BF4 shutdowns

sazuzaki

n00b
Hi, anyone else here have encountered playing BF4 and then your system just shuts down and resets.

I haven't had this problem before, usually the game would just crash and this problem is widely known to happen since the game is messed up right now.

But yesterday the shutdown/reset problem happened to me twice, first the game crashes then the next system restarts and that happened the 2nd time w/ in 20minutes after the first time.

Then after the 2nd time I haven't encountered the problem and I've played the game for 6hrs straight now, neither did I get the game crashed on me on that 6hr period.

normally I would think the PSU is going bad since a system suddenly shutting down during load means it's either the temperature is too high or the PSU isn't keeping up, I know for a fact my temps is not high since I've ran my OC w/ prime95 for 12hrs no problem and temps is maxing out at 81C while my GPU is maxing out at 57C (VRM1 61C and VRM2 57C).

And if it wasn't for BF4 known to be "f**ked up" right now I would automatically think it's the PSU's fault, but the fact that I haven't gotten the problem for the past 6hrs and the fact that it only happened when playing BF4 and it didn't happen when I ran Kombustor+Prime95 for 2hrs (to stress test the PSU) leaves me to believe it may just have something to do with the game itself..

let me know what you guys think, and my PC specs will be below.

CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7Ghz 1.368v
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
PSU: Seasonic X850
GPU: AMD R9 290X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb 1866Mhz

For the past month, I've been getting about 3 BSODs per night, while playing BF4. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fact that I jumped between a few drivers recently, for my AMD 7870. So I'm going to use a driver cleaner to clean off all AMD drivers and reload the chipset and videocard drivers.

If that doesn't work, I'll try relaxing my overclocks.

I just recently installed my OS so my drivers/registry is pretty clean. so far I've been playing ever since this post, no crash nor sudden restarts. maybe just a bug in the game that was being caused w/ some programs running on the background. I did shut off some of my start up programs.

Any SSDs? Certain Crucial firmware versions exhibit an issue that causes immediate reboots after about an hour of uptime or so.

oh my SSD is Corsair Force GT.

And after over 7Hrs of gameplay BF4 finally crashed, but it's the most common crash where BF4 becomes un-responsive and you had to pull up task manager to close it.

anyways that's it for me, haven't had any sleep LOL.

And just looked at my temps, it couldn't be the problem since my CPU and GPU never even touched 60C LOL.

BF4 and Far Cry 3 stress your systems in ways that nothing else can. Also Kombuster from what I remember is limited by AMD drivers to stop people from burning up their cards. I can tell you from experience that what is stable in Kombuster is NOT STABLE in BF4 or Far Cry 3. Try running your card at stock in BF4 for a night and see if it still crashes.

I personally have a second monitor and put MSI Afterburner on it. I run BF4's weapon test demo and see how stable my overclock is. After 15 mins of running it, I start blowing up the buildings and stuff with the Little Bird. If your overclock hangs in there for 15 minutes and then the destruction of all assets on the map, then your OC is stable.

:)

BF4 and Far Cry 3 stress your systems in ways that nothing else can. Also Kombuster from what I remember is limited by AMD drivers to stop people from burning up their cards. I can tell you from experience that what is stable in Kombuster is NOT STABLE in BF4 or Far Cry 3. Try running your card at stock in BF4 for a night and see if it still crashes.

I personally have a second monitor and put MSI Afterburner on it. I run BF4's weapon test demo and see how stable my overclock is. After 15 mins of running it, I start blowing up the buildings and stuff with the Little Bird. If your overclock hangs in there for 15 minutes and then the destruction of all assets on the map, then your OC is stable.

:)

I also ran Valley loop for 2hrs on my temp testing on my overclocks and OCCT for 1hr w/ error checking to verify my GPU overclocks is stable and all passed.

I don't really go for "play the game, if it plays 15minutes fine it's stable" coz I can clock upto 1150/1500 w/o any visual instability (artifacts) for hours but when it comes to OCCT run I get errors. The instability may cause crash in a minute or 10hrs of playing the game, it's uncertain. only way I verify my clocks is w/ OCCT.

Kombustor may not verify your OC Stability but running 1hr of OCCT w/ error checking should.

This is bf4 we are talking about. It may well be the game and not your rig.

Yeah, That's why I was skeptical which is the cause of the problem, again I never had that kind of "reset" problem before when playing BF4 and the only ones I had before is the occasional "BF4 not responding" crash which is pretty well known that the game gets that bug. And I've had this build for about a month and I only encountered that "reset" thing yesterday twice, and after that I've played over 7hrs of BF4 and only had 1 crash which is the BF4 not responding crash and my system hasn't "reset" by itself again.

Imma give it a few days if it happens again imma RMA the PSU, the PSU still is brand new and it's still under 30days from newegg til the Feb. 11th so I have time to stress it out further to see if it happens again, currently running prime95+valley again to stress the PSU, but I've done this same thing before for 4hrs and the reset thing didn't occur.

I just don't wanna RMA a PSU when it's not really the problem.

It could also be punkbuster doing random crap like checking drives the game isn't running on. I have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs and punkbuster will routinely hit those drives even though BF4 and Origin are on just 1 of them.

Maybe punk buster decides to check a drive that stopped spinning and crashed your PC. You could change windows power saving settings to never turn off your hard drives. It actually hurts them more to start and stop them that just let them spin anyways.

Probably just Battlefield being Battlefield though.

This happens to me as well. I have a 290X running Windows 8.1.

It ONLY happens with Battlefield 4. I could play any other game for hours with no issue, but 30 mins+ of BF4 and my system will eventually shut down or reset.

This happens to me as well. I have a 290X running Windows 8.1.

It ONLY happens with Battlefield 4. I could play any other game for hours with no issue, but 30 mins+ of BF4 and my system will eventually shut down or reset.

yesterdays case was my first time encountering it. I've googled it and seems like a lot of people are getting the same problem. I just can't understand how a bug in a game can cause a system to suddenly shut itself down and reset.. how can you mess up a code so bad that it causes system reset...

If it is a BF4 problem, it's actually a Windows problem. More likely, though, it's just a driver issue.

1. Back off all overclocks. It may not be the issue at all, but at least take the time to eliminate that variable. See if the issue still persists.
2. Its got to be a driver issue, more than likely a video driver issue. The game itself isn't triggering the reset. My guess is a recent patch to the game messes with how some of the graphics are rendered. There was a patch for BF4 released a little over a week ago. The driver must be locking up and not resetting itself like it should causing the reboot on top of the game crash.

I would do a repair install of BF4, update punkbuster manually, re-install latest video card drivers.

I had this problem with BF3 and it ended up being my PSU

Do you have any access to another PSU to test just incase?

Everyone talks about how messed up BF4 is and how f'd up it is but I think I've only had 1 lock up since I bought the game on Black Friday.

Thats really bizarre BF4 is giving you blue screens. Worst thing I've experienced is dropping a connection from a server or can't connect to one.

Are you absolutely sure your system is stable? Blue screens are definitely signs of a non stable over lock, ram or psu.

Thats really bizarre BF4 is giving you blue screens. Worst thing I've experienced is dropping a connection from a server or can't connect to one.

Are you absolutely sure your system is stable? Blue screens are definitely signs of a non stable over lock, ram or psu.

Me, I never had blue screens. most common problem I get is the game crashing or as you said I can't connect to a server (unless I connect to another server first then try that server I wanted to in the first place then I am able to connect).

So far have had 11hrs of gametime since the "reset" incident and only had 2 crashes which is the normal crash I get (game not responding crash) but other than that no "reset" incident has occurred.

And again, yes I am 200% sure my clocks are stable, temps are way under the max limit. GPU OC tested OCCT w/ error free, and the crashes (BF4 not responding crash) also happens when my GPU isn't OC'd and my CPU OC has passed thru more than 18hrs total of prime95 run and IBT max load 20passes.

And I am pretty sure my system only needs around 650watts or so but I made sure I have headroom and got a 850watts PSU for it and I've ran Prime95+valley and Prime95+kombustor to stress the PSU and no reset incident occurred.

Everyone talks about how messed up BF4 is and how f'd up it is but I think I've only had 1 lock up since I bought the game on Black Friday.

That doesn't mean problems don't exist, it means you're just one of the lucky ones that hasn't gotten the existing problems all that much.

i never had the reset problem , but lately my system freeze completely when playing bf4 and nothing else.

i never had the reset problem , but lately my system freeze completely when playing bf4 and nothing else.

Yeah that's one of the common problems being encountered on BF4. so far my system hasn't reset again during BF4, BF4 crashed twice on me after that but nothing un-common has occurred again.

Such a massive waste of money for me and biggest disappointment of a game ever. $100 for premium version, game play and leveling is garbage, so many freaking bugs. BF3 was a lot better in every way for me. Was looking forward to Star Wars Battlefront, but if they can fuck up their main franchise this bad, I sure as hell am not pay a $100 premium for a junk/buggy star wars game. Really let me down Dice. Till you clean up quality control, not buying your crap. 1942 is still the best battlefield you have ever released. :mad:

What other games have you tried playing with your system?

I've had similar problems and it was a bad psu. I could run furmark + prime95/ibt forever, but it would turn off while playing modern games. Shogun 2 / Rome 2 would cause it to happen for me.

Back