BF4 woes

Tych-0

Gawd
Hey guys just a few comments to see how my experience is comparing to everybody elses. Sorry if this should have been posted in the official thread, I just didn't want my problems marring up the discussion in there.

First off, what FOV are other 1440p players finding is working best for them? I started with 120 and it looked amazing but I found aiming very hard, so I dropped it down to 90, which is what I used in BF3 and I'm finding it better.

So the game seems great but I'm having some weird problems that are seriously marring my experience. I have 2 GTX 780s in SLI, so my frames are nice and high as expected, but every few seconds I'm basically getting a very quick freeze, where everything video and audio just stops for a very short period of time; say like 50ms. This makes it very hard to aim and basically kills my ability to compete and my enjoyment and any sort of immersion along with it.

I'm wondering if the rest of my system (sig rig) is just not up to the challenge or if this is just a bug that needs to be fixed by DICE. I opened the windows resource monitor before playing for a while in a full 64p server and then tabbed out to see how my CPU and RAM were doing. I was surprised to see that my CPU peaked at only 88, averaging more around 70, and my RAM usage was only 71%, and I only have 6GB! On top of all that I was previously unable to even play the game for more than a few seconds without getting a directx error, which I ended up fixing by allowing windows to manage my virtual memory, which I previously had set to 1GB. This lead me to believe that I did not have enough memory and needed that swap file, but why in the world am I only using 71% of my RAM if this is the case?

Any insight or ideas?

Thanks!

If you're running Win7 like your signature shows, have you tried the core parking fix? That has solved much of the stuttering, according to the forum posts I've read. The links to guides are in the main BF4 thread.

Regarding RAM usage, I've read conflicting reports of BF4 usage - I would try the above fix first.

Definitely sounds like the core parking issue people have been dealing with like quadnad said. Give that a shot and report back.

When in game pull up ~consol and type perfoverlay.drawgraph 1

Post a screenshot of your results, also test by looking at the sky and taking a SS.

If you have a bunch of spikes do the core parking fix when you put all cores unparked.

Or do what I did and just Disable HT.

I've got a ton of CPU spikes on my perfoverlay under Windows 7 and a 2500k @ 4.3ghz. I've tried the core parking fix but it didn't make any difference. I've tried editing it through the registry and by using the tool, and verified through the Resource Monitor (I didn't see any parked cores), and the CPU doesn't have any HT to disable.

Game runs flawlessly on the same hardware with Windows 8 installed (trial), but I really rather not be forced to run Win 8 for one game. Is there something I'm missing?

I've got a ton of CPU spikes on my perfoverlay under Windows 7 and a 2500k @ 4.3ghz. I've tried the core parking fix but it didn't make any difference. I've tried editing it through the registry and by using the tool, and verified through the Resource Monitor (I didn't see any parked cores), and the CPU doesn't have any HT to disable.

Game runs flawlessly on the same hardware with Windows 8 installed (trial), but I really rather not be forced to run Win 8 for one game. Is there something I'm missing?

Not really. The game is totally developed with Windows 8 in mind. It seriously performs all around better with it.

If you intend to play a shit ton of BF4 then you may want to consider taking a "trial" to a "purchase".

Not really. The game is totally developed with Windows 8 in mind. It seriously performs all around better with it.

If you intend to play a shit ton of BF4 then you may want to consider taking a "trial" to a "purchase".

Agreed. I would definitely go with Windows 8 over Windows 7 for the price.
I think that there will also be a lot more games that will be optimized for Windows 8 as we go in to 2014.

Also, I really like the default field of view for all the resolution I've tried:
1080p, 1440p, and 5760x1080

Honestly I'd just wait for DICE to patch the game. It needs some serious fixes. I won't be bullied by Windows 8 just for one game :D

I am running Windows 7 and I find performance to be closely tied to the server. Some run completely smooth, others I seem to have hitching all over the place. The single play game runs just fine as expected with fps well into the 70s-90s with my GTX 670 SLI set up and Core i7 930.

can you try with a single card instead of SLI to see if it happens?

process of elimination.

Gents! Fixed! I did the core unparking and it now runs 100% smooth, it's just incredible how well this game runs after one small change. A change I completely expected not to do anything at all; you'd expect Windows to be able to handle this on it's own just fine, but no this is definitely the real deal and I implore anybody having similar issues to try the same thing. Core unparking is a 100% legit fix.

FYI, I did try with only one card and it was no different. Also I have left HT on, and it seems the extra logical cores are getting good use to; Shiz you might want to give the core unparking a try yourself and turn HT back on!

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

Last edited:
Back