BF4 "network smoothing"

wixter

Weaksauce
I wanted to create this thread separate from the official thread because a lot of people have wondered exactly what sort of difference this setting makes on different servers. I was hoping some could offer their input on what setting they have used and also be sure to report what your average ping to the server you played on.

So I'll go first. A server I usually play on, I average about 45ms ping and I seem to get the best gameplay with the setting at 50%.

I admit I have no idea what it does - i think i have mine cranked down to 0% which means im probably not getting the best experience.

I ping anywhere from 15ms to 50ms depending on the server I play on, will try to fiddle with it this evening and over the next few days.

I'm guessing it's the time spent interpolating -- it being too low risks people and other stuff appearing stuttery / warpy. Increasing it will fix that, but introduce "latency," which may or may not be lag compensated for. So you're pretty much trading responsiveness for people potentially appearing jittery.

I know that the setting seems completely arbitrary at times, some even wondering if it has any impact at all.

What I'm asking for is to just post the average ping time you have to one of your favorite servers and then also include what smoothing setting seemed to work best for you.

If we have enough people respond to this thread then hopefully it can serve as a rough guide to use in the future.

My ping is usually about 75ms average.

I've messed with the setting quite a bit. What I've found is if I have the setting set to 0% my close combat encounters seem to be more precise. As in I no longer get those stupid run around a corner and magically insta-die or I unload on a guy and I do nothing to him and he turns around and one shots me.

However, with it set to 0 it is more jittery at longer ranges and It seems to be a little more difficult to hit targets at a further range.

I've found that setting the smoothing to around 20% seems to be the sweet spot for me if I'm playing conquest on a larger map. If i'm playing a CQ type map i'll set it to 0 to get a better edge.

I honestly think its pretty stupid to have to adjust a network smoothing setting. They should just fix the damn game.

I honestly think its pretty stupid to have to adjust a network smoothing setting. They should just fix the damn game.

:headdesk: That just tells me you dont understand what its for. Their game can't fix your ping to a server or the nature of TCP/IP communication.

My ping is usually about 75ms average.

I've messed with the setting quite a bit. What I've found is if I have the setting set to 0% my close combat encounters seem to be more precise. As in I no longer get those stupid run around a corner and magically insta-die or I unload on a guy and I do nothing to him and he turns around and one shots me.

However, with it set to 0 it is more jittery at longer ranges and It seems to be a little more difficult to hit targets at a further range.

I've found that setting the smoothing to around 20% seems to be the sweet spot for me if I'm playing conquest on a larger map. If i'm playing a CQ type map i'll set it to 0 to get a better edge.

My experience is similar to yours. 0% is jittery, 10-20% just right. 50% actually results in lag. I'm typically at 50ms or less of lag.

lathorus said:
Its a setting that needs to be there. Hell, I've seen tweaks that did something similar back when I was playing HL2 deathmatch and CS:Source done via command line, and I've seen similar tweaks in other games. It has potential to be game changing, especially with the way tcp/ip and latency works. What needs to be fixed is the lack of documentation on it.

My experience is similar to yours. 0% is jittery, 10-20% just right. 50% actually results in lag. I'm typically at 50ms or less of lag.

Its a setting that needs to be there. Hell, I've seen tweaks that did something similar back when I was playing HL2 deathmatch and CS:Source done via command line, and I've seen similar tweaks in other games. It has potential to be game changing, especially with the way tcp/ip and latency works. What needs to be fixed is the lack of documentation on it.

I changed it to 25 and notice my kdr has skyrocketed. I guess I should tweak it some more. My ping usually ranges from 15-40, and I was getting frustrated at unloading an entire clip at point blank only to be one shotted and noticed the enemy still had 100 health.

:headdesk: That just tells me you dont understand what its for. Their game can't fix your ping to a server or the nature of TCP/IP communication.

Ouch don't do that. I do understand what it's for. Maybe you can be more constructive by enlightening us with your thoughts and experiences with the "network smoothing" option.

Last edited:
Back