• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

bfg 6800 ultra fan problem help?

Xenozx

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
2,127
OK heres the deal. I have a BFG 6800 ultra. I used to be able to clock the card to 472/1200 without a problem. Ran perfect no artifacts in any game what so ever. anyway Now i seem to have trouble running the core above 450. It does it fine, but i notice some lines start to appear in certain games and im a little upset. I decided to do some aranging of my power cables. the wierd thing ive noticed is when my computer starts up i believe the fan on the Nvidia card is really loud and spinning pretty fast, and as soon as it boots into windows it seems to quiet down. The sucky part is that When i load up a game the fan speed never changes. I thought the 6800 series had a fan that when you started a 3d game was suppose to kick it up a notch? if so what happend? how can i get that fan to stay full speed all the time or while im in a game? any idea's here?


the other wierd thing is now i can pull a stable overclock of 452/1300 mem. yes that is a 3 in the mem.

if i move the core any higher i start to get the lines reguardless. even if i drop the mem back down to 1150 or something if i even move the core a couple mhz it starts the lines again. now if i drop it down to 1.1 i can usually get close to 465 with very minor artifacts. anything higher and it wont pass the test with the coolbits hack. My board idles around 49 c. any idea's here?
 
The fan is supposed to speed up initially, then slow down when Windows loads, but it doesn't really adjust going from 2D to 3D.

Perhaps you changed drivers recently? I've had OCs be tamed down by certain drivers, while other drivers allow slightly higher OCs. With the case side off and the computer running a game, physically check that both fans are rotating. If so, then try OCing higher with the case side off, maybe even put a fan blowing in. If you can get the higher OCs, then you know something else is causing a heat issue since previously when you had the great high OCs.

Those were some amazing OCs you had btw. I've never seen that high with other brand cards with stock cooling.
 
i did upgrade to the beta 66.00 drivers. they are really the only change i have done. I also swapped out powersupplies for a new one of the same brand and wattage. I guess ill just have to live with it for the time being. maybe see when the next beta drivers get released if it fixes my problem.

You would think if the nivida card had 2 fan speeds one for start up and one for in windows it would only make sense to turn it up when playing a game. This would give some extra heat disipation and would probably help with overclocks. kinda strange that they dont.
 
I'll bet it's your PS. I've experienced OCs usually change when a PS is swapped, even the PSs being the same brand and model. There's just enough of a variance in PSs to possibly affect the power fed to the video card. And it does not relate to higher price of a PS = higher OC. It's just luck of the draw.

I doubt it's the 66.00 drivers affecting your OC, as those drivers didn't alter my max OC.
 
Back
Top