers are only available in fantasy land. And if they are real, the guys getting those scores spend all their waking hours trying to keep their rigs running long enough to finish a benchmark before blue screening. More power to them. I've got better things to do with my time. Well, maybe not. I'm writing this right now... ;)
 
Well thank you very much everybody for the solutions... After trying some of the stuff you Guys or Galls told me to do, I updated the BIOS for my Asus MB, unfortunately I don't have access to AGP mode in it so I went back to Windows XP and used Driver Cleaner 3 to clean all the drivers Nvidia had on my HD. Rebooted Windows, installed Beta Drivers 66.72 and "TADA", my BFG 6800 Ultra OC is now oficially an AGP working in 8x... I reruned the 3dMark tests and now I am satisfied of the results: here they are:

3dMark 2001: 18823 points*
3dMark 2003: 12195 points*
3dMark 2005: 5076 points*
Aquamark3: 61706 points*
*remember that these are stock speeds and no overclock was done on my video card so far...

A big thank you go to you guys and hope to see you soon :D
 
Back
Top