• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BF3 Performance Issues / Lag???

JesseMoody

n00b
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
17
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to share up my issues.

So I'm getting some weird issues. Here is my pc specs.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
16 Gigs DDR3 G Skill SDRAM
EVGA GTX 570 (latest drivers 285.62)
OCZ Solid 3 SSD 120gig (have my os installed on this and currently bf3) (incorrectly labled it agility earlier)
Sound Blaster XFI Fatality (older one with front panel for pc with inputs on it)
(Onboard sound controller has been disabled)

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze
Now I can get anywhere from 60-85fps constant on servers but every so often I get major spikes. First I thought it was lag until i kept up task manager and my fps displayed in bf3 and saw that the CPU was spiking like mad and as a result the frame rate dropped drastically.

There is no way my system should be dropping like this. Anyone else having these issues? I was playing on ultra (everything) ran fine but with these issues. So I dropped down to full on medium and it still had it. So I don't think it's the game but I could be mistaken.

Any clues?
 
Last edited:
Is the CPU spike coming from BF3 itself?

Yeah. I mean I kill all unnecessary applications/processes and don't have these issues with say Rage for example.

Only happens when playing BF2.

Can't be my net connection.

1562960474.png


Any ideas? Maybe a memory leak? Bad CPU management in BF3 code?

Just get's bad when flying and people getting mad because I fly right into a tree or some other obstacle that normally I would have avoided.
 
Yeah. I mean I kill all unnecessary applications/processes
Just because they're necessary doesn't mean they're not the problem. I had a similar issue last week, and it turned out to be coming from explorer.exe. Same thing a couple of years ago from Firefox.

Grab Process Explorer, turn on the "CPU History" column, and find out for sure who's causing the spikes.
 
was trying to make a joke that porn surfing may have cause a decrease in performance and load spikes.... my bad.
 
Just because they're necessary doesn't mean they're not the problem. I had a similar issue last week, and it turned out to be coming from explorer.exe. Same thing a couple of years ago from Firefox.

Grab Process Explorer, turn on the "CPU History" column, and find out for sure who's causing the spikes.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks
 
Ok so looking at Process Explorer it looks like System Idle Process, Interrupts (hardware interrupts and DPCs) are up near the top with BF3.

Any ideas?
 
Also note it is doing this on low settings across the board too.

FPS will drop from 80-12 in seconds then back up

This is beyond frustrating. Never had these issues.
 
fixed error in first post

OCZ Solid 3 SSD 120gig (have my os installed on this and currently bf3) (incorrectly labled it agility earlier)
 
All the lags, kicks, rubber banding, etc. that I have seen are server based problems, because they were and have happened to everyone else, in game. So why is everyone thinking they can do much about it on their end.

FYI, to the person above w/ the large pictures.........please reduce their size. This is really annoying. Pls be kind to those w/ smaller screens and slower connections. People will be more likely to read your post, or consider your thoughts.
 
All the lags, kicks, rubber banding, etc. that I have seen are server based problems, because they were and have happened to everyone else, in game. So why is everyone thinking they can do much about it on their end.

FYI, to the person above w/ the large pictures.........please reduce their size. This is really annoying. Pls be kind to those w/ smaller screens and slower connections. People will be more likely to read your post, or consider your thoughts.

Markdek, this isn't net lag. I know what that is and I know I can't do anything about it. If you took the time to read my posts then you would know I wasn't talking about net lag. This also happens in single player.

It's a system issue on peoples ends that are playing the game. Not server/net side.

As for the pictures. I left them that big so people could read the text on them.

It's 2011 I am pretty sure everyone has at least a 19" screen by now but I went ahead and resized them anyways.
 
No harm...but I am posting this on a 9" netbook. Computer lag, relative to what? How do you know?;) You're talking about fps drops because of cpu spikes, right?
 
Last edited:
Semi related note.. How did you get that graph in the bottom left corner?
 
Honestly i dont what the deal is. I was playing rage on my 9800gtx 512mb and settings were scaled low and it ran fine. I upgraded my psu and video card to a gtx570 and now its stuttering in games and acting all weird. Maybe i need to format and redo it all but it just doesnt make sense. Why is it performing worse now with much superior equipment?
 
I have the same issue, I run an i7, 2600k, SLI 580's and get the same stuttering, even with everything on low and for the heck of it i tired running it at 640 x 480. Still get that stuttering. I did do the HT disable fix and to my surprise it did fix 90% of it, I don't really get those big spikes anymore, I get them maybe when the level first loads.

I still don't think I should be getting them, but at least I can ease off a bit with the HT fix.
 
I need help please. My configuration:

i7 920 @ 4000MHz HT off
6Gb RAM DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GXT295 1.8GB

All LOW, without filers and others.

My performance is very bad, the game runs lagged everytime, I activated the perfoverlay commands and I see this:

http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-1-7085802.html [subirimagenes.com]

The graphic shows the performance of GPU and CPU, the numers are always changing red/white and see the minium CPU fps, is 3.79 as GPU is 19.85

Can somebody help me to fix this error and improve my performance? Please, I can't play and I would play to this game. Thanks.
 
i get micro stutter and random black textuers with MSAA on 2 or 4 sometimes it doesnt texture glitch but still spikes like crazy with ht on off overclocked stock its random but im still addicted wont play anythign else for a while lol
 
I have the same issue, I run an i7, 2600k, SLI 580's and get the same stuttering, even with everything on low and for the heck of it i tired running it at 640 x 480. Still get that stuttering. I did do the HT disable fix and to my surprise it did fix 90% of it, I don't really get those big spikes anymore, I get them maybe when the level first loads.

I still don't think I should be getting them, but at least I can ease off a bit with the HT fix.

But even then you shouldn't have any spikes at all on low settings. None of us should. Seems like something is really jacked up somewhere in the code and needs to be fixed asap.

Flying with this stuff is horrendous.
 
I was told to unplug my wired 360 controller and that might help a bit. I am very skeptical about this one...

I'll report back.
 
I need help please. My configuration:

i7 920 @ 4000MHz HT off
6Gb RAM DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GXT295 1.8GB

All LOW, without filers and others.

My performance is very bad, the game runs lagged everytime, I activated the perfoverlay commands and I see this:

http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-1-7085802.html [subirimagenes.com]

The graphic shows the performance of GPU and CPU, the numers are always changing red/white and see the minium CPU fps, is 3.79 as GPU is 19.85

Can somebody help me to fix this error and improve my performance? Please, I can't play and I would play to this game. Thanks.

Anyone can help me? please
 
I was having spikes also and one night I manually updated punkbuster, re-installed CAP4, and changed to IE as my default browser instead of FF. I am not sure which one of these did it (prob CAP4), but now I am not spiking.

Hope this helps someone.
 
I just wanted to say that I was having the EXACT same issues. I resolved them.. how? By disabling any Ultra setting. It has now been documented by DICE that Ultra settings use 1.5GB of VRAM. You need 2GB VRAM card to run Ultra settings.. SLI/Crossfire, dual GPU or not.

2GB VRAM or set the game to High.
 
I just wanted to say that I was having the EXACT same issues. I resolved them.. how? By disabling any Ultra setting. It has now been documented by DICE that Ultra settings use 1.5GB of VRAM. You need 2GB VRAM card to run Ultra settings.. SLI/Crossfire, dual GPU or not.

2GB VRAM or set the game to High.

Where'd you see that from Dice - and did they mention anything about dynamic VRAM scaling? You can definitely run some Ultra settings under 1.5GB, if not all. Ultra minus MSAA seems to stay under 1.5GB, at least from what I've seen using Afterburner.
 
2GB VRAM or set the game to High.
Having never even played it, I'm pretty sure that's not necessary. Most things aren't really memory-heavy. You'd only need to drop a couple of settings to lower your VRAM usage. (Start with textures...)
 
If anyone has a 360 controller plugged in. Unplug and test. Mines working nicely for now.
 
I constantly get that rubber banding lag and randomly 'warps' backwards/forwards when in large servers, definitely isn't an internet connection problem and most likely server side cannot keep up. Since we cannot download the server software and use our own dedicated servers, we most likely won't see the end of lag until dice does something about it.
 
I constantly get that rubber banding lag and randomly 'warps' backwards/forwards when in large servers, definitely isn't an internet connection problem and most likely server side cannot keep up. Since we cannot download the server software and use our own dedicated servers, we most likely won't see the end of lag until dice does something about it.

Supposedly there is anew patch out that fixes it. Haven't tried it yet to see though.
 
Ok had a bit of chugging. Turned down the MSAA, changed my AO settings to SSAO and set my texture quality to high instead of ultra. Fixed everything.

Don't really notice a difference either and is running fantastic.
 
Even on 'Auto' settings, I am now getting 100% CPU spikes very often on every map. During the spikes there is terrible graphical lag ("rubber-banding") and the game becomes mostly unplayable.

The strange thing is, this was not a problem before I recently reinstalled Windows 7. The only things different are new AMD video drivers and that I have far, far less things installed than before.

All of my other games so far are working fine, so I don't understand what's changed with Battlefield 3 to make this CPU spike issue start. I've tried the obvious, although I'm hesitant to tweak the graphic settings in-game much because I found 'Auto' to be absolutely perfect for me up until my recent Windows reinstall.

Ben
 
Back
Top