BF4 and Resolution Scale...needs [H] testing!

Brackle

Old Timer
HOLY crap.....Tried to put resolution scale at 150% maxed out graphics (no FXAA of course) with 4xMSAA, My god I could not keep a solid 60fps with my setup below @1440p.....It taxed my graphics cards at 99% and made them weep lol.

Anyone found a good sweet spot for resolution scale? What exactly does it do? I honestly tried to do some research but I didnt find any concrete info on it. I would do more testing, but im at work...

Post your results if you can

I believe it's a form of supersampling, it renders the image at a higher resolution and scales the image down.

It's basically OGSSAA as far as I can tell. And yes, it's a performance pig - I highly doubt anyone will realistically run 150%..... It's probably a feature that is there as a form of future proofing, i'm sure people will still play BF4 2 years from now and we'll be well into 20nm GPU cycles by then. By that point it MIGHT be usable at 150%. ;) Definitely not now though.

Well that explains that....Kinda nice they added a Supersampling option. I finally left it at 125% and it seemed to stay around 60fps, Was playing the map with the dam (and that annoying voice that doesn't shut up).

Man with 4x MSAA and that option no wonder my video cards were crying....hmm

Thanks again guys

You probably need less MSAA when using resolution scaling, I would try to compare 60 fps with high AA settings and no resolution scaling vs no AA and high resolution scaling and see which one looks better.

Ditch MSAA,

No way I could do that....Not a fan of the blur that is FXAA in this game. When I play a game maxed out 4xMSAA is a must.

I can run 4xMSAA and 125% resolution scale and hover around 60 just fine.

No way I could do that....Not a fan of the blur that is FXAA in this game. When I play a game maxed out 4xMSAA is a must.

That's what I do with my Titans.

Supersampling is the mother of all antialiasing - if you are running at higher resolution scales, you can tone down (or even completely turn off, if high enough) MSAA, as everything you see is already being antialiased anyway. Also, it makes little sense of course to use FXAA in conjunction with any form of resolution scaling/supersampling.

Supersampling is the mother of all antialiasing - if you are running at higher resolution scales, you can tone down (or even completely turn off, if high enough) MSAA, as everything you see is already being antialiased anyway. Also, it makes little sense of course to use FXAA in conjunction with any form of resolution scaling/supersampling.

yea I use to run SSAA with Skyrim and my 7950's. Loved the look of SSAA.

What I might try is 2xMSAA and bring up the resolution scale. I know Supersampling will give AA to everything even the vegatation, which MSAA wont....Interesting indeed.

Supersampling will also reduce artifacts which AA wont reduce, such as simmering. It's expensive, but it's the best AA you can get.

If I understand it correctly it scales resolution right?

So 1080p with 133% scaling = 1440p?

No transparency and shader antialiasing = game looks like dick

WOO YEAH!! 15 LESS FPS FOR THIS QUALITY!!!!

http://www.abload.de/img/msaap0jdl.png

If you have power to burn then bump the res further. MSAA is redundant in 2013.

FXAA/SMAA or SSAA

There is no use for MSAA.

No transparency and shader antialiasing = game looks like dick

WOO YEAH!! 15 LESS FPS FOR THIS QUALITY!!!!

http://www.abload.de/img/msaap0jdl.png

If you have power to burn then bump the res further. MSAA is redundant in 2013.

FXAA/SMAA or SSAA

There is no use for MSAA.

Only people who say there is no use for MSAA dont have the power to run it, or the Video memory....

MSAA is still one of the best forms of AA, Of course Supersampling is king.

Edit: Looking at your sig, I can see why you dont use MSAA.

Also lets not turn this into a MSAA vs FXAA thread, There is one already at the top of this forum.

Only people who say there is no use for MSAA dont have the power to run it, or the Video memory....

MSAA is still one of the best forms of AA, Of course Supersampling is king.

Edit: Looking at your sig, I can see why you dont use MSAA.

Trying to justify you Epeen, Dashit?

I said there is nothing wrong with power. MSAA is just plain terrible.

Also lets not turn this into a MSAA vs FXAA thread, There is one already at the top of this forum.

You keep double posting and it wont be ;)

Trying to justify you Epeen, Dashit?

I said there is nothing wrong with power. MSAA is just plain terrible.

Nope, Just stating a fact. MSAA takes power to run it. If you want to run the latest games with maxed graphics, you have to take MSAA into account.

MSAA isnt terrible. IT's been one of the best forms of AA since the 9700pro days...FXAA is nice and works when you dont have the power to run MSAA.

Usually people who say MSAA sucks are the people who run it. Just stating facts.

Now please back on topic, and stop bringing up how terrible you think MSAA is.

Nope, Just stating a fact. MSAA takes power to run it. If you want to run the latest games with maxed graphics, you have to take MSAA into account.

MSAA isnt terrible. IT's been one of the best forms of AA since the 9700pro days...FXAA is nice and works when you dont have the power to run MSAA.

Usually people who say MSAA sucks are the people who run it. Just stating facts.

Now please back on topic, and stop bringing up how terrible you think MSAA is.

You sound like people who buy Apple and Alienware. Trying to justify purchases.
Money =/= sense.

Just because it is in the settings and is the hardest thing to run doesn't make it any better. If you were smart about it you would be running a higher resolution.

Just trying to help you, man.

You sound like people who buy Apple and Alienware. Trying to justify purchases.
Money =/= sense.

Just because it is in the settings and is the hardest thing to run doesn't make it any better. If you were smart about it you would be running a higher resolution.

Just trying to help you, man.

Look man, I know your trolling....But seriously, saying your trying to help me by telling MSAA sucks? really man? Please stop trying to troll this thread.

You already told me im showing my epeen, telling me I buy apple and alienware? How much more insulting are you going to be?

Please back on topic.

Look man, I know your trolling....But seriously, saying your trying to help me by telling MSAA sucks? really man? Please stop trying to troll this thread.

You already told me im showing my epeen, telling me I buy apple and alienware? How much more insulting are you going to be?

Please back on topic.

The Apple/Alienware point was a topical reference. Not an accusation.

You're*

AA just blurs the image in most games these days, I'd rather have jaggies

I always called the process of making a larger image and then reducing it to the size of your monitor Downsampling. I typically cut MSAA off when doing it and turn FXAA on. In BF4 the FXAA looks like grease on a set of glasses, so I just leave that off also. I tried it at 200% just then, but a few times I would get some mouse lag. I assume this is because my setup is being pushed really hard. So I'll leave this off for now until DICE fixes all of the crashing and stuff. Don't need more things to worry about.

If you like Downsampling, you'll be pleased to know that the new racer Project Cars has the ability to turn on 9x Downsampling. I'd like to see quad Titans or 290x pushing that. Here are some screenshots of it from the game . Here is a game trailer that obviously uses Downsampling.

HOLY crap.....Tried to put resolution scale at 150% maxed out graphics (no FXAA of course) with 4xMSAA, My god I could not keep a solid 60fps with my setup below @1440p.....It taxed my graphics cards at 99% and made them weep lol.

Anyone found a good sweet spot for resolution scale? What exactly does it do? I honestly tried to do some research but I didnt find any concrete info on it. I would do more testing, but im at work...

Post your results if you can

125%. That'll use 3066mb vram out of 3072. Enjoy :)

I'm still trying to figure out if the SSAA % refers to over all pixel count or the increase in the Hor/Vert numbers. If it's 150% in Hor and Vert then that's a 4K down sample on a 1440p monitor.

Did some more testing before work. Looks like the sweet spot so far is either 4xMSAA with 130% resolution scale, or 2xMSAA with 160% resolution scale.

Personally like the 4xmsaa with 130%.. Seems good sweet spot to stay pretty close to 60fps.

I'm now running 135 with no AA at all at 1920x1200. It looks better than 100 with msaa.

I'm running a mix of ultra/low @ 1440P to maximize detail and get the best frame rates and I'm running smoothly at ~60fps with 120% scaling with no AA turned on. Looks pretty good to me. When I get my 2nd 7950 I'll turn up the eye candy.

i played around with this yesterday at 1440 resolution. to my eyes, 100% resolution scale with 2XMSAA looked better than 110% resolution scale with 0xMSAA. both ran about the same. more than 110% put too much strain on my system. also i believe i experienced a touch of input lag when using 110% resolution scale. so i'm sticking with 100% and 2xMSAA.

That's interesting. I swear 135% with no AA looks better than 100% with 2xMSAA

We need to start compiling some comparison images...

1080p @ Ultra, no Post AA.

200% scale, 4xMSAA
Urd27m4.jpg

200% scale, 0xMSAA
cSRUhia.jpg

150% scale, 4xMSAA
cMV7SfR.jpg

150% scale, 0xMSAA
LP5BuRc.jpg

100% scale, 4xMSAA
zd1Zx41.jpg

100% scale, 0xMSAA
oM2ABhu.jpg

The jpg compression makes them harder to actually compare. I can see some compression artifacts around edges.

can someone tell me what this 120% or more is that you're all taking about?

I need to play with this, but with 2GB GTX670's pushing 1600p, I think I'll be running out of VRAM long before I run out of processing power. I'm currently running a mix of high/ultra with no FXAA and 2xMSAA at 100%, and it could definitely look better.

Wow those screenshots show exactly why I was choosing Resolution scale + MSAA.

I mean that 200% + 4xMSAA is amazing, but let me tell ya it brought my PC to its knee's.

Really wish I could run 150% + 4xmsaa.....must overclock more!

thanks for those screenshots dude really makes every see clearly what's going on exactly.

So @ 1080p 150% is basically 1440p correct? going to try this.

4xmsaa and fxaa low is a good compromise, off course ssaa is da best thing but even sli 780ti will rush keeping 60fps

Back