BFG 6800GT Crappy OC?

BIGG_RAY

Weaksauce
Well the coolbits auto detects at like 379/1002.....and that is real *****.....I can get it upto 386/1003 but then it crashes in doom3 after an hour or so of play....Will the volt mod listed here get my GT upto Ultra speeds? Any thoughts? Did i just get a dud?

EDIT: I have the dual fan cooler version

Well, I'd say first stop using the Autooverclock feature. It's way too conservative. Second what are your video card temps?

Since overclocking isn't guaranteed it's possible you just have a card that can't OC worth a crap. But that's unlikely with the 6800GT's. They usually do OC quite well.

im using the manual setting in the coolbits...once i hit 386/1003 the cool bits tells me ive failed....so then i back it off and everything runs fine...it idles in the low 50C and has never gone above 60C under load (source/doom3/farcry) and thos are very demanding games...i think i may try my hand with that volt mod

it could be that my PSU cannot handle the card....380 psu that comes with a sonata...its labeled a "true power" but its not exactly that...plus i have a mobile @ 2880 runnin in my comp with a sata hd and 2 opticals....so maybe my pus is bottoming out with this new card

I would try the BIOS upgrade. I had the exact same problem with my BFG6800GT. I could not run stable or artifact free above 378/1000. I added some AS3 to the HSF and tightened it down real well. Ugraded to 1.4v bios found on the thread in this forum. Just like magic my new autodetect was 418 / 1180. I've been running cool and stable with factory HSF @ 410/1100 for almost 6 weeks. I also thought I got a dud, but all it needed was just a little more juice to unleash the beast. Good luck with yours. By the way, mine was bought at best buy and is the newer dual fan version.

Make sure you are measuring peak temps right. If you play a 3D game, then close the game, then open the temp monitor thing, you can lose 10C off your real peak temps. Best bet is to download and run RTHDRIBL and run it in a window, crank the settings up so it only gets 20-30 FPS, then let it run an hour with the temp monitor open so you can see the peak temp while it is being stressed. The odds that your "real" peak temp is 60C with a BFG cooler hover somewhere around zero, unless your PC is in a refrigerated room.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

i got my 6800GT from best buy also....and yes the temps at load are around 75C

i did the volt mod upto 1.4 aswell. Did it last nite. Temps sit around 75 under heavy load. And my auto detect has gone thru the roof. But am reading alot of horror stories about GT's dying after 2-3 months. I also have the 2 fan copper HSF with heatpipe BFG. Might invest in some AS5 to get temps down a little bit. Has anyone here had a card die from volt modding?

Increasing the voltage is safe as long as you cool down the card appropriately. My card has been flashed to an Ultra since July of 2004 and it's been fed 1.4 V for all 3 modes of GPU operation. To cool it down, I installed a waterblock and no problems so far.

Back