• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BFG 6800 OC - Slow 2D ?

Synchro

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
498
I just picked up one of the BFG 6800 OC cards on sale @ BB with the free games etc. Pretty nice overall - fast 3D like I expected.

I spend a lot of time in windows, chat rooms, forums :) and like to have fast 2D as well. I've read about the driver tweaking NV and ATI have done to boost 3D marks and so on so I have come not to trust a lot of 3D benchmarks....

2D benchmarks, on the other hand, should be fairly standard right?

Long story short, I fired up Passmarks Performance Test 5 and tested my setup against other systems etc. I even ran my system with a few different video cards testing 2D performance.... here were the results I ended up with:

I had a Parhelia and a 9500 Pro - both were nearly equal in 2D performance, the 9500 Pro was slightly slower. My new 6800 was slower than both of these cards in 2D tests, and when compared to a 9700 Pro it got beat out by a huge margin (the ATI 9700 Pro was 3X faster.)

The 3D scores of the 6800 OC reflected huge gains compared to these other cards - as expected.

I called BFG and they had no clue other than it could be an issue with the board being out of spec with AGP standards or an old BIOS. ASUS denied any issues with AGP, and verified I'm running the latest BIOS... Latest NV drivers as well.

Are these figures accurate? Does this card just kick ass in the 3D arena and become a serious slacker in the 2D arena?

I'll be grabbing an ATI 8500 soon to run more tests... I read that this was one of the last, fast, 2D cards around...

Any feedback is appreciated.
 
there is no reason 6800nu would be slower than 9500/9700 series on 2d.. 2d clock speeds on 6800nu is much faster than 9500/9700. n even tnt2 has fast 2d speed.
 
Chaballaman said:
even tnt2 has fast 2d speed.

No kidding dude, just what I was gonna say.....

Stop worrying about this and start enjoying the card......geez. :rolleyes: ;)
 
Chaballaman said:
there is no reason 6800nu would be slower than 9500/9700 series on 2d.. 2d clock speeds on 6800nu is much faster than 9500/9700. n even tnt2 has fast 2d speed.

Exactly!

So why is this card being a dog and getting smoked by a 9700 Pro?
 
Synchro said:
Exactly!

So why is this card being a dog and getting smoked by a 9700 Pro?

Well i know this isnt the answer to your question and it might sound kind of ignorant but.......why not just forget about it dude? Do you have any idea how FEW people I ever hear talking about 2D benchmarks and comparisons? Nothing today is to the point where it's noticeably slower at 2D while you're using the computer.....and seeing as we're not talking about low FPS in Unreal2k4 or something I think you're fine to just let it go.....and enjoy your card.

I'm not ignorant, but looking at it realistically this just isnt something that should be worrying you this much.....live it up dude, you've got one hell of a video card.
 
I can appreciate teh fact that fast 2D doesn't make a large difference to a lot of people. I guess running on dual 19" inch monitors at high res, with a ton of windows open all the time pushes it on you...

I'm thinking there may be nothing I can do other than swap out cards if it's that big of a deal.

I just wanted to know if others were seeing the same thing I was running into - ?
 
Synchro said:
I can appreciate teh fact that fast 2D doesn't make a large difference to a lot of people. I guess running on dual 19" inch monitors at high res, with a ton of windows open all the time pushes it on you...

I'm thinking there may be nothing I can do other than swap out cards if it's that big of a deal.

I just wanted to know if others were seeing the same thing I was running into - ?

Again, I've never heard of it happening b4...but then again, not that many ppl (even ppl running dual lcd's like you) ever bring it up or look into it, because you usually jsut can't tell.

Whatever comes of this I hope it goes well for ya.
 
Back
Top