BF3 problem after installing GTX680 (into older computer .. comments on that too))

Baconstrip

Limp Gawd
So last night a friend found a lone EVGA GTX 680 at Microcenter on the shelf for me.. I've been looking for one in anticipation to building my new computer after Ivy Bridge stuff comes out.

I popped the thing in my current box (e8400 dual core 3.16ghz, 4gb PC2-8500) replacing my GTX 260, just until I build my new one.

For one, I have to say, I might not even NEED a new computer. I also just got a 2560x1440 monitor and this thing STILL smokes every game I throw at it at ridiculously cool temperatures. I played Skyrim with an edited INI file for extra graphics and it runs flawlessly.

I also loaded up Battlefield 3, which crippled my gtx260 @ 2560x1440 resolution. To my surprise the game ran 30-60 FPS after turning everything to ULTRA. Only I have a really, really bad problem.

I get into the game and instantly my ping shoots to 800. I cannot move forward as it rubberbands me back to where I was. I can see everything going on around me, and everyone else can see and shoot at me, but can't kill me. (everyone was like IS HE CHEATING?!). Then the little disconnect symbol appears in the upper right corner.

I have never had this happen before installing this GTX 680. The game itself runs amazingly well, but no matter what server I join, it's exactly the same. My connection is totally fine and nothing else on my computer has changed other than the 680, and I played BF3 daily.

Anyone heard of this? It has to be related to the GTX680, only I'm completely clueless as to what the issue could be. I uninstalled and am reinstalling BF3 as we speak (I'm at work) so maybe that will fix it, but I doubt it.

Thanks in advance, and FYI, the GTX 680 runs amazingly in a 3+ year old computer :)

Last edited:
Well, I have read that the game chokes on 4GB or less. I'd imagine it's a TON... though like I said, I used to play the game everyday with no problems.. I'll have to check after work.

just sounds like now that you've cranked the options up and are utilizing that fast GPU its maxing out the rest of your system resources causing your ping to skyrocket since the packets of data are taking the backseat so to speak.

Try to lower all your settings in the game down to the bare minimum and see if it still happens.

Also you need to try more than one (multiplayer) game.

Sounds entirely possible, Vulcan. I did indeed try different games that all worked just fine. Nothing as intensive as BF3 though.

Still odd, I would expect the framerate to be limited before it somehow affected my ping, but the framerate is -great- :(

Seriously, you're bottlenecking that card so much that I want to cry...

Don't cry! I'm building a new computer once Ivy Bridge is released a week from now... I just snatched this up early because of the major availability issues. I couldn't wait for the new box to install it :D

She will have a proper home soon enough!

Can you throw in another 4gigs and see what happens? If MB won't allow that, then it's time to lower settings.

I was going to, but running DDR2 PC2-8500 Ram. It's way too expensive to justify putting into an old machine that is going to be replaced. If I could get my hands on some cheap stuff I would :)

Ive been putting a lot of machines together to do a mini lan center at one of the PC repair shops I own, and I would say from my experience piecing combos together to play this game that you are severely processor limited.

If you could overclock that to 4-4.5 temporarily I would bet on a pretty healthy increase.

Well since your upgrading soon, then try lowering settings, and watching to make sure your not over 4GB memory usage. If you can offload/shed some of the memory usage & overhead of the CPU, it might help. It's not a good idea to spend a lot keeping your rig running, but you did just buy a gtx 680, so if your going to do a build soon maybe it's time for an SSD, you can use it in your current rig in the mean time if your so inclined, and it might help matters.

Actually, a reinstall fixed it. Its still quite limited by the cpu/ram, but its definitely playable. Ordered the new box too though, didn't wanna wait for ivy (and I'm hearing lots of negativity anyways). Picked up a 256gb samsung ssd as well :p.

So yeah, I guess this is all a moot thread now. The bottlenecking of my current setup is definitely massive with the 680!

Back