BF3! What Graphics settings?

teletran8

2[H]4U
So I have had some time to actually play BF3 lately. Went through all the settings Low, Medium, High, Ultra.
Noticed in High and Ultra it enables Ambient Occlusion, So I turned it on in Nvidia Control Panel.
34hvsdl.png

Ok I like it. Does anyone know the difference between Performance and Quality for Ambient Occlusion setting? ( I don't)

Also I would like to play at highest graphics settings. Should I enable or disable FXAA? I've been running with BF3 Ultra settings, Ambient Occlusion on Quality in Nvidia Control Panel, I've been running Anti-Aliasing to Application controlled. What else oh yeah 16x AF and 8x (Supersample).

Is FXAA and App controlled with Supersample 8x what I should be selecting...It looks really good when I play Noshar Canals TDM only thing that looks jagged is the wires above the trains on that map, and honestly it's not that jagged but I can see it from the distance.

I get about 32fps-80fps on Noshar Canals and it's very playable for me I generally get top 10 rank on 64 man server, usually top 5 or so these last couple days. MY K/D ratio is not that good though lmao :D

I was wondering what settings [H] forums members run their Nvidia cards on also. So drop your opinion or settings if you don't mind. Thx!

I turn everything up all the way. I love nose hair canals too. Suggest you turn on adaptive Vsync, no need for extra work. Try also overclocking your gpu.

Last edited:
I turn everything up all the way. I love nose hair canals too. Suggest you turn on adaptive Vsync, no need for extra work. Try also overclocking your gpu.

I tried the adaptive Vsync, it seems to do good maybe it keeps the frames more stable.

Anyone answer the FXAA/AA Multisampling question. Is that overkill or whats the best AA combination for BF3?

I think you are better off running 4x MSAA (deferred) and then medium for FXAA (post-process AA in the settings) if you want, instead of trying to force 8x. And I don't know that setting ambient occlusion in the control panel is right/needed - you can set either HBAO or SSAO in the BF3 control panel to get ambient occlusion.

I think you are better off running 4x MSAA (deferred) and then medium for FXAA (post-process AA in the settings) if you want, instead of trying to force 8x. And I don't know that setting ambient occlusion in the control panel is right/needed - you can set either HBAO or SSAO in the BF3 control panel to get ambient occlusion.

Yeah 4xMSAA might keep me more in the 60's on FPS. I didnt know there was a medium FXAA I will have to check that in my options/control panel. There's like 10 settings to do in this game, it's rather crazy to get it all dialed in optimaly yet with ultra, and running the best it can for X system. I think I'm getting closer now though. thx :)

With powerful cards,
All ultra w/ High Effects and low FXAA.

The FXAA in this game is very blurring, and as for effects if they are on ultra certain explosions can drop FPS below 50 even on the best performing cards

2x MSAA if you need more FPS overall

Mesh is draw distance, including, importantly, enemy draw distance, so keep it as high as possible

adaptive vsync may introduce stuttering. Compare it with regular vsync + triple buffering on your system

Back